Atlas Model Railroad Co. - New Run Atlas UFIX Coalveyor Rotary Coal Gons
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 24 ]  [ Total: 24 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 New Run Atlas UFIX Coalveyor Rotary Coal Gons
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Is this forum to close? Topic Next Topic: El Capitan - Diner Arrives  

tracktime

Posted - 2012 April 03 :  8:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit tracktime's Homepage

I just picked up my six-pack of the Atlas UFIX Coalveyor Rotary Bathtub Coal Gondolas in the Orange-ended UFIX (Utility Fuels) paint scheme. The cars look great, but I have one question.

The cars in this run (numbered 1004-61 through 1004-66) are painted in a dark gray/grimy black with orange ends. For those of you that already have UFIX Coalveyor cars from Atlas from an earlier run, I am wondering if they were also finished in this dark gray/grimy black color. I was expecting the usual "jet black".

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry

ATSFAN

Posted - 2012 April 03 :  10:06:08 PM  Show Profile
All cars I have seen before are black, not grimy black, black.

Denver Road Doug

Posted - 2012 April 03 :  11:29:39 PM  Show Profile
Interesting...sound like they weathered/faded them? I am intrigued...

Edited by - Denver Road Doug on 2012 April 03 11:30:22 PM

drolsen

Posted - 2012 April 04 :  12:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit drolsen's Homepage
Harry - I wonder if this is a sort of by-product of them also offering the secondhand UFIX cars patched for NDYX and a couple other owners. Atlas painted those cars in a "weathered" black color with black patches, so maybe the UFIX cars received the same base color instead of normal black.

Dave

Railfanning and Modeling the CSX Old Main Line in the 1990s
http://drolsen.rrpicturearchives.net/

tracktime

Posted - 2012 April 04 :  02:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit tracktime's Homepage
Thanks to all for your responses. It sounds like Atlas' factory used the same "faded" weathered black on the UFIX cars as they did on the other schemes in this run. The photo of the deco sample for the UFIX cars on Atlas' website show a car in a normal, non-faded black.

For the UFIX cars, I was hoping for a non-faded black, not the faded black that I received. Then again, they'll weather out this way eventually. Maybe Atlas' factory will get it right again for the next run a few years from now, but by then, prices will no doubt be higher. =(

Cheers,
Harry

drolsen

Posted - 2012 April 04 :  03:12:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit drolsen's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by tracktime

Thanks to all for your responses. It sounds like Atlas' factory used the same "faded" weathered black on the UFIX cars as they did on the other schemes in this run. The photo of the deco sample for the UFIX cars on Atlas' website show a car in a normal, non-faded black.

Harry - I noticed that too, but I think they unfortunately used a photo of a UFIX car from a previous run.

Back when they originally ran these cars, I think they did two runs of 12 numbers each, maybe more, and there were lots of these cars selling for $8-10 at the Timonium show on the East Coast. The Coalveyor is a great model, so it was hard to pass them up at those prices. I was able to pick up quite a few, but for my late '90s era, I wanted to have a good balance of Athearn Berwick Bathtubs and Coalveyors, so I stopped by them after I acquired about a dozen. I can probably put together about a 60-car train of Berwick and ACF gons with three BN/BNSF SD70MACs leading. The orange ends on the Athearn and Atlas cars are a slightly different color, but close enough that they should almost indistinguishable when I finally get around to weathering them. This train is just for fun as a reminder of my railfanning experiences on the Joint Line, so it's not at the top of my modeling priority list.

Dave

tracktime

Posted - 2012 April 05 :  03:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit tracktime's Homepage
Thanks Dave. Sounds like me! I'm building a UFIX Unit Coal train based on the ones I saw on the joint line many moons ago. It will have Oakway SD60s and BN U30Cs for power. Not my usual modeling, but like you, a bit of a diversion from my usual "focus". Thanks also for all the detail photos that you posted of these cars elsewhere on the internet. Definitely worthy of study!

Cheers,
Harry

drolsen

Posted - 2012 April 05 :  3:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit drolsen's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by tracktime

Thanks also for all the detail photos that you posted of these cars elsewhere on the internet. Definitely worthy of study!

No problem - I'm glad I caught them when I did, as I think they were all sold off within a couple years of those photos. That was one of my last great railfanning days in Colorado before I moved to Texas.

Dave

Denver Road Doug

Posted - 2012 April 27 :  01:49:08 AM  Show Profile
I finally got some in N. Assuming that the difference is the same in HO.

Personally I like this move. There was good variation to the cars by the late 90's so this will be a good starting point for two different shades. Obviously the jet black will need a fade job but it will be a different fade job!

SantaFeSammy

Posted - 2012 April 27 :  4:08:09 PM  Show Profile
The “faded” cars look way better to me too but since Harry is modeling the late 1980’s version of this train behind Oakways and U30C’s, the non faded / newer cars would probably look a little better.

Here’s what the same cars looked like a few years ago. They look spot on to the faded cars to me.

Sammy Carlile
Santa Fe All the Way!

See my PBase page for more pics!
http://www.pbase.com/sammy1974

Denver Road Doug

Posted - 2012 April 27 :  6:00:29 PM  Show Profile
Awesome pic! Yes, I wish mine all looked like the new release...I hope they do 12 of the faded cars next time. I model circa-2000 and they pretty much looked just like your photo then too.

Honestly, even in the early/mid 90's they had faded quite a bit. Late 80's I'd probably lean to stock but it doesn't take long in the Texas sun to "bleed out" color-wise. But I "get it" wanting it to be consistent up to that point....throwing in these would be too much contrast. I think they've done 84 number in n-scale not counting the newest run of 6, so I'm not sure anyone can get too upset with the fade job. Not sure how many HO has but it seems they've been neck-and-neck on the releases. Any you guys got the Berwicks from Athearn, too!

Previous Topic: Is this forum to close? Topic Next Topic: El Capitan - Diner Arrives  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000