Atlas Model Railroad Co. - New Features On Loksound Decoders
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 80 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 DCC Forums
 DCC Forum
 New Features On Loksound Decoders
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Topic Next Topic: Adding Cab06 to NCE Powercab?  

Mark R.

Posted - 2012 April 18 :  5:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark R.'s Homepage
Just recently heard that new Loksound decoders will have not only manual notching, but proto-typically correct functioning dynamic brakes !

I installed one of the new decoders and have been having great fun with it. The manual notching can be activated at any time using F9 to notch up and F10 to notch down. When the prime mover is set down to idle and the throttle is at speed step 0, manual notching is automatically de-activated and the decoder reverts back to automatic notching. By increasing the notching at any time using F9, manual notching is again activated.

The next really cool thing is the proto-typically correct dynamic brakes. Every other decoder I've witnessed has a function button that just turns on a dynamic brake fan sound - nothing else .... hardly proto-typical !

On a real engine, the prime mover must be in idle to activate the dynamic brakes. With this new Loksound feature, pressing F4 does a few things. First, it will send the prime mover down to an idle (independant of actual throttle setting) followed by the dynamic fan sound kicking in. This also activates an internal timer, so even if you turn off the dynamic fan, the prime mover will remain in idle simulating the engine "coasting". It will remain in idle until it either times out, OR the throttle step is increased or decreased. At that point, the prime mover will run back up to where the current speed step is set. This will work with both automatic AND manual notching.

How cool is that ? Realistic features like this are elevating sound decoders to a whole new level - you are going way beyond just turning a bunch of sounds on and off. This enables you to not only control the speed of your engine, but interact proto-typically with the sounds and how they are actually supposed function !

Mark.
My Custom Painting Site

Tom M.

Posted - 2012 April 18 :  7:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom M.'s Homepage
Mark,

As someone just reminded me yesterday (hmmm, I wonder who that was), read the manual. The latest Tsunami diesel decoders incorporate several options for dynamic braking.

For most first generation diesels, when dynamic brakes were applied the throttle would drop to notch 1. CV 116 provides this option by adding 64 to the base line CV setting. For example, if you had a value of 7, you'd change the value to 71 to activate this option.

For more modern units, railroads had the option to have the setting drop to Notch 4 or even notch 8. These options are supported by adding 128 or 192 to the value, respectively.

With this adjustment made, when you press the F4 key the prime mover sound automatically begins a gradual throttle down (or up) depending on your setting. At the same time, the dynamic brake sound begins to increase until it hits its volume setting (volume set by CV133) When you hit F4 again, the dynamic brake sound drops and the throttle automatically begins to progress through the notches to return to the former throttle setting.

I've installed LokSound decoders at the request of some of my clients. I have to agree that feature/function is very good (especially motor control), but the translation of the user documentation from German to English is rough. Some products I used did not even have translations done (Thank goodness we web-based translation tools!)

Tom

Edited by - Tom M. on 2012 April 18 7:49:58 PM

Mark R.

Posted - 2012 April 18 :  8:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark R.'s Homepage
Not sure if that is even in the Loksound manual yet.

Didn't know that about about the Tsunami's .... but then, I've never had any need / reason to look into it !

Since I mostly deal with Loksound decoders, it was brought to my attention. Now that you've brought this to my attention, I probably will look into it as a comparison.

.... not that I'm about to switch !

Mark.

My Custom Painting Site

nberpa

Posted - 2012 April 18 :  8:47:40 PM  Show Profile
I just ordered a loksound select direct 2 days ago so maybe it'll have the same stuff on it!

nberpa

Modelling the modern day Central Pennsylvania "shortline" Nittany and Bald Eagle Railroad
from Milesburg, PA to Lock Haven, PA.

NBER Fall foliage excursion waits in Lock Haven Yard for a Norfolk Southern coal train to come into the yard from the West before headed back East to Bellefonte.

Mark R.

Posted - 2012 April 18 :  10:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark R.'s Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by nberpa

I just ordered a loksound select direct 2 days ago so maybe it'll have the same stuff on it!

Depends who / when it was programmed. The latest version with the manual notching just came online a couple weeks ago. If whoever programmed your decoder did it just prior to being shipped, you should have this feature installed

Mark.

My Custom Painting Site

trra

Posted - 2012 April 20 :  10:46:24 AM  Show Profile
Mark,
Which ESU decorder did you use? Are the sound files preloaded? I have a Kato SD38-2 that I would like to add sound to.

John

Mark R.

Posted - 2012 April 20 :  1:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark R.'s Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by trra

Mark,
Which ESU decorder did you use? Are the sound files preloaded? I have a Kato SD38-2 that I would like to add sound to.

John

You're in luck John, the SD38-2 is one of Loksounds latest releases with all new recordings - it sounds great ! For your Kato engine, I would probably recommend the Select Aux4 with the 8-pin harness.

The sounds are usually loaded by the retailer on an as-needed basis. You might want to verify with your retailer that they are using the latest programming on the decoders. As long as they are using the current version (4.3.1) on their programmer, you will have all the latest features.

Mark.

My Custom Painting Site

diburning

Posted - 2012 April 20 :  3:53:34 PM  Show Profile
The new 16-645 Non-Turbo Loksound Select file from ESU is the BEST I've ever heard. It was recorded from an SD38-2 and will work in anything that uses a 16-645 without a turbocharger. It sounds better than Tsunami! The horns aren't QSI quality, but they're a hair better than the Tsunami.

trra

Posted - 2012 April 22 :  09:39:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info. What speaker would recommend? Any advice you may have would be helpful as I have never tried sound before.

John

Mark R.

Posted - 2012 April 22 :  3:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark R.'s Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by trra

Thanks for the info. What speaker would recommend? Any advice you may have would be helpful as I have never tried sound before.

John

The answer to that question is always - The largest one that will fit ! Usually the 16mm X 35mm is about the biggest that will fit inside a typical hood unit. Obviously, for wider bodies like F's, E's, etc., you can use a much bigger speaker.

Mark.

My Custom Painting Site

Ken Rice

Posted - 2012 April 22 :  9:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken Rice's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by diburning

The new 16-645 Non-Turbo Loksound Select file from ESU is the BEST I've ever heard. It was recorded from an SD38-2 and will work in anything that uses a 16-645 without a turbocharger. It sounds better than Tsunami! The horns aren't QSI quality, but they're a hair better than the Tsunami.

Rally? I listened to the sample on the loksound web site wasn't impressed. Is the web site sample old?

- Ken

My blog: http://rices-rails.blogspot.com/

gdamen

Posted - 2012 April 28 :  3:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit gdamen's Homepage
Hi,

Even the Loksound 3.5 (currently no longer available) has these options when loaded with the latest firmware. Having a locprogrammer makes live a lot easier when updating and modifying the sound settings.

Gino Damen

Modeling the Southern - Fremo Dutch Division

Topic Next Topic: Adding Cab06 to NCE Powercab?  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000