Atlas Model Railroad Co. - So whatever happened to GH products?
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 32 ]  [ Total: 32 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 So whatever happened to GH products?
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Its a beautiful thing Topic Next Topic: Feedback on a fantasy paint scheme  

randgust

Posted - 2011 December 20 :  1:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
OK, so I know this is REALLY dating me, but I don't care.

Back in the 70's and into the 80's there was a company that supplied a variety of pushbuttons, illuminated pushbuttons, panel indicators, etc. - GH Products, and I think it was Irving, TX. They came in little clear envelopes with a black and white printed instruction sheet.

They were the PICTURE of simple, inexpensive elegant design. It was almost like a pen-barrel design with all push-on components, easily wired and installed. The hollow pushbuttons could be illuminated with a nice clear bulb, and there were four colored lenses so that buttons could be color-coded.

My entire layout is done with them. They've been in operation since the mid 70's. I went right from the Atlas controller boxes to these and never looked back. They are just SO much better than anybody elses design I'm baffled why they are no longer made or are available. All my main line buttons are illuminated and color-coded and when I show the layout people seem amazed by the button system.

They only made one turkey, and it was the illuminated pushbutton with a 'memory' feature so that you didn't need contacts on a switch machine, and that didn't work right at all. But the rest of them, wow, they're still going strong 35 years later.

So what happened to the company and the product line? Anybody know? This was such a great, multi-scale, multi-purpose product it's hard to believe NOBODY wanted it anymore.

I've found a few sets on the auction site, but googling it comes up completely, totally empty. So its time to see if the old heads like myself know anything. Heck, I was even able to find out what happened to the Quality Craft cars (aka Gloor Craft) with a little research, I'm not easily defeated...

Santa Fe Albuquerque Third District in N
Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing,
with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)

Nashoba

Posted - 2011 December 20 :  3:04:00 PM  Show Profile
Ok, consider me dated as well, as I remembered them clearly..
I have quite a few of these:

Mark

randgust

Posted - 2011 December 20 :  3:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
Yeah, those "Superbutton II's" might have been their undoing. They took a failsafe, inexpensive product and made it expensive, difficult to install, and fussy to maintain! The contacts on those things were just as fussy as switch machine contacts and just as likely to fail. I decided that switch machine contacts (on Lamberts, now made by Rix) were more reliable to indicate switch position and I could deal with the extra wiring.

C855B

Posted - 2011 December 20 :  4:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit C855B's Homepage
OMG, I think I have a few of the GH pushbutton kits hidden in a parts stash somewhere. I'll have to keep looking through boxes. But even if they were thrown out, I distinctly remember them and their simple-but-elegant design.

Thanks for the nostalgia!

GOLDENSPIKE

Posted - 2011 December 20 :  5:37:44 PM  Show Profile
I know! The market for DIY electronic parts has fallen way off over the years. If you need anything more than a common value resistor--forget it!

Ron S.
"How many model trains is enough ??...a few more."
(a take on a J.D. Rockafeller quote.)

randgust

Posted - 2011 December 20 :  7:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit randgust's Homepage
Ah, but I can still get the same crappy red-pushbutton Radio Shack pushbuttons I could in 1975. And the subminiature DPDT's.

These were simply the best track switch pushbutton ever, particularly if you went through the effort to put switch position lights off contacts.

I don't consider basic switch pushbuttons 'DIY electronics' any more than I consider buying track nails handlaying track!

Santa Fe Albuquerque Third District in N
Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing,
with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)

Previous Topic: Its a beautiful thing Topic Next Topic: Feedback on a fantasy paint scheme  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000