Atlas Model Railroad Co. - 6x12 Track Plans
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 6x12 Track Plans
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Sound for a C&O 2-8-4 Kanawha Topic Next Topic: Open Houses  

dbwv69

Posted - 2011 September 01 :  11:39:20 AM  Show Profile
After about 15 years without a layout, I'm finally ready to build one again and in the process of designing it. It will be several months before my train room is ready for the main layout so I've decided to construct a smaller modular (walk around) layout in my garage to suffice until then but have yet to decide on a track plan.

The smaller layout will not be a part of the main layout because I don't have a track plan for the main layout and the Atlas track and switches (salvaged from a previous layout) that I plan to use on the smaller modular layout are all code 100 and I'll be using code 83 on the main layout.

With this in mind, I'm looking for 6'x12' (or similar sizes) HO scale track plans of any type, to be used as inspiration for new ideas.

Suggestions anyone? Thanks.

BTW: The following specification are for my main layout and I realize that I could fit only a tiny fraction of it into a 6'x12' space but it should give a general idea of what my interests are. Think, rural Appalachia.

Scale: HO (overall), HOn3 (loogging), HOn3 or N (mines).
Locale: Rural Appalachia (West Virginia).
Era: Transitional (1950's).

Specifications:
1. Minimum radius: 30" mainline and 18" branchline.
2. Maximum grade: 1.5% mainline and 3% branchline.
3. Minimum aisle width: 36", 42" average.
4. Double track mainline with two independent loops.
5. Point to point and continuous loop operation.
6. Reversing wye, possibly loop.
7. Single level with no duckunders, swing gate or lift bridge acceptable.
8. Some switching with potential for interesting operations.

Primary Scenes:
1. Two active coal (drift) mines, with tipples (2-3 tracks).
2. One or more narrow gauge mine track(s) with entrance(s).
3. One lumber mill with active (functional) narrow gauge logging branch.
4. Three or more bridge scenes of various sizes and types.
5. One small passenger terminal, for Doodlebug with cars.

Secondary Scenes:
1. One or more coal truck loading and/or unloading stations.
2. One abandoned coal (drift) mine, with dilapidated tipple (1 track).
3. Small freight terminal and/or warehouse.
4. Railroad track construction scene, with ties and pieces of rail being laid.
5. Company stores, homes, and assorted other structures.
6. One or more tunnels, where appropriate.
7. Roads, streams, and rock outcrops.
8. Active fiddle yard with various facilities.
9. Hidden staging yard.

Notes:
1. Mainlines do not always have to be parallel.
2. Point-to-point means A to B and back to A.
3. Staging is less important than scenery.
4. Trains should appear to pass through a scene only once.
5. View blocks, tunnels, or other methods may be used where needed.

Inspiration:
The 6 part series, in the June to November 1998 issues of Model Railroader, about the Coal Fork extension of the
Allegheny Midland by Tony Koester.

Edited by - dbwv69 on 2011 September 01 11:42:42 PM

cajon

Posted - 2011 September 01 :  12:32:52 PM  Show Profile
You didn't put all these requirements in you posts on other forums. It seems like alot of RRing to put in a 6'X12' layout. Good luck fing a plan to meet all your wants.

Andy Jackson
Bellflower CA

dbwv69

Posted - 2011 September 01 :  12:41:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cajon

You didn't put all these requirements in you posts on other forums. It seems like alot of RRing to put in a 6'X12' layout. Good luck fing a plan to meet all your wants.

I've never posted here before so I thought it would be a good idea to be more specific.

As for how much I plan to fit into the 6'x12' space, that was covered in my original post: "I realize that I could fit only a tiny fraction of it into a 6'x12' space but it should give a general idea of what my interests are"

Edited by - dbwv69 on 2011 September 01 3:40:21 PM

Edwardsutorik

Posted - 2011 September 01 :  3:46:15 PM  Show Profile
If I were going to have a train room in "several months", I'd spend that time planning the layout for that room. And assembling the "parts". And maybe building some of the zillion rolling stock kits that I've got. And maybe some buildings for the new layout.

Just a thought,

Ed

Graham Line

Posted - 2011 September 01 :  5:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Ed makes sense. For a 6x12 "interim" layout, you could build a nice twice-around climbing point-to-point with maybe a hidden mainline oval/staging tracks. With the coal theme, you can still work in a lot of operation without spending all your resources on a temporary project. Look for layout articles by Bill Henderson and John Roberts for guidance. If you have access to old magazines, read Jerry Boudreaux's "Trackplan for a six-by-ten-foot area" in the August 1979 Railroad Model Craftsman.

AustralianTerrier

Posted - 2011 September 01 :  7:00:42 PM  Show Profile
Don't take it personally, but I think by building the "temporary" layout your chasing your tail.

I'd concentrate on finishing the trainroom, working out a track plan, building rolling stock or building structure kits. Take it from someone that got the bright idea of building a "temporary" layout while working on the basement/layout area, track plan for the "permanent" layout and rolling stock for the "permanent" layout.

After living in the house for nearly five years, I finally finished the basement and was ready to start on the layout. I had a rough plan, but knew I needed to do a LOT of work to build the layout. So what did I do.....I built a 5'x9' "temporary" layout so I had some place to play with my choo-choo's. What did I accomplish on both the "permanent" and "temporary" layouts.....I got the 5x9 to a point where I could run trains. I used aligator clips to power the track and flicked the switch machines by hand as I never got them wired. The "permanent" layout I got the east staging yard built and about 30 feet of the mainline.....then I put my home up for sale, pitched the just started "permanent" layout in a dumpster and moved to my new home with the 5x9, which got destroyed by the movers.

Concentrate on the REAL layout. If you want to build something do a David Barrow and build dominos(modules) for your dream layout and auction off the code 100 track on e-Bay. You'll get some money for the code 100 track which can fund the track for the modules.

If you get involved in the "temporary" layout you'll be spending time and money on something that could take years to finish. Plus, once you start on the "temporary" layout the desire to finish it, run on it, etc. will take time away from the dream layout. Soon you'll be thinking of nothing but the temp layout and your layout room will just be an empty room.

Concentrate on the dream layout, plan it and start building sections you can use in the dream layout.

Jim

"It's a question of methods. Everybody wants results, but nobody wants to do what they have to do to get them done." - Clint Eastwood as Inspector "Dirty" Harry Callahan

rick marcroft

Posted - 2011 September 01 :  7:44:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AustralianTerrier

Don't take it personally, but I think by building the "temporary" layout your chasing your tail.

I'd concentrate on finishing the trainroom, working out a track plan, building rolling stock or building structure kits. Take it from someone that got the bright idea of building a "temporary" layout while working on the basement/layout area, track plan for the "permanent" layout and rolling stock for the "permanent" layout.

After living in the house for nearly five years, I finally finished the basement and was ready to start on the layout. I had a rough plan, but knew I needed to do a LOT of work to build the layout. So what did I do.....I built a 5'x9' "temporary" layout so I had some place to play with my choo-choo's. What did I accomplish on both the "permanent" and "temporary" layouts.....I got the 5x9 to a point where I could run trains. I used aligator clips to power the track and flicked the switch machines by hand as I never got them wired. The "permanent" layout I got the east staging yard built and about 30 feet of the mainline.....then I put my home up for sale, pitched the just started "permanent" layout in a dumpster and moved to my new home with the 5x9, which got destroyed by the movers.

Concentrate on the REAL layout. If you want to build something do a David Barrow and build dominos(modules) for your dream layout and auction off the code 100 track on e-Bay. You'll get some money for the code 100 track which can fund the track for the modules.

If you get involved in the "temporary" layout you'll be spending time and money on something that could take years to finish. Plus, once you start on the "temporary" layout the desire to finish it, run on it, etc. will take time away from the dream layout. Soon you'll be thinking of nothing but the temp layout and your layout room will just be an empty room.

Concentrate on the dream layout, plan it and start building sections you can use in the dream layout.

what a well-timed topic for me, and your comments are dead-on target. I've spent the last six months on a "temporary" layout, and I tried to set things up so that the great bulk of it would go into the "dream layout" in the not too distant future. I dont have any current pics as yet, but it's a simple 10x10 shelf layout with fascia and lighting, and my dominoes are the LACK model shelf unit from IKEA. It's still quite rough, but I knew I had to declare this phase "done" and start playing with trains.

I am relieved to report that playing with the trains actually is fun, so I am going to concentrate, as you suggest, on upgrading rolling stock and just having fun with the trains. I've given myself a 6 month work stop order on the layout itself, and if the trains are still fun to drive, I'll go ahead and move it to a permanent location, and spend a few years making it nice. the diffrence between my dream layout comes down to one more dominoe, and the level of detail in the scenery, so I think and hope that I'm not falling into the traps you describe *but we shall see, eh?*

I think all your cautions are correct, AussieTerrier, and I'll use them to guide me over the next few months to assess things. Thanks very much.

Edited by - rick marcroft on 2011 September 01 7:47:34 PM

dbwv69

Posted - 2011 September 01 :  7:46:58 PM  Show Profile
Under most circumstances I would tend to agree that a "temporary" layout would be largely a waste of time. However, I already have everything I would need for it (from a previous layout), most of which is completely unsuitable for my "dream" layout.

Granted, building a smaller layout will consume some of my time but I have plenty of room for it and have given up the notion that it will be "temporary". In fact, I see it as a place for me to just run "whatever" while I plan and eventually build the larger one. It's a place for me to... play.

And please don't worry, I take nothing personally.

dbwv69

Posted - 2011 September 01 :  11:59:36 PM  Show Profile
I only wish I could post the scanned image from MRR that I've been playing with but that pesky little thing called copyright prevents me from doing so. It's of the Allegheny Midland Coal Fork Extension by Tony Koester, featured in the June 1998 issue of MRR.

However, there is a way I can show it without violating copyright, or so I believe anyway.

Here is a link to the image at the The Allegheny Midland Historical Society, who does have permission to display the image according to their website. The version I am playing with has a peninsula (not shown here) that was shown as a caption in the original MRR issue.

http://kc.pennsyrr.com/layouts/koester/images/am_cfe.jpg

BTW: Tony Koester has came closer to capturing the "spirit" of the Appalachian Coal fields in a model railroad than anyone I have ever seen. IMHO

rick marcroft

Posted - 2011 September 02 :  12:48:18 AM  Show Profile
if you slice that plan down the middle, the right half gives you your 6x12, but it doesnt look like your yard lead would be long enough.

maybe the left half of the layout would be a good starting point, and could be built to eventually expand to include the right side as well, with a staging area serving in the meantime

A 2 foot deep shelf at 58 inches off the floor seems a bit uncomfortable, so if I were going for that plan, I would proboably accept a bit narrower turn radius and try to squeeze the shelf down to 18 inches, tops.

that's my rank Dabblerish take on it, anyway:)

dbwv69

Posted - 2011 September 02 :  01:28:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rick marcroft

if you slice that plan down the middle, the right half gives you your 6x12, but it doesnt look like your yard lead would be long enough.

maybe the left half of the layout would be a good starting point, and could be built to eventually expand to include the right side as well, with a staging area serving in the meantime

A 2 foot deep shelf at 58 inches off the floor seems a bit uncomfortable, so if I were going for that plan, I would proboably accept a bit narrower turn radius and try to squeeze the shelf down to 18 inches, tops.

that's my rank Dabblerish take on it, anyway:)

The plan is only a source of inspiration, albeit very good inspiration.

My plan will be a more or less oval configuration that will be a tabletop design placed 40" high.

USGI

Posted - 2011 September 04 :  12:21:41 AM  Show Profile
My layout is 6x12. I basically did an island in the center of a garage sized room.

More of less, its a large loop just like a 4x8 layout. The difference is that I put a backdrop right down the middle. One side has another backdrop in the middle.. That seperates the loop into three sections, where I can build a different scene.

To leave each scene , the mainline goes into a tunnel, or under an overpass...

Previous Topic: Sound for a C&O 2-8-4 Kanawha Topic Next Topic: Open Houses  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000