Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Time to Refinance the House???
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 27 ]  [ Total: 27 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Time to Refinance the House???
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Airbrushing Craft type paint? Topic Next Topic: Where to find EMD GP7 and GP9 blueprints?
Page: of 2

ATSFAN

Posted - 2012 March 22 :  1:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Overland is doing Brass Versions of all the new NS Heritage units. $1000+ each, although finding pricing is a bit of a hunt.

I am sure they will be beautiful!

overmodels dot com.

Jim from Valencia CA

Posted - 2012 March 22 :  3:12:03 PM  Show Profile
It's only a matter of time until this stuff is available in plastic. So don't overestend yourself. On the other hand, when they come out in plastic, they may cost as much as brass...

Curt Mc

Posted - 2012 March 22 :  7:44:39 PM  Show Profile
... and unless IM makes some major changes to their models, all the NS Heritage ES44ACs that they do in plastic will be incorrect models.

I've set my modeling cut off date as a few years ago so I won't be getting any HO versions. But I do plan on chasing the real ones.

Edited by - Curt Mc on 2012 March 22 9:29:45 PM

jeffsauer1957

Posted - 2012 March 22 :  9:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Only $19,000.00 plus change. Hey, why refinance? Just sell the thing!

diburning

Posted - 2012 March 22 :  10:31:39 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Curt Mc

... and unless IM makes some major changes to their models, all the NS Heritage ES44ACs that they do in plastic will be incorrect models.

I've set my modeling cut off date as a few years ago so I won't be getting any HO versions. But I do plan on chasing the real ones.

Intermountain probably will. If not, someone else like Athearn might come in and do it.

Why? Many Class Is own or are in the process of acquiring the late production body style GEVOs. NS, CSX, UP, and CN to name to a few. It's not a niche item, it's not something unique to one railroad.

Not making correct late production GEVOs is like not making a snoot nose SD40-2.

Edited by - diburning on 2012 March 22 10:32:01 PM

Curt Mc

Posted - 2012 March 22 :  10:40:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by diburning
Intermountain probably will. If not, someone else like Athearn might come in and do it.

I doubt either... Athearn from what I've heard has scrappedshelved their GEVO plans, and IM would involve a lot of retooling (since I don't believe their current model was designed in advance to allow for the inserts necessary to do the later phase models - thus all new body needed which will not be cheap to do).

I think that they are more likely to end up on the current IM body (which can be done in appropriate numbers for the UP, BN, CN and CP schemes you noted) as sort of pseudo fantasy units... Like the IM GE Demo units are.

Edited by - Curt Mc on 2012 March 23 08:33:38 AM

taylor_up_bnsf

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  12:29:11 AM  Show Profile
Straight from the bulls mouth a couple of months ago, I asked Athearn as I hear the same thing Curt.

Athearn- What you heard is NOT true, Taylor. Not sure who they talked to that claimed we aren't doing them, but it certainly wasn't an Athearn or Horizon rep. The ES44 GEVO project is coming along quite nicely. Bottom line, a GEVO will be coming from Athearn...so stay tuned.

Couting down the days for Gevos.

David Hingtgen

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  01:55:06 AM  Show Profile
If Athearn makes Rock Island and all of NS's heritage (with the right cabs and radiators), they'll sell a zillion. (some of which to me!)

Edited by - David Hingtgen on 2012 March 23 02:05:44 AM

Brakie

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  05:00:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by David Hingtgen

If Athearn makes Rock Island and all of NS's heritage (with the right cabs and radiators), they'll sell a zillion. (some of which to me!)

Even if it comes close they will sell..The majority of the modelers goes for eye appeal not exactness.

But,then..

Don't even think about overlooking Bachmann doing a cheap bare bone generic GEVO or doing their GE Dash 8 40CW in those schemes at the fraction of the street cost of a correctly done model-maybe even with sound.

Larry
Summerset Ry.

nberpa

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  05:41:46 AM  Show Profile
$1000 is a little ridiculous.
I think intermountain fell and hit their head somewhere. When I see an intermountain loco for around $400, I think that it is ridiculous, especially when there is no DCC & Sound, highly detailed model, etc. I think that most of us will be better off to just wait for the Athearn model.
Just my $0.02.

nberpa

Modelling the modern day Central Pennsylvania "shortline" Nittany and Bald Eagle Railroad
from Milesburg, PA to Lock Haven, PA.

NBER Fall foliage excursion waits in Lock Haven Yard for a Norfolk Southern coal train to come into the yard from the West before headed back East to Bellefonte.

ATSFAN

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  07:21:38 AM  Show Profile
Athearn has the old Tower 55 tooling.
As those engines actually came out from Tower it must be completed tooling.

I would be surprised if Athearn has scrapped them long term.

Curt Mc

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  08:32:06 AM  Show Profile
I should have said that the initial plans of Athearn to quickly produce the GEVOs (the thought at the time they acquired the T55 body tooling) were scrapped, and the project shelved... What I had heard last year was IF Athearn was still going to do them it would be several years down the road. I am not sure if the factory issue affecting RTR line production will speed up the GEVO project or (on the other hand) if that tooling has been caught up in that factory closing mess.

I would certainly like to see an Athearn Genesis GEVO - of T55 quality or better - but had been told not to expect any for many years if ever...

Edited by - Curt Mc on 2012 March 23 08:35:17 AM

AustralianTerrier

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  09:49:38 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nberpa

Don't know much about brass do you.......

You should be able to get a brass model with an MSRP of $1000 for about $750 give or take $50.

The OMI models will be fabulous, serial numbered and more than likely there will only be about 10 models total per paint scheme. Now sit back and chew on that number for a minute. Nineteen paint schemes and 10 models per paint scheme means a grand total of 190 models.

The current brass market left the operator behind ten years or more ago. Its geared to ONE type of person.....the collector. About 15 years ago I received an ear full from one brass importer (now out of business) that stated that the models "were only for the most discriminating of collectors!!!!!.....they are not meant to be run". Alrighty then......There are a few people that will actually take the model out of the box and put electricity to the motor....GASP!!!!!!!! But I'd suspect on these "limited" runs the vast majority will be swallowed up by the collectors.

Just wait a couple of years after these OMI's have hit the market......You may not be able to touch one for under 2K.......if not more.....Ouch!!!!!

Jim

"It's a question of methods. Everybody wants results, but nobody wants to do what they have to do to get them done." - Clint Eastwood as Inspector "Dirty" Harry Callahan

NSGevo7500

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  1:22:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AustralianTerrier

quote:
Originally posted by nberpa

Don't know much about brass do you.......

You should be able to get a brass model with an MSRP of $1000 for about $750 give or take $50.

The OMI models will be fabulous, serial numbered and more than likely there will only be about 10 models total per paint scheme. Now sit back and chew on that number for a minute. Nineteen paint schemes and 10 models per paint scheme means a grand total of 190 models.

The current brass market left the operator behind ten years or more ago. Its geared to ONE type of person.....the collector. About 15 years ago I received an ear full from one brass importer (now out of business) that stated that the models "were only for the most discriminating of collectors!!!!!.....they are not meant to be run". Alrighty then......There are a few people that will actually take the model out of the box and put electricity to the motor....GASP!!!!!!!! But I'd suspect on these "limited" runs the vast majority will be swallowed up by the collectors.

Just wait a couple of years after these OMI's have hit the market......You may not be able to touch one for under 2K.......if not more.....Ouch!!!!!

Jim;

You are right on about the pricing of units like this just going to go up. Look at teh UP Heritage units on e-bay. You can't touch one for less that $1,350, for a unit that sold at $900. The SLC Olympic units go for $2,300 - 2,700 for the pair, listed for $1,250 IIRC. The SGK and Boy Scout units had an MSRP of around $1,400 ea and the last of each I saw started at $2,250 ea on e-bay. And don't even think about looking for an Atlanta Olympic set, becasue you can't find them at all.

Regardless of what Athearn, IM or anyone else does, these units individually or in boxed sets will fetch a pretty penny once they are gone.

NSGevo7500

Edited by - NSGevo7500 on 2012 March 23 1:23:43 PM

brembo

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  2:50:45 PM  Show Profile
$1000 is rediculous. Well, if you truly are a collector, or prototype modeler you know what the brass model is. A very, very, low production hand built model. Take a look what they start with and what they end up with when finished, truly remarkable the skill that takes. Low production will always mean high prices when demand is there, and a select amount of people will alway desire OMI brass models. I have that addiction. And no known cure.
John

Curt Mc

Posted - 2012 March 23 :  3:46:22 PM  Show Profile
Yes, when only 15 to 50 of an item are made - and they are individually handcrafted - you can't expect plastic level pricing. Even with all the hype I doubt if the production on any of the OMI NS Heriatge units will be over 30 (if even over 20).

With all the hype over the brass NS C40-9 "tophats" in the mid 1990s, when brass production numbers were far higher, the OMI production was only 40 pieces each in two runs (probably half painted)... And the OMI Southern 100th annversary GP59? That production number (painted by OMI) was 5. Even the recent UP #2010 Boy Scout and special #7400 SBKF pink ribbon units were production of only 15 units.

By the way however, don't expect to see OMI brass at 30% off MSRP unless you are a dealer. That is the dealer discount. A normal consumer buying through a dealer is going to usually get a 20% or less discount with 10% being common.

Edited by - Curt Mc on 2012 March 23 3:53:35 PM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Airbrushing Craft type paint? Topic Next Topic: Where to find EMD GP7 and GP9 blueprints?  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000