Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Bowser Alco C-636 will be amazing!
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Bowser Alco C-636 will be amazing!
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: How Kadees are made Topic Next Topic: BB kit prices have increased at train shows ...
Page: of 2

John Mock

Posted - 2011 October 09 :  3:21:35 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday morning, during my visit with Rich Cox and Lee English of Bowser (before any other paying customers showed up at the store) I had the rare treat of being able to see the latest photos from the tool and die maker in Northumberland, PA, of some of the molds for the Alco C-636.

Simply put, this engine will be one of the finest diesel models ever done in HO plastic.

Rich is one of the employees who has a "final say" regarding paint colors on Bowser's behalf, and Rich (and possibly others) had noticed there was a variation in the screens and door arrangements at the rear of the C-636's as built.

Not to worry, Bowser is doing both "phases" of C-636 production identified thus far. The model will have not only the see-through radiator screens for the correct phase by roadname, but also will have the piping and at least some of the other details visible behind the screens! Given all the other stuff that gets crammed inside an HO diesel these days, that achievement in itself is practically amazing for a regular production mostly plastic model.

When I asked about paint colors, I was told Dupont had trashed all their paint records, and unless one used the exact same pigments as Dupont had used, one cannot reproduce those color formulas correctly. So lacking evidence such as this, Bowser relies on the best color photographic evidence available, as well as paint chips submitted by the hysterical societies. But in the end, Rich and at least one other employee have to make the best judgment or compromise as to what color is chosen.

A special thanks should go out to the SP&S folks, as Bowser just received some paint chips from them.

Also, Lee showed me some of the actual sample review photo markups they send back to the folks in China. I was very impressed at the level of detail in Bowser's review comments. Things are now light years beyond the days when I once worked there.

I believe myself and others who have the C-636 ordered will be very pleased with the end product.

John

cr4105

Posted - 2011 October 09 :  6:23:33 PM  Show Profile
I think I am going to have C636's coming out of my ears! I see them being ordered in Demo, PC, CR, CR Patched and DEL.

Ed H.

NW2

Posted - 2011 October 09 :  6:29:39 PM  Show Profile
I have my eyes on the black CR paintouts.

Luther Brefo

Posted - 2011 October 09 :  6:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luther Brefo's Homepage
One DL 3642 for me please...

Not sure if I am doing their version of the Soundtraxx decoder or if I'll do a custom install. I had heard they did some function remapping much like Athearn did once before.

Luther Brefo
www.lalrailfan.net

navarch2

Posted - 2011 October 09 :  6:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit navarch2's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by NW2

I have my eyes on the black CR paintouts.

I have all of the PC numbers ordered. VERY happy with the 630's.

Bob

Visit the Providence Northern at:

www.providencenorthern.com

Edited by - navarch2 on 2011 October 09 6:52:16 PM

carrman

Posted - 2011 October 09 :  10:55:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm in for 3, a friend is in for 5.

Dave

Gnarly

Posted - 2011 October 10 :  12:23:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks John,
I'm in for 2 so far. May go back and look again. Alcos make my motor run!

Gnarly
Modeling western railroading in HO

Espeenut

Posted - 2011 October 10 :  01:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Espeenut's Homepage
...got my name on the list for two SP&S and two BN versions of these gorgeous monsters, along with the BC Rail C630 I've got coming, sounds like I'm going to be a very happy camper. These took a long time coming but it appears they were well worth the wait...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

Espee will live forever!

thb401

Posted - 2011 October 10 :  06:17:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info John.
Put me down for two IC and atleast one each of the Demo and MK ALCO C636's.....
So when will the MLW M630 and M636 be announced??????????????
Bill Maclean

TREBOR

Posted - 2011 October 10 :  11:16:48 AM  Show Profile
I've got 12+ on order, the 630's are great too.

Where is the companion 430 Atlas the 4 motor Alco "Queens"

DIAPHONE 32'

MarkJ

Posted - 2011 October 10 :  4:22:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks John!

I meet Lee at train show in Oaks, PA a couple years ago when they were in the process of redoing the C-630. It was a busy show with a lot of people, but he took the time to “thoroughly” explain all the changes coming on the new locomotive. Based on his enthusiasm, I knew the C-630 was going to be winner. I have no doubt the C-636 will be as good as, if not better than, the C-630.

John Mock

Posted - 2011 October 10 :  6:34:57 PM  Show Profile
Luther--

Great images.

I have two IC versions ordered with sound. Not sure if I can afford the third yet.

John

bigblow69

Posted - 2011 October 10 :  9:31:34 PM  Show Profile
Please do "what if" Milwaukee Road units.

The Model Railroading market place is sort of like a salad bar. Consume all you want and then get more.

THE BIG BLOW

AustralianTerrier

Posted - 2011 October 10 :  10:54:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigblow69

I don't understand the above comment.

A previous person asked for a Montreal Locomotive Works or MLW C636. MLW was an ALCO licensee. But I don't see where anyone asked for the Milwaukee Road.

Jim

"It's a question of methods. Everybody wants results, but nobody wants to do what they have to do to get them done." - Clint Eastwood as Inspector "Dirty" Harry Callahan

bigblow69

Posted - 2011 October 10 :  11:14:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AustralianTerrier

quote:
Originally posted by bigblow69

I don't understand the above comment.

A previous person asked for a Montreal Locomotive Works or MLW C636. MLW was an ALCO licensee. But I don't see where anyone asked for the Milwaukee Road.

Milwaukee Road was considering buying some ALCO C636's. Hence a what if paint scheme.

The Model Railroading market place is sort of like a salad bar. Consume all you want and then get more.

THE BIG BLOW

TREBOR

Posted - 2011 October 11 :  09:50:18 AM  Show Profile
Those fantasy units are great when marked down for sale at steeply discounted prices. They make perfect Penn Central "Undecs."

DIAPHONE 32'

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: How Kadees are made Topic Next Topic: BB kit prices have increased at train shows ...  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000