Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Value of Aurora Postage Stamp Train set from 1969
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 76 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Value of Aurora Postage Stamp Train set from 1969
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Atlas C55 #7 switch hinged rail came loose. Topic Next Topic: Cutting cleaning strips for Centerline cars  

craigolio1

Posted - 2012 February 24 :  5:17:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. A friend of mine dug a bunch of his old train stuff out of the attic to show me, and to see if we could find out if it's was worth anything. There was some old Lionel stuff, and pile of HO Tyco, but there was one box the interested me and I wondered if he could sell it for anything.

It is a Shell Oil themed Aurora Postage Stamp train set. In the box is the transformer, some odds and ends of track (missing some), a Trix train consisting of Canadian Pacific FP9, a Canadian Pacific caboose, a Missoury Pacific stock car, a shell oil tanker and one other Shell car. The train is complete. It also has the 1969 Auroroa Postage Stamp catalogue, a complete box and packaging in fair - good condition that talks all about how wonderfull the shell oils company is, and the sales receipt from Dec. 27, 1969.

Is something like this worth anything at all. Just curious.

Thanks for your interest.

Craig

Power Stroke

Posted - 2012 February 24 :  5:27:08 PM  Show Profile
If it has no sentimental value to him, have him put it on an auction site. Whatever the final bid is, is what it's worth.

"You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. With it, there is acomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis." - Henry Ford

3railguy

Posted - 2012 February 24 :  10:09:57 PM  Show Profile
Watch a few ebay auctions and see what the sets go for. My guess is 25 to 50 bucks depending on condition.

John Long

Mike G

Posted - 2012 February 25 :  05:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike G's Homepage
Talking to some folks at train shows and watching them on eBay, I found that they don't have any real great value in the model market. The greatest value is in Postage Stamp Train sets that are in mint to excellent condition. They typically go for somewhere in the $100 - $150 price range.

http://photobucket.com/MikeG-Trains http://www.youtube.com/user/MrTraindude

Doug Gosha

Posted - 2012 February 25 :  05:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Gosha's Homepage
Right. It would have to be like new with the plastic wrap still around it to have value.
A set with pieces missing and the package having been opened is worth only a few bucks.

Doug

Atlas First Generation Locomotives and Treble-O-Lectric - Click on Link
http://www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos

3railguy

Posted - 2012 February 25 :  11:51:06 AM  Show Profile
I too have watched these on the bay and $75 to $100 seems average for mint sealed. Cut this in half for used sets in complete excellent or better condition. Cars are one thing but missing track pieces aren't difficult to replace.

We can only guess. Price activity is seasonal, regional, and all over the map.

John Long

Edited by - 3railguy on 2012 February 25 11:52:28 AM

Charlie Vlk

Posted - 2012 February 26 :  09:56:14 AM  Show Profile
Not that I've paid close attention to "collectibles" or special run stuff but this is the first time I've ever heard about any promotional Postage Stamp sets
I don't recall if Aurora had two Shell cars in their regular lineup. I seem to remember a Shell Cylinrical Hopper but can't think of another
We're they Aurora or maybe J C Timmer since the F7s were CP?

Charlie Vlk

craigolio1

Posted - 2012 February 26 :  3:22:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. They are definitely Aurora. But the set is by no means mint or "like new". I'll pass along the info.

Craig

Previous Topic: Atlas C55 #7 switch hinged rail came loose. Topic Next Topic: Cutting cleaning strips for Centerline cars  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000