Atlas Model Railroad Co. - BLI forum is history
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 26 ]  [ Total: 26 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 BLI forum is history
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Turf Valley show ....not this year Topic Next Topic: Stripping Athearn Engines
Page: of 2

John Mock

Posted - 2011 November 04 :  5:26:04 PM  Show Profile
Wow, ok, it's been awhile since I attempted to access the BLI forum, and I see that as of today at least, it is history--and if you try to find any past topics, etc., they have been removed from the 'net (though the Wayback Machine might have them).

So when did they take it down?

John Mock

Posted - 2011 November 04 :  5:34:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh--it's really gone--if one attempts to read a particular topic, the page is "not found" in the archives of the Wayback Machine.

The BLI website says it (the forum) is "now closed".

John

Edited by - John Mock on 2011 November 04 5:36:01 PM

bnsf971

Posted - 2011 November 04 :  5:38:25 PM  Show Profile
John, there were a couple of members that started causing problems, you know the kind, I'm sure. To them, everything was junk, and they started creating bashing threads daily.

Jim from Valencia CA

Posted - 2011 November 04 :  6:12:36 PM  Show Profile
I guess it goes to show that if you do not put out a quality product and you set up your own forum, bad things are going to happen. Not surprising.

santafeguy

Posted - 2011 November 04 :  6:18:29 PM  Show Profile
Seems the SP GS4 model got plenty of negative reviews. I wonder why that model had so many problems?

Jacob

Jim from Valencia CA

Posted - 2011 November 04 :  6:41:47 PM  Show Profile
I don't know that I should really go into detail here, but the SP GS4 that BLI or PCM made does not compare with the MTH version. I have a couple of BLI locos that are good runners, but many that are not. Their quality control seems to be hit or miss. The GS4 which I ordered several years ago, was my last BLI purchase. I know others have had good experience with BLI. I simply have not.

ATSFAN

Posted - 2011 November 04 :  7:50:37 PM  Show Profile
Is BLI producing any new models nowadays?
I have lost track.

Spikre

Posted - 2011 November 04 :  9:24:55 PM  Show Profile

has BLI released the NYC Steel Boxcars yet ?
would like to get a few if they are out.
would also like a Quiet PRR K-7 Stock car.
a few more H-2 N&W hoppers could be used here also.
maabee sumdae ?
Spikre

Erie,America's 1st Trunk Line !!
Piermont N.Y. to Dunkirk N.Y.,1848 !!!
Waiting For Skip's Train To Pull Into Hillside Station !!

David Hingtgen

Posted - 2011 November 05 :  01:32:34 AM  Show Profile
Well, its been 16(?) months since the Obs car, and we have yet to get a 2nd Daylight car--or even a firm release date now. I may have to go with MTH. (still, I do not especially like the MTH GS4--maybe they'll do an upgraded/tweaked version in the future)

(and a re-run of the cars with correct silver window shades, instead of the brightly-colored ones they did--the bright blue and green shades are VERY obvious against the orange striping, it's a heck of a noticeable error IMHO)

Edited by - David Hingtgen on 2011 November 05 01:42:55 AM

John Mock

Posted - 2011 November 05 :  04:28:49 AM  Show Profile
Well, as much as I like the Atlas C-420's and Bowser Executive C-628's and C-630's, there are some little things about the BLI RSD-15 that I like better (even though they didn't do all the Santa Fe modifications to the model). I especially like the flexibility of the BLI handrails; they can also be bent or adjusted to shape if/when something doesn't fit quite right. If you try doing that with the other guys' handrails, you can break them.

I cannot really speak for some of the other BLI models as I do not own them, or didn't own them for very long, but the RSD-15 is a winner and runs and sounds like one. The RSD-15 is indeed quieter than the Executive Series C-628's and C-630's are after break-in (this relates to gear noise).

John

Edited by - John Mock on 2011 November 05 04:31:33 AM

HF1

Posted - 2011 November 05 :  6:45:04 PM  Show Profile
My last purchase of BLI was a NYC Hudson, that was admittedly - a impulse buy.
But there was no mistaking that it was to be my last purchase from BLI - for the foreseeable future.
It is my opinion, based only on obvious practices, that BLI is most likely cash-strapped poor, and can't get enough of 'us' to bankroll their projects based on reservation ordering.
They were in attendance at the annual winter Oklahoma City Train Show last December, and Ken Silvestri, while present,there was very little else to describe about BLI's presence at this major train show -they didn't even have any signage, and only the SP GS-4 and Hudson present.
The Hudson has been a disaster- maybe more so than the GS. BLI has always been good about servicig what they sell but its gotten sadly out of control.
The Centipede on the otherhand is a terrific model and has been a God-send for BLI, in terms of sales success.
I hope that they can turn things around, and maybe they've found a niche - PRR specific models like the 'pedes' and the Q2, are superb examples of what BLI is capable of producing.

HeritageFleet1

RailThunder

Posted - 2011 November 05 :  7:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Forums cost money to maintain and perhaps they're putting those monies to research, development and new production.

I think BLI does have some great potential and especially with E units. Their E8/9 unit shells are very nice and if they would offer some of those in different roadnames - particularly 1960 and 1970s I think they would have another winner. Also, if they offerred them non sound I think that would help too, as the sound units these days are pretty pricey. I bought several extra in the last several years to strip and paint in SCL and Amtrak. Hopefully they will beat me to it!

I too was disapointed to hear about the GS 4 issues and figured that is why the Freedom Train versions are not out yet as issues were being addressed.

Modeling the Seaboard Coast Line (SCL) Tampa Division and Amtrak. We need a U36B and SDP40F....

RailThunder

Posted - 2011 November 05 :  7:30:41 PM  Show Profile
Forums cost money to maintain and perhaps they're putting those monies to research, development and new production.

I think BLI does have some great potential and especially with E units. Their E8/9 unit shells are very nice and if they would offer some of those in different roadnames - particularly 1960 and 1970s I think they would have another winner. Also, if they offerred them non sound I think that would help too, as the sound units these days are pretty pricey. I bought several extra in the last several years to strip and paint in SCL and Amtrak. Hopefully they will beat me to it!

I too was disapointed to hear about the GS 4 issues and figured that is why the Freedom Train versions are not out yet as issues were being addressed.

Modeling the Seaboard Coast Line (SCL) Tampa Division and Amtrak. We need a U36B and SDP40F....

Selector

Posted - 2011 November 05 :  7:35:56 PM  Show Profile
BLI suffered serious damage prior to this latest spate of QA problems. They lost some great tooling to MTH, their HO competition, when the Korean factory was successfully sued by MTH. The net was that BLI's tooling for some very nice models had to be transferred as 'spoils' from BLI's control/patronage to ownership of MTH. Then, about a year and three or four months ago, MTH sued BLI over another infringement, a suit that it still pending to my knowledge. At some point, BLI's supplier(s) either changed hands or materials, or just assumed a different business model...not sure, but the QA problems surfaced at about the time they brought their Mohawk to the market. Other models since then have had some considerable QA problems. So, it looks shaky to me.

It would be too bad, from my perspective, if BLI went under (and I do feel their forum's demise is a precursor to that eventuality). They produced some excellent HO steamers. MR rightly gave their Hudson the Model of the Year award. Following were the very nice PRR K4, the J1, the Niagara, and then the two giants for them...the Big Boy and the N&W's Y6b. They ran well and were strong pullers. I have those, plus a Santa Fe 4-8-4 and a J Class 4-8-4. They look great and run very well.

I hope they can pull a rabbit out of their hat and get their fans to oooohhh and aaaaahhh once again.

Dborn

Posted - 2011 November 05 :  8:23:57 PM  Show Profile
I have a BLI Heavy Mike, An NW2, and an RSD-15, and like them all. I think their big mistake was the Blueline stuff they tried to foist off. What a disaster those things are! Like the saying goes: when you try to be all things to all people, you end up being nothing to anybody! I hope they go back to making quality stuff, because they run great, and look good.

AlanJ3A

Posted - 2011 November 05 :  10:07:33 PM  Show Profile
Sound eqipped BLI steam locomotives got me into HO as a second scale. I must have 16 or more BLIs; 9 Blue line, 5 paragon1, 2 paragon2. I've been pretty happy and my 1 or 2 problems were quickly fixed by the factory.
I sure hope the forum closing was not the beginning of the end.
There were a few negative comments about some of their locos, mostly GS-4s but maybe by only 8 people. Is that a noisy unhappy 8 vs 300 satisified quiet customers?
Frankly I was amazed they didn't censor the negativity. Their closure announcement claims they are unable to moderate the forum adequately.
I suspect the quality issues are caused by them struggling to develop a new set of manufacturers in the wake of the Kader schedule rationalization.
Funny, some manufacturers don't do anything signicantly new for years and that's okay but BLI is trying to bring out different steam locomotives. Can't be cheap making all that steam tooling.

I wish them [and all model RR manufacturers] well and hope for their success.

Regards
Alan J3A

Edited by - AlanJ3A on 2011 November 05 10:10:09 PM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Turf Valley show ....not this year Topic Next Topic: Stripping Athearn Engines  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000