Atlas Model Railroad Co. - KATO GP 35
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 33 ]  [ Total: 33 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 KATO GP 35
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Modeling implied (fake) sidings Topic Next Topic: Back in the Days of the Stock Car?  

corinth-counce

Posted - 2011 September 13 :  7:50:50 PM  Show Profile
I am considering adding a KATO GP35 to my Fleet. I had an Athearn Blue Box GP35 in the 80s AND A KATO Sd40-2 early unit with pickup problems. I have since sold both those locos. I currntly have a pair of ATLAS SD35s that are awesome. How are the KATO GP 35s. Are they DCC Ready?
Thanks
Tom Gregory

AustralianTerrier

Posted - 2011 September 13 :  8:06:47 PM  Show Profile
They are outstanding runners and came in three phases Ia, Ib, Ic. None are DCC ready.

Jim

"It's a question of methods. Everybody wants results, but nobody wants to do what they have to do to get them done." - Clint Eastwood as Inspector "Dirty" Harry Callahan

ChessieFan2

Posted - 2011 September 13 :  8:35:35 PM  Show Profile
I concur with what Jim just posted. Just did up an Undec Kato GP35 in Wisconsin Central. It wasn't DCC ready but any of the wire-harnessed DCC decoders will work. I used a Digitrax DH123D. Motor is already isolated, so just needed to wire up to the brass motor clips. I snipped those close to the motor body and soldered right to them.

As for running, again, I concur with Jim. It runs great with my newer Kato SD45s, Genesis units and Atlas Gold and Silver series engines.

I say go for it! Won't be sorry!

ChessieFan2

cf7

Posted - 2011 September 13 :  8:40:05 PM  Show Profile
I'm pretty sure that the run in 2000 (or 2001) was DCC ready. I have had several apart and I believe that there is an 8 pin plug on the circuit board.

AustralianTerrier

Posted - 2011 September 13 :  8:57:08 PM  Show Profile
The Phase Ic the last GP35's done by Kato may be DCC ready but the Phase Ia and Ib's from the 1980's surely are not DCC ready.

Jim

"It's a question of methods. Everybody wants results, but nobody wants to do what they have to do to get them done." - Clint Eastwood as Inspector "Dirty" Harry Callahan

AustralianTerrier

Posted - 2011 September 13 :  9:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Phase Ic's are DCC ready the Ia's and Ib's are not.

Jim

corinth-counce

Posted - 2011 September 13 :  9:49:12 PM  Show Profile
How hard would it be to add Tsumani sound? is there room for a speaker>

Tom M.

Posted - 2011 September 13 :  10:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom M.'s Homepage
It is fairly easy to install a Tsunami in the Kato GP35. I've done it for 5 of them in my fleet.

I used the AT-1000 style board replacement decoders because they match the Kato motor mounts perfectly. You do need to extend the wires from each truck about 1-1/2" to reach the board's solder pads. You also need to remove the top weight. How you do this will vary slightly depending on which production run loco you have. On the early run locos this weight sets on top of the Kato light board. Later runs had the weight screw mounted to the top of the shell. Pulling power is only decreased slightly without this weight because the frame is all metal.

You will also need to cut the light tube to the front headlight and fashion a holder to hold a bulb or LED in correct alignment. I usually use a short piece of brass tube and mount it with ACC. I mount an oval speaker/enclosure using double sided foam tape. I place it under the rear radiator section with the opening facing down towards the rear truck. When you do this, you will want to leave room to mount a bulb or LED to illuminate the rear light (again, you will need to shorten the light tube).

My description probably makes it sound more complicated than it really is. The first one probably took me a couple hours to complete. The other 4 were done in 1-1/2 hours each.

Good luck,

Tom

quote:
Originally posted by corinth-counce

How hard would it be to add Tsumani sound? is there room for a speaker>

Spikre

Posted - 2011 September 13 :  11:11:59 PM  Show Profile

Jim,
the Kato GP35s are from the 90s.
the Phase-1B was from about 95,can look in the EL boxes here if a closer date is needed.

the Kato GP35 Phase 1C was from about 1999/2000 time frame.
seem to Recall only Western roads in that run.

where is the Phase-2 GP35 Kato ??
Spikre

Erie,America's 1st Trunk Line !!
Piermont N.Y. to Dunkirk N.Y.,1848 !!!
Waiting For Skip's Train To Pull Into Hillside Station !!

Edited by - Spikre on 2011 September 14 10:31:46 AM

atsfman

Posted - 2011 September 14 :  09:04:58 AM  Show Profile
I have 6 of the Santa Fe Kato GP35's and I installed decoders in all of them. Without opening one up can't be completely sure but I am reasonably sure that the decoders used an 8 pin socket.

As I am not crazy about sound, I haven't installed it in any of them.

Bob

Bob Miller
Modeling the Santa Fe
in Oklahoma 1989
http://atsfmodelrailroads.com

riogrande

Posted - 2011 September 14 :  10:42:56 AM  Show Profile
The KATO GP35's are the smoothest running diesels I own, or among the smoothest. I have 2 CB&Q and 2 D&RGW GP35's but I haven't opened them up to see if they have DCC sockets or not.

Rio Grande - The Action Road
Atlas forum member since 1994

Previous Topic: Modeling implied (fake) sidings Topic Next Topic: Back in the Days of the Stock Car?  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000