Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Funicular
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Funicular
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Standards Gauge Topic Next Topic: MR sending out unsolictited DVDs again  

alhoop

Posted - 2011 December 13 :  9:38:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm building an N-Scale funicular about 180 scale feet long on a 45 degree slope.
I plan on using a cut down chassis off a Z-Scale 2 axle car for the carriage.
Has anyone built one or have a good photo of the track and ties? I've seen photos of ties spaced
almost as far apart as the gauge bedded on what looks like ballast.
Will ballast stay in place on a 45 degree slope or will it creep down?
Also seen some that looked like they were built on metal frames or had the ties embedded in concrete.
The Katoomba Scenic Railwaiy NSW Australia looks like a
combination of two or more type of support for the rails were used.
Al

Edited by - alhoop on 2011 December 13 9:55:40 PM

vintagesteam

Posted - 2011 December 13 :  11:26:41 PM  Show Profile
Here is a video of the Funicular on the Island of Capri in Italy

Some good views of the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyhOXcIhOso

I was there about 5 years ago, really neat area, feels like you walked into a postcard.

nkalanaga

Posted - 2011 December 13 :  11:27:04 PM  Show Profile
The Funicular track shouldn't slip downhill, unlike a normal railway, as there's no traction stress on the track. All of the stress is on the cable, which is anchored at the top, so the wheels don't push the rails downhill.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if some, especially on less stable slopes, are anchored with piles or buried concrete blocks periodically along the track.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some had stringers under the ties, similar to a bridge without piers, as many slopes don't have good ground for building a roadbed. On soil erosion would wash the ties away, and on a rocky hill the ties would almost have to be bolted down.

N. Kalanaga
Be well.

trainforfun

Posted - 2011 December 14 :  11:53:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the video I rode that funicular a couple of years ago . I did not remember it was on a curve .

Louis

Previous Topic: Standards Gauge Topic Next Topic: MR sending out unsolictited DVDs again  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000