Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Hay Bales & Water Troughs
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 34 ]  [ Total: 34 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Hay Bales & Water Troughs
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New addition to my boxcar fleet! Topic Next Topic: Thursday Proto Photo, Sep 15/11
Page: of 2

PAL

Posted - 2011 September 07 :  10:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went looking on some of the online sites for hay bales and water troughs. What is out there seems expensive -- 9 or 10 bucks for painted lumps of plastic or unpainted pewter? So, anyone made any, and if so how? Any pix or tips you'd care to share?

Regards,
Paul

nkalanaga

Posted - 2011 September 07 :  11:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a water trough, I'd start with cardstock, or possibly very thin scale lumber, and build one. If I needed a bunch I'd probably use the cardstock, and possibly print or copy a master pattern onto it for cutting.

For hay bales I've been wondering the same thing. Even in 1974 those were common in my railroad's area. The only thing I've been able to come up with was felt, but I haven't tried it. You might be able to find a piece thick enough to just cut them out, or glue several thinner pieces together and start cutting. A good fabric shop may even have "hay colored" felt in stock. If not, thin paint should work as a stain/dye.

N. Kalanaga
Be well.

Fred Moehrle

Posted - 2011 September 08 :  08:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a water trough, the ones I saw growing up where generally 24" wide, 24" deep and 8ft long (for dairy cattle) so if you could find some .15 x .15 plastic C channels, file them thin on the edges, and maybe glue some .01 sheet styrene to the ends, that would work.
It's a little thick, but sheet metal in N scale would be thinner then paper.

For hay bales, I'm trying to think of how big ours were (my sisters had horses).
16 x 24 x 36 IIRC, so for individual bales, that would be a piece of .100 x .150 x styrene cut .225 long, cover it with light green W/S ground foam for hay, burnt grass for straw.
Paint them a close color first so white plastic dosn't show through.
Hay tended to be leafy (hear in SE Michigan) but straw might be better with some straw colored static grass.

Just my thoughts, but glad you brought it up, I've got a combine ready to go out into the field.

Modern loco's!?! We don't need no modern Loco's.
We need Alco's!

Edited by - Fred Moehrle on 2011 September 08 08:35:19 AM

cgiustra

Posted - 2011 September 08 :  09:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that I remember someone creating them out of balsa. They had a strip of balsa the correct dimensions (sides) and cut "bales" off at the correct length. The wood is soft enough so that the sides of the bales (with the cut ends of the grass) could be roughed up easily to simulate the cut ends. The strings were simply lines scribed into the bales. Of course they were painted.

Catt

Posted - 2011 September 08 :  09:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember seeing stacks of baled hay and single bales.They were (are?) cast plaster.I believe they were done by Mr.Plaster.I seem to recall both N and HO scales,but it has been awhile.

Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
CEO,COO &CBP of the
Grande Valley Railway
Enjoy life now - It has an expiration date!

paulp

Posted - 2011 September 08 :  10:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit paulp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made mine from florist foam and scored lines in it. I cut some to bale size and then simply coated it with ground foam.

Paul

cgiustra

Posted - 2011 September 08 :  11:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There you have it. Very convincing Paul. Not just the hay either. I really like the entire scene

pbechard

Posted - 2011 September 08 :  12:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit pbechard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
+1 for Paul's idea of the florist foam Hay Bales.. Cheap, easy and convincing.

For a water trough, what about half of a plastic drinking straw? Then, just add the semi-circle sides to close it in.

Peter

Layout Depot Host
http://www.LayoutDepot.com/
http://www.myHobbyShops.com

Roger Perkins

Posted - 2011 September 08 :  12:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Roger Perkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am delighted with the hay bales and corn shocks on my layout. They are cast metal and from the same source as some rock fence. I found them online at the following:

http://www.musketminiatures.com/

Check this link out.
I think this is the source of what I have.
They offer a Rustic Rails brand.
PS: I also saw watering troughs listed.

Edited by - Roger Perkins on 2011 September 09 07:56:46 AM

cec209

Posted - 2011 September 08 :  2:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice scene Paul, bales included.

Charlie

cec

nkalanaga

Posted - 2011 September 08 :  11:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd choose the balsa over plastic, simply because it would be easier to glue the foam to it.

The Narrow Gauge Gazette, May/June 2008, gave the "standard" hay bale as 14x18 inches, 36 inches long. A New Holland baler web page gave the length as "3-4 feet", as though it could vary. Whether that was the farmer's choice or simply mechanical variations I have no idea.

N. Kalanaga
Be well.

Fred Moehrle

Posted - 2011 September 09 :  08:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lenght:
On our baler it was a mechanical choice.
There was a hand-wheel locked down by 4 5/8 bolt that one could adjust.
Moderen ones, probably a setting on the on-board computor.

14 x 18!?!

I'd have to ask my dad.
Two possibilities there.
1.) Those are #'s from early in the century.
2.) Time has made them seem bigger then they were. (Just as distances seem shorter, and time goes faster!)

Modern loco's!?! We don't need no modern Loco's.
We need Alco's!

nkalanaga

Posted - 2011 September 09 :  2:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being in the Gazette, they could be old numbers, but the NH website should be reasonably current.

N. Kalanaga
Be well.

PAL

Posted - 2011 September 09 :  5:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulp

I made mine from florist foam and scored lines in it. I cut some to bale size and then simply coated it with ground foam.

Paul

Paul: Very nice. And you make it sound pretty easy, too! I think I'll try it your way, and also building the troughs from strip wood I have on hand. That way I haven't spent hardly any money and hopefully get what I need. Thanks.

Regards,
Paul

jbvb

Posted - 2011 September 10 :  12:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For small square bales, bale length doesn't matter a lot unless the baler has a bale kicker like my JD 326. The kicker won't throw them reliably unless the length is set to ~36 inches.

James      http://www.faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/

PAL

Posted - 2011 September 15 :  8:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so here's what I came up with so far:

The hay bales are cut from 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick light green foam sheet. I found this stuff at Hobby Lobby for 99 cents for 12 x 18 sheet. A few minutes with a pencil and ruler and I scribed the lines, then cut out 4x4 groups of bales and stacked them. I also tried dry-brushing some of them with some light tan to simulated drier hay. My calculations suggest I could make more than a full cutting of Ogle County's baled hay with a single sheet of this stuff.

However, I still like the appearance of the bales that PaulP made. I found green felt at HL also, but couldn't find "florists felt", which I assume is a bit thicker and stiffer. Where do you get that?

The water troughs in the pic were fabricated from N-scale 2x12 (OK, it's sold as HO 1x6.) I still need to put "water" in them with Modge Podge or something.

Regards,
Paul

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: New addition to my boxcar fleet! Topic Next Topic: Thursday Proto Photo, Sep 15/11  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000