Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Ring Engineering HO Power Pickup Truck
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Ring Engineering HO Power Pickup Truck
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Athearn Genesis Caboose Topic Next Topic: Quick Sound speaker question  

FP45Tony

Posted - 2012 April 02 :  9:52:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Guys,

I saw this product at a train show last year and am now considering purchasing a few units. Supposedly, the rolling qualities are excellent as is electrical conductivity and the wheels have independent suspension.........but I've learned to guard my enthusiasm for a product until I see it in actual use.

http://www.ringengineering.com/PowerPickUpTruck.htm

Has anyone tried these trucks? Would appreciate some feedback if so. Seems like it would make things easy for power pickup for caboose lighting.

If this turns out to be a good product, I would hope that this company considers producing a passenger car truck with the electrical pick up.

Opinions?

--------------------------

Yes, Waiter. I'll take my Pullman Standards and Budds in clean, southeastern Stainless Steel flavors, please!

What? Silver? No..... leave that stuff off!

Southwest Chief

Posted - 2012 April 02 :  11:12:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tony,

I just ordered four of them for some early ATSF mechanical reefers I'm working on. I'll let you know how they work if no one else responds to this post before the power trucks arrive and I install them.

I installed a Digitrax sound bug in the reefers using some custom vintage diesel generator sounds I had. But for track power I'm currently using traditional axle wipers. While they work, I'm not super happy with the wipers. So I figured I'd try out the power truck.

My plan is to install the trucks and cover the exposed journals with some Timken caps to better simulate the early ATSF mechanical reefer trucks.

Again, if no one responds, I'll post some info on them for you.

____
Matt
Click Here for photos of our train layouts

Edited by - Southwest Chief on 2012 April 02 11:16:30 PM

NSGevo7500

Posted - 2012 April 02 :  11:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Tony;

I have several myself, and they work very well. The circuit board is underslung below the truck via a pair of axle sleeves. In order to change out the trucks you have to remove one axle from the truck, so you can access the truck screw, and then re-install said axle once the truck has been screwed in place. I like to use semi-scale wheels on the rear truck of my trains. So I carefully cut the wires and extended them, so that the R.E. truck is the lead truck of the car and the actual EOT is at the opposite end of the car, hanging over scale wheels.

NSGevo7500

diburning

Posted - 2012 April 02 :  11:39:08 PM  Show Profile
I had a friend show me some diagrams of the Ring Engineering EOT. The powered truck appears to have the same setup.

The wipers are actually 4 bearings on the axles. There are 4 very thin wires hooked up to the 4 bearings. The board, wires, and bearings are all hooked together.

They only do modern roller bearing freight trucks so if you need to transplant the power pickup setup or the EOT setup to a different style of truck such as a caboose truck or friction bearing truck, you can gently remove both axles from the plastic truck, and transplant them into the truck of your choice. The points on the axles are metal so they'll roll freely.

Be sure to check the bearings frequently. A member of the club I belong to that had an EOT that didn't roll freely and needed lubrication. I'd say that you'll want to check and maintain them about as often as you would as if it was a locomotive gearbox.

Matt, something like this?

Photos are from Zycon Models

Edited by - diburning on 2012 April 03 01:38:57 AM

tdspeedracer

Posted - 2012 April 03 :  12:33:08 AM  Show Profile
I keep pouring lube in the eot that I have from them. It still drags like a brick, but it hasn't caused any problems.

Southwest Chief

Posted - 2012 April 03 :  01:01:17 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by diburning

Matt, something like this?

Sort of, but a I used much smaller components. Small high bass speaker and the tiny sound bug. And track power Looks cool though, especially the diesel generator.

Is that for a 57' car? I'm using 50' Athearns.

____
Matt

Edited by - Southwest Chief on 2012 April 03 01:41:52 AM

diburning

Posted - 2012 April 03 :  01:37:24 AM  Show Profile
That is an Athearn RTR/Blue Box (there's no difference besides the wheels and packaging) reefer.

FP45Tony

Posted - 2012 April 03 :  8:18:18 PM  Show Profile

Guys, I appreciate your feedback!

Sounds like it's worth giving it a go. I was wondering if this type of truck rolls with less friction than trucks that use copper or nickel silver plate wipers. The wires on these look quite thin, 22 or 24 gauge, but I'm assuming that the soldered connection is solid. I have 4 HO cabooses (one bay window, one wide cupola, two standard cupolas) that I'd like to install LED interior lighting in. (gold-white for incandescent, if I'm not mistaken).

Thank you

Yes, Waiter. I'll take my Pullman Standards and Budds in clean, southeastern Stainless Steel flavors, please!

Edited by - FP45Tony on 2012 April 04 05:46:03 AM

Bernd

Posted - 2012 April 04 :  08:58:07 AM  Show Profile
This sounds interesting. What's on the board that makes this better than 4 wipers on the axel?

Bernd

FP45Tony

Posted - 2012 April 09 :  6:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to ask............

Those of you that have installed LED lights in your cabooses: Anyone using the "N-Gineering" LEDs? I saw prototype cabooses at night back in the 70s and 80s and remember that in viewing them from the outside, the interior lighting appeared incandescent and rather dim or subdued.

So for lighting, I defintely don't want a "Crew Getting Fried By Lightning" effect and was wondering about the smaller LEDs.

diburning

Posted - 2012 April 10 :  3:48:23 PM  Show Profile
You can dim the LEDs by using resistors, and can change the color by painting over the light emitting part with Tamiya clear yellow or orange paints.

Southwest Chief

Posted - 2012 April 11 :  01:30:02 AM  Show Profile
This past weekend I installed these on the mechanical reefers (discussed above) and they are a big improvement over the homemade axle wipers I used to use.

The power pickup is really good. I didn't notice any power loss anywhere on the layout.

The trucks were super easy to install on my Athearn reefers. Easy to wire as well.

They roll fairly well too. A little friction, but not as much as I had expected. Much better then the previous axle wipers I had.

So looks like they work as advertised.

I just recorded a YouTube video to demonstrate the reefers with sound using Ring Engineering power trucks:

Reefer Sound Video

____
Matt

Edited by - Southwest Chief on 2012 April 15 03:58:55 AM

diburning

Posted - 2012 April 16 :  12:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Nice!

Previous Topic: Athearn Genesis Caboose Topic Next Topic: Quick Sound speaker question  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000