Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Help With Walthers Trestle W/Deck Girder Bridge
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 66 ]  [ Total: 66 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Help With Walthers Trestle W/Deck Girder Bridge
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tranformer Load for Flatcars Topic Next Topic: GE 80 tonner  

EMDFAN

Posted - 2012 March 21 :  8:19:25 PM  Show Profile
I have Walthers kit 933-3147 Trestle Bridge with Girder section. The bents and stringers are molded in brown plastic. I know I am going to drag a saw blade over the piles to create wood grain as they are smooth. The stringers have wood grain in them already. My question is: Does any one have any ideas or techniques that are simple (2-3 steps) and easy to make these bents and stringers look more like creasoted wood?

Benny

Posted - 2012 March 22 :  02:08:15 AM  Show Profile
...Start with basswood from NorthEasternScaleLumber, or perhaps Midwest, and treat it with a mixture of 20:1 or 40:1 Denatured Alchohol/Leather dye - you'll need to get three colors, perferable a light brown, a dark brown, and a "USMC black." Mixing a differnt variety of pigment with varying concentrations of each will give you differnet colors.

Use the Walther's kit as a guide for cutting the parts, preparing the trestle bent jigs, and placing he bents with their appropriate bracing, and then once you are finished, box the Walthers kit up and sell it.

Or use a can of spray paint, dark flat brown, and then drybrush some black streaks and then a couple lighter brown streaks.

Edited by - Benny on 2012 March 22 02:33:36 AM

jbvb

Posted - 2012 March 22 :  06:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage
Fresh (as in less than 5 years old) creosoted timber can have a purple sheen where the stuff weeps out to the surface.

James      http://www.faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/

Previous Topic: Tranformer Load for Flatcars Topic Next Topic: GE 80 tonner  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000