Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Station on a curve
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 27 ]  [ Total: 27 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Station on a curve
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 2012 N Scale Convention... Topic Next Topic: Atlas 4-4-0
Page: of 2

alhoop

Posted - 2012 March 29 :  4:36:45 PM  Show Profile
I need to build a station on the inside of this 18" radius curve. I know I can curve the platform
by using short boards but I need to build the station building proper in a modified upside
down U shape like so /~\ with a short center section with two wing sections at an angle.

Anyone have plans?
Thanks
Al

Edited by - alhoop on 2012 March 29 4:46:17 PM

PAL

Posted - 2012 March 29 :  5:37:10 PM  Show Profile
that sounds complicated for such a small space. But I recall seeing a trapezoidal-shaped depot in a picture somewhere -- maybe that would work to fit the space you have better?

Regards,
Paul

Dave Schneider

Posted - 2012 March 29 :  5:50:59 PM  Show Profile
You might consider just using a small station like the D-1 or D-3 by Depots by John.
http://www.depotsbyjohn.com/kitspg3.html

Best wishes, Dave

Roger Perkins

Posted - 2012 March 29 :  6:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Roger Perkins's Homepage
The current Amtrak station in Princeton, IL is on a curve; the building does NOT need to be curved or trapezodial. Fit the platforms to the area and use one of many station kits for the building.

daniel_leavitt2000

Posted - 2012 March 29 :  6:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit daniel_leavitt2000's Homepage
Worcester Union had a platform on the outside of a curve for northbound B&M traffic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johngreyturner/1242339765/

Goodbye and good luck.

GOLDENSPIKE

Posted - 2012 March 29 :  7:23:00 PM  Show Profile
Prototype stations on a curve are dangerous! We have one nearby (Davis CA.) and there have been some near missing with highball freight trains passing a standing passanger train with people walking around. It's only a matter of time..

Ron S.
"How many model trains is enough ??...a few more."
(a take on a J.D. Rockafeller quote.)

hegstad1

Posted - 2012 March 29 :  7:42:00 PM  Show Profile
I kit-bashed an Atlas Suburban station to make this NPish depot for a small layout I made with my son. It is on the inside of an 18 inch radius curve.

Andrew Hegstad

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/4463

nkalanaga

Posted - 2012 March 29 :  10:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Very few small or medium sized stations are curved. They're just set back a little further from the track. Building a curved building for any reason costs more, and most railroads would rather spend the extra on something productive.

N. Kalanaga
Be well.

Roger Holmes

Posted - 2012 March 29 :  10:51:27 PM  Show Profile
Kirkwood, Missouri, just west of St. Louis, is a station on a curve.

Best regards,

Roger

ELNScale

Posted - 2012 March 29 :  11:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit ELNScale's Homepage
Cresco on the DL&W east of Scranton and the Poconos (photo by WallyFromColumbia):

And Scott Lupia's wonderful model of it:

Steve
Michigan

www.scrantonstation.com

Dale Jr

Posted - 2012 March 30 :  03:02:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GOLDENSPIKE

Prototype stations on a curve are dangerous! We have one nearby (Davis CA.) and there have been some near missing with highball freight trains passing a standing passanger train with people walking around. It's only a matter of time..

Doesn't UP have a rule against freight trains passing a standing passenger train at a depot? I thought they did.

My world ended September 11, 1996.

randgust

Posted - 2012 March 30 :  08:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
There's more out there than you'd think. Here's a few I've come across...

1) Mystic, CT. Right on the outside of a sharp curve on the Amtrak NE corridor. Check it out on Google Earth. Short platforms on the building but platforms or roofs not curved. Also one of the few grade crossings on the corridor.

2) Tyrone, PA. Same deal, original station on the curve was hit by a train by PRR. Today's Amshack is still on the curve.

3) Pittsburgh, PA. I think it still holds the title as the sharpest curve between Chicago and New York on the original PRR main, and it is right at the depot. Curve inside a trainshed, and while Amtrak boards on the straight part, the train is wrapped in the curve on any through trains like the Capitol. Eastbounds load in the stub-ended tracks pointed east.

Historically, the worst curved platform stations that comes to mind is my hometown of Irvine, PA - a junction where there was a curved wye with two tracks on all sides and the passenger depot was in the middle of the mess, and no subways or pedestrian overpasses. Depot was torn down in the 80's, but the historical topos still show it well.

Overhead roofs on platforms were generally taken down early, but curved or angled overhead roof platforms? Yeah, those are usual. One more thing difficult to build, maintain, and get hit by passing trains. AHA! Finally remembered one.... check out Staunton, VA on the C&O, curved station, overhead platform roof, right up to track edge. Still there.

Class 1's were and are on a real campaign to get any occupied buildings or old depots either moved back or torn down, curves make it even worse, so it also depends on the era you are modeling. Our firm got called to look at a real situation in .... Wilmington? IL... old small depot so close to the UP main (and hosting Amtrak) that the roof edge had already been cut off. That's also on the inside of a curve, and Google Earth shows it as still there although I can't believe it. -- correction, torn down in Feb 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4ZC4wS21Y4

FWIW we couldn't come up with a way to move it either.... it was built on a steep bank so you couldn't just slide it over, it was already structurally settled and compromised too.
http://freepressnewspapers.com/Main.asp?SectionID=18&SubSectionID=18&ArticleID=7495

Santa Fe Albuquerque Third District in N
Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing,
with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)

Edited by - randgust on 2012 March 30 09:42:39 AM

randgust

Posted - 2012 March 30 :  1:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
Here's another idea.... if you 'must' curve the station (or have it at an odd angle.... consider the Sturdevant, WI station. There's a turret in the middle and the two wings (not a 90-degrees) come out at different angles. It was designed to fit a diamond. You could probably spread the concept to fit a curve, but yeah, two wings off of a central turret??

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/journaltimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/2b/92b11f20-c4cd-11de-92c4-001cc4c002e0/92b11f20-c4cd-11de-92c4-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg

That's the before and after relocation photos, we'd looked at it for a site back east because CP was willing to underwrite the move costs.

Santa Fe Albuquerque Third District in N
Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing,
with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)

Edited by - randgust on 2012 March 30 1:08:58 PM

mmagliaro

Posted - 2012 March 30 :  2:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit mmagliaro's Homepage
Add my vote to those who say don't try to curve the building itself, but place a regular-shaped station in there with curved platform areas around it.

On my old layout, I had two tracks passing in front of the station with a very odd-shaped curved space between them where I placed the passenger platform. I just cut a piece of wood siding on a curve to fit the space to be the floor-boarded platform. The rectangular station sits inside the curve.

Maybe it's just me, but I think fences help a lot. They can easily be curved to match, and they define the profile of the station area. I found that it looked a lot less "odd" once I had fences around the platform.

Very narrow areas can be fenced off as trash or storage areas, so they don't look some some odd narrow "zone" where you would never want passengers standing. You can see that at the right side of my platform where it narrows. I just fenced it off on the inside, with a sign on the gate, and put various maintenance and storage items in there (like extra baggage carts).

-- Max

N Scale steam for the masses

alhoop

Posted - 2012 March 30 :  2:55:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by randgust

Here's another idea.... if you 'must' curve the station (or have it at an odd angle.... consider the Sturdevant, WI station. There's a turret in the middle and the two wings (not a 90-degrees) come out at different angles. It was designed to fit a diamond. ....

Thanks for the photo link Randy. I had already started on the turret but that sure helps!

Al

ogre427

Posted - 2012 March 31 :  12:00:07 AM  Show Profile
Here is the old NP station near Yellostone, Not only is it on a curve, but the curve is part of a reverse loop used to turn the train for its return trip.

Mark H.

CB&Q - Gone But Not Forgotten

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: 2012 N Scale Convention... Topic Next Topic: Atlas 4-4-0  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000