Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Should Atlas Do a Product Recall on Thrall Wells?
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 40 ]  [ Total: 40 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Should Atlas Do a Product Recall on Thrall Wells?
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Where to find EMD GP7 and GP9 blueprints? Topic Next Topic: Bowser AS16  

Curt Mc

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  4:11:22 PM  Show Profile
We've seen a few threads so far on the new Atlas Thrall articulated well cars...

We've seen the complaints about the light weight, the coupler pockets that will not accept a drop in Kadee coupler, and most recently the postings noting that the wells will not accept 53' containers of many brands - including even Atlas 53' containers... We've also see the postings by those returning them or now deciding not to buy them.

We've yet to see any rebuttal or comments from Atlas. Why are the cars so light? Why was scale draft gear seleceted? Why will the Atlas 53' containers not fit? I can somewhat understand the circumstances, as we have all I'm sure been in the unfortunate position of trying to explain a poor decision made at a higher level or by a coworker.

So where do you think Atlas should go from here? Recall, rerun with modifications, explanation or silence?

Christian

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  4:16:44 PM  Show Profile
I know it's Friday and you are trolling for the weekend. But, I'm missing something. Kadee's 1950's toy train couplers and out of scale containers from various folks is Atlas fault? Sure, titanium castings would have been nice so I'll join in the light weight bashing.

Christian
Ashburn, VA

el3637

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  4:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Christian

I know it's Friday and you are trolling for the weekend. But, I'm missing something. Kadee's 1950's toy train couplers and out of scale containers from various folks is Atlas fault?

I haven't seen these cars but if they are set up to only take Accumate scale couplers, then yes, they need to be able to work with at least Kadee 58s, which have the same general mounting shank as "1950s toy train couplers".

As to the containers, well - if Atlas's own 53 footers don't fit. Oops.

I remember the infamous rmr Don Brown thread in which he slammed rivet counters. "If it looks like a container and fits in the well, that's good enough" or something like that. Ignoring the original subject of the thread (started by the late Fred Dabney) calling on manufacturers to adopt container standards just so they *would* fit in the wells. To date, there are still no container standards, and I guess it's still a problem. I don't model the well car era anymore, or at the least don't plan on buying any new rolling stock so it's not an issue for me - but the coupler replacement issue is, and continues to be. Use clones, fine, but know that they're going the same place the horn hooks used to go, and don't put obstacles in place to prevent the use of Kadees.

Andy

ATSFAN

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  7:29:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Christian

I know it's Friday and you are trolling for the weekend. But, I'm missing something. Kadee's 1950's toy train couplers and out of scale containers from various folks is Atlas fault? Sure, titanium castings would have been nice so I'll join in the light weight bashing.

Calling Kadee couplers toy train items from the 50's is jumping the shark a tad.

One of the containers that does not fit is made by Atlas itself. Not various.

Atlas Moderator

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  7:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Multiple threads on the same topic are not necessary.

While I'm sure Atlas will be providing some information on the various issues that have come to light, the incessant badgering by one individual who admittedly did not even purchase the car in question is quite revealing.

Oh, and polls are also not permitted on the forum. The title of this thread suggests a poll.

Atlas Moderator

Previous Topic: Where to find EMD GP7 and GP9 blueprints? Topic Next Topic: Bowser AS16  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000