Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Looking for 20-30 gauge wire stripper
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Looking for 20-30 gauge wire stripper
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: What type of loco is this. Topic Next Topic: Older P2K GP 7 install older NCE P2k sr decoder  

steve turner

Posted - 2012 April 08 :  01:53:58 AM  Show Profile
Wondering if guys have a preference or know of a reasonbly priced unit that will do the job.Tired of using finger nails and the wrong stripper for DCC wires for sure. Feeders are 20 gaige so that might be helpfull too instead of using the big set of strippers!Thanks steve

steve turner

Posted - 2012 April 08 :  02:04:47 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to ask if anyone has the ones from Hong Kong free shipping per E Buy?. Thanks steve

nberpa

Posted - 2012 April 08 :  05:37:35 AM  Show Profile
Here's what I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037XR14A/ref=oh_o00_s00_i01_details

I haven't had a chance to use them yet, so I don't know how they perform.

Hope this helps.

nberpa

Modelling the modern day Central Pennsylvania "shortline" Nittany and Bald Eagle Railroad
from Milesburg, PA to Lock Haven, PA.

NBER Fall foliage excursion waits in Lock Haven Yard for a Norfolk Southern coal train to come into the yard from the West before headed back East to Bellefonte.

bogp40

Posted - 2012 April 08 :  08:31:05 AM  Show Profile
The Ideal wire stripper is an excellent choice. A very good tool, have used both (gauge versions) for years (automotive, machinery and residential). Can't beat the price for a dependable tool. It can also be found at Home Depot as well.

Modeling B&O-Chessie

Bob K.

Christian

Posted - 2012 April 08 :  08:51:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bogp40

It can also be found at Home Depot as well.

Look in both tools and electrical. Down to #24 should be easy to find in several price ranges.

I've not had much luck on small wire with the strippers that have a single notch and a cam. Even strippers with multiple notches can have some issues if the wire insulation is squishy.

Christian
Ashburn, VA

route rock

Posted - 2012 April 08 :  09:59:49 AM  Show Profile
I bought mine from Newark electronic more then 20+ years ago, and i'm still using the same pair at work and on my layout.

www.newark.com/
Newark Part Number: 84F505
Manufacturer Part
Product Information

WIRE STRIPPER, 10-22AWG, 0.875IN
Stripping Capacity AWG: 10AWG
Strip Length: 22mm
For Use With: Lighter PVC, THHN & similar insulations
Conductor Size AWG: 22-10 RoHS Compliant: NA

Bradford Greene "At the Rock Island, we are helping to feed the world, one car at a time"
(modeling the Rock Island in central Iowa & southern MN. in 1977).
http://rits.org

Flattop

Posted - 2012 April 08 :  11:02:39 AM  Show Profile
Home Depot or Lowes has them at a good price. Use them when I worked at ITT soldering circuit boards and when I was working as an Electrican.

Kevin

"Slack on the Pin"
"Move them Weast"

Home to the Lake Division

Hugh

Posted - 2012 April 08 :  12:17:48 PM  Show Profile
Mine is a Klein brand from Home Depot.

Chessie System on the Pere Marquette

Selector

Posted - 2012 April 08 :  1:05:29 PM  Show Profile
Klein double action with multiple channels. There is a bit of a learning curve, but they work well. Currently using them for a new layout build.

Steve, try Home Depot in Courtenay. I got mine there two months ago.

Crandell

Edited by - Selector on 2012 April 08 9:59:49 PM

peteski

Posted - 2012 April 08 :  7:04:03 PM  Show Profile
I recommend any of the strippers with multiplie channels.

I also often take the tip of my soldering iron and use it instead of a stripper. I roll the wire in my fingers with the iron's tip placed where the insulation is to be stripped. Then I just pull the insulation off the end. This assures that there are no nicks in the wire strands (since there is no metal stripping blade being used.

Peteski

Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Posted - 2012 April 10 :  10:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bob Rupp-Kilgore's Homepage
From my experience, I'd suggest you avoid this kind of stripper:

I got suckered into buying one of these; one of the worst tool purchase I've ever made. It either wouldn't strip the wire at all or it would slice right through it. Thankfully I didn't pay a lot for this thing- it made a quick trip from the workbench to the trash.

www.oldmuleysroundhouse.com

Tom M.

Posted - 2012 April 11 :  10:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom M.'s Homepage
Bob,

I actually use one similar to this with excellent results. However, the one I have has a tension adjustment knob which allows me to vary the amount of pressure the jaws exert on the wire/insulation. At the lowest setting, it removes the insulation from 30 gauge stranded wire without damage.

Tom

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Rupp-Kilgore

From my experience, I'd suggest you avoid this kind of stripper:

I got suckered into buying one of these; one of the worst tool purchase I've ever made. It either wouldn't strip the wire at all or it would slice right through it. Thankfully I didn't pay a lot for this thing- it made a quick trip from the workbench to the trash.

Bearcreekwest

Posted - 2012 April 11 :  12:51:32 PM  Show Profile
My preference . . . reasonably priced? Depends on one's preferences and usage.

List is usually around $150
These are used extensively at my workplace because they do not nick wire strands, something that is not acceptable in our line of work.

It can be used for slightly larger wire sizes than 24 but takes a bit of finesse.

Don

PRRT&HS 7555
OERM 2133
SASME

Previous Topic: What type of loco is this. Topic Next Topic: Older P2K GP 7 install older NCE P2k sr decoder  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000