Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Atlas Track Sales
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 54 ]  [ Total: 54 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Atlas Track Sales
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Interview with creators of The Model Railway Show Topic Next Topic: ConCor Tropicana Cars Arrived  

dreynolds1960

Posted - 2012 March 27 :  11:39:25 AM  Show Profile
What is up with the rumor of no track sales from Atlas for up to a year? I have heard it is from losing their manufacturer in China. Why does everyone go to China when they are incompetent? All of the Big hobby houses have bought up ALL of the track. Walthers out Horizon out everyone else has very little or none at all. The little guys got squeezed out again!
Would love to hear something. I got my info from 3 different reliable sources.
Dirk P Reynolds

mlehman

Posted - 2012 March 27 :  1:31:07 PM  Show Profile
And what Atlas track have you not been able to get?

My guess is that Atlas had track made in China in the first place because the manufacturer is competent. Seriously doubt competence has anything to do with the rumor.

I am starting to think we need a new smilie to make these sort of posts easier. Instead of
We need a set of trolls picking on some poor little Chinese guy.

Mike
HO/HOn3 Rio Grande -- Through the Rockies!

Edited by - mlehman on 2012 March 27 1:33:19 PM

steve turner

Posted - 2012 March 27 :  1:40:42 PM  Show Profile
If it is true it goes hand in hand with all the other short comings regarding model railroad stuff from China! I guess the price will be jacked up too.........supply and demand!. I model code 100 and purchased by the box over the years so i am good.I was rather sticker price shocked to see how much a length was recently at a hobby shop.........but then may be i shouldnt have been in light of the general pricing of the hobby.Well i hope this gets sorted PDQ if this is the case so guys can get on with their modeling.So do all the codes of track come from one factory?.If its not true i am sure Atlas will chime in and kill the rumour!

Brakie

Posted - 2012 March 27 :  1:52:56 PM  Show Profile
Steve,Here's my intake..I have enough track for my Slate Creek switching layout but,let's say I didn't..

There seems to be tons of brass track on e-bay and can be found at train shows.

Seeing I'm not afraid of using brass track guess which way I'll go?

Larry
Summerset Ry.

Paul Graf

Posted - 2012 March 27 :  1:57:14 PM  Show Profile
In an effort to minimize price increases and improve availability long term, we are in the process of moving production of all of our products from the existing primary supplier to other suppliers. The majority of the rolling stock and locomotive tooling has been moved, and production of these items has been returning to normal levels. Track and accessory tooling is currently in the process of being moved, and there will likely be some disruption of the supply line, but we expect it to be measured in terms of months, not a year.

Paul Graf
Atlas Model Railroad Company

HF1

Posted - 2012 March 27 :  3:48:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Graf

In an effort to minimize price increases and improve availability long term, we are in the process of moving production of all of our products from the existing primary supplier to other suppliers. The majority of the rolling stock and locomotive tooling has been moved, and production of these items has been returning to normal levels. Track and accessory tooling is currently in the process of being moved, and there will likely be some disruption of the supply line, but we expect it to be measured in terms of months, not a year.

Not having ever been a big fan of Atlas turnouts, and preferring to keep as close to a track standard as possible(not mixing brands), I decided that, with the exception of 5 cases of Atlas' Code 83'Wood and Concrete Tie flextrack I purchased several years ago, I would use only PECO code 83 track on my layout construction.
Peco is the turnout of choice for my operations and are very user friendly with DCC, and their 83Line of track has the right look and tie profiles I wanted. This allows better uniformity in look and operation. The Atlas Concrete tie track is the only exception I'm using on visible trackage, while I am using the Atlas wood tie track for staging track and hidden trackage.
My local hobby shop is very low on Atlas as well.
If Micro Engineering would have gotton off their butts and offered more HO turnout options, I would have used their trackage exclusively. But they don't.
The drawback to PECO is the cost- $5.76 a stick or about 144.00 a case of 25.
But, I'm committed and think the cost will be worth the final result.
I wish that Atlas could and would offer a whole new design of turnouts and track components to replace the current offerings. I think that more modelers would buy more Atlas product of their line of turnouts were improved upon.
But that's just my take.

HeritageFleet1

fifer

Posted - 2012 March 27 :  11:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit fifer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Graf

Thank You for your input on this matter Paul.
I may add the roumor that Midwest is having some issues getting cork for roadbed.

Mike

"Las Cruces is not the end of the earth , but you can see it from here"
www.fiferhobby.com
www.fiferhobbyho.com
Albuquerque Carnuel & Tijeras RR

ATSFAN

Posted - 2012 March 27 :  11:23:42 PM  Show Profile
At some point in the past couple of years Atlas track was simply impossible to find for a long time.

During this time I switched to Peco track.

My usual sources don't stock much track nowadays since it costs so much and (they say) nobody buys track aNy more:........

Benny

Posted - 2012 March 27 :  11:56:01 PM  Show Profile
If Atlas adopted the the Fasttrack template, I'd buy those switches...

If I have the machinery, the resources, the background and the time, I can't imagine it being that hard to mechanize the assembly process...all components precut, pretrimmed, prebent, and pretreated; Frogs premade in a frog tool. Place wood components in jig, bars placed down to secure wood parts, glue wheel runs over wood ties where rails go; metal parts inserted, crossbars put in place over rails in strategic places, put down hood, Resistance soldering iron on XYZ plotter chassis routes to each solder point and zaps it.

And you have a turnout that is superior to everything on the market...and you could offer it for as little as $20.00each, MSRP...

The only compnent that may have to be brought in from overseas is the copper plated sheet.

fifer

Posted - 2012 March 28 :  12:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit fifer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Benny

If Atlas adopted the the Fasttrack template, I'd buy those switches...

If I have the machinery, the resources, the background and the time, I can't imagine it being that hard to mechanize the assembly process...all components precut, pretrimmed, prebent, and pretreated; Frogs premade in a frog tool. Place wood components in jig, bars placed down to secure wood parts, glue wheel runs over wood ties where rails go; metal parts inserted, crossbars put in place over rails in strategic places, put down hood, Resistance soldering iron on XYZ plotter chassis routes to each solder point and zaps it.

And you have a turnout that is superior to everything on the market...and you could offer it for as little as $20.00each, MSRP...

The only compnent that may have to be brought in from overseas is the copper plated sheet.

Benny , It sounds like you should go into the track business.
Let me know when you get it going and I would like to buy wholesale from you.
Thanks , Mike

"Las Cruces is not the end of the earth , but you can see it from here"
www.fiferhobby.com
www.fiferhobbyho.com
Albuquerque Carnuel & Tijeras RR

Benny

Posted - 2012 March 28 :  01:30:26 AM  Show Profile
Like I said, that whole capital thing makes it hard...

dreynolds1960

Posted - 2012 March 28 :  05:07:42 AM  Show Profile

I will look forward to hearing a time frame when it becomes available. I am also going to talk to Micro Engineering about taking up the slack and increasing their sales. I am aware of the Peco line and the short comings of Atlas track. I model 83, but sell 100 to beginners. Botchman won't run on 83, at least the early ones.
Comments keep coming!!

Dirk P Reynolds

BOK

Posted - 2012 March 28 :  08:59:21 AM  Show Profile
I find Atlas code 83 to be the best track and switches. Never had a problem with them, very reliable and can always be found in quantity.
They are realistic and are great components for a nice layout.
No need to become alarmed about rumors. As one locomotive engineer told me years ago when starting my railroad career as an IC brakeman:
"Kid don't believe rumors unless you start em".

Barry, a satisfied Atlas customer.

atsfman

Posted - 2012 March 28 :  09:39:00 AM  Show Profile
Like others, I have waffled over the years between Atlas and Peco, and have some of both on the railroad. But several years ago, while working on my MMR for the NMRA, I had to build some handlaid track, build my own switches, etc.

I became a convert to handlaid track and about 1/3 of the three decks of track are now handlaid, especially those in good viewing areas. I still scratch some switches, but have gradually gone back to factory built as my eyes and fingers have gotten old. But I do scratchbuild any switches that are a special need switch. As long as I can buy rail and bags of switch ties, along with spikes I can weather the storm.

Bob

Bob Miller
Modeling the Santa Fe
in Oklahoma 1989
http://atsfmodelrailroads.com

Edited by - atsfman on 2012 March 28 09:39:52 AM

FP45Tony

Posted - 2012 April 07 :  9:38:16 PM  Show Profile
Paul,

Thank you for the update. Based on your info, it looks like we won't be experiencing a situation like we did just few years ago (at least in the southeast) where Walthers Shinohara track was hard to find and was on backorder for a while.

I'm going with Atlas Code 83 flex and sectional pieces for my layout but am sticking with Peco Insulated Frog turnouts. So far, my local Hobby Town has plenty of Atlas Code 100 and 83 in stock.

--------------------------

Yes, Waiter. I'll take my Pullman Standards and Budds in clean, southeastern Stainless Steel flavors, please!

What? Silver? No..... leave that stuff off!

Edited by - FP45Tony on 2012 April 07 9:40:21 PM

Previous Topic: Interview with creators of The Model Railway Show Topic Next Topic: ConCor Tropicana Cars Arrived  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000