Atlas Model Railroad Co. - AHM/Bachmann Coil Car
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 50 ]  [ Total: 50 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 AHM/Bachmann Coil Car
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tichy cars... Topic Next Topic: Toy Train Heaven  

amocoman

Posted - 2011 July 16 :  09:00:11 AM  Show Profile
I have to ask this so please don't get mad. Who was the builder of those AHM/Bachmann Coil Cars with that clamshell cover on the vertical outside braced gondola. Were there railroads that actually had this style car? I'm curious. Thanks PK

EMDFAN

Posted - 2011 July 16 :  09:30:15 AM  Show Profile
Go to ho-scaletrains.net and click on AHM and then click on freight cars, scroll down and then click on coil car.

Pictures of the model both in the Life-Like & AHM lines plus some prototype info.

Edited by - EMDFAN on 2011 July 16 09:31:12 AM

amocoman

Posted - 2011 July 16 :  09:39:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks , EMDFAN. PK

BNCR78

Posted - 2011 July 16 :  09:44:57 AM  Show Profile
I can't tell you who made the model of the coil cars with the clamshell tops that were marketed by AHM. There were actually cars like this, though the clamshells didn't last long because they sometimes twisted and jammed, making the car useless. The railroads removed the clamshells and other appliances and made into open gondolas with troughs for coils.

There are two how-to articles on converting the cars, both related to the PLE cars, originally in series PLE 42250-42299. The first article is in Prototype Modeler, Dec 1986, pages 34 to 38 and written by Kevin N. Tomasic. It has some good photos in B&W of the converted cars. The other article was in Model Railroading, Aug 1990, pages 21 to 23 and written by Ed Sanicky. It has a couple color photos of a converted car.

Besides the PLE, I'm not sure which other railroads, if any, bought the clamshell cars. I do have a model of one marked for BLE, but cannot verify that they had any. Perhaps someone else on the board here can provide further information and maybe a link to photos of the original cars.

Scooter

Posted - 2011 July 16 :  10:07:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BNCR78

Besides the PLE, I'm not sure which other railroads, if any, bought the clamshell cars. I do have a model of one marked for BLE, but cannot verify that they had any. Perhaps someone else on the board here can provide further information and maybe a link to photos of the original cars.

The B&LE was the only other original owner of the cars. They were BLE 31000-31009. Here is a link to one of their cars with its newer replacement hoods...

http://rr-fallenflags.org/ble/ble31000a.jpg

HS also picked up some of the cars second hand...

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/hs/hs42292age.jpg

Scooter

BNCR78

Posted - 2011 July 16 :  10:10:09 AM  Show Profile
Found some more information - the clamshell gons were built by Evans in 1966/67. The clamshells don't appear to have lasted very long at all before being removed.

Edited by - BNCR78 on 2011 July 16 10:11:28 AM

amocoman

Posted - 2011 July 16 :  1:15:14 PM  Show Profile
I also have to of the bachmann coil cars, B+LE,+ P+LE. I guess I can always just remove the clamshells and just run them open. And that is good because I always liked the gondola, but hated the look of the clamshell. Either paint them black or boxcar brown. Thanks again PK

el3637

Posted - 2011 July 17 :  01:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
Is this the same car that Lionel did in or around 1977? Back then I had to buy a whole train set for $52 to get one of their new GP30s, which at the time were the best tooled diesel shells out there - bar none. All I wanted was the shell, had to buy the whole set. I kept the clamshell car all these years because it was so unusual. IIRC it's painted a too-light shade of green and lettered P&LE. The clamshell opens and inside is a hollow plastic tube thing that I guess is supposed to represent coils but due to the shape and tan color, it looks more like a Tootsie Roll.

I never noticed if Bachmann or AHM did this car but Bachmann did acquire the tooling for the Lionel GP30, so it's quite likely.

Andy

EMDFAN

Posted - 2011 July 17 :  01:18:56 AM  Show Profile
The car Lionel offered is the same as the one in the Bachmann and AHM lines.

AustralianTerrier

Posted - 2011 July 17 :  3:00:27 PM  Show Profile
P&LE/NYC System and B&LE were the owners. The had a fairly long service life on the P&LE minus hoods.

A past Atlas forum thread on these cars.

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=8641

Jim

"It's a question of methods. Everybody wants results, but nobody wants to do what they have to do to get them done." - Clint Eastwood as Inspector "Dirty" Harry Callahan

d_stark

Posted - 2011 July 26 :  2:13:51 PM  Show Profile
There was also a one-off Evans demo car,EELX 60005, that had the clamshell covers but otherwise looked like (and perhaps was) a more conventional Evans coil car with jacked-up sides:

http://freight.railfan.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=eelx60005&o=uslx

Doug Stark

quote:
Originally posted by Scooter
The B&LE was the only other original owner of the cars. They were BLE 31000-31009. Here is a link to one of their cars with its newer replacement hoods...

http://rr-fallenflags.org/ble/ble31000a.jpg

HS also picked up some of the cars second hand...

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/hs/hs42292age.jpg

Scooter

CSXT4447

Posted - 2011 July 26 :  2:57:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BNCR78

There are two how-to articles on converting the cars, both related to the PLE cars, originally in series PLE 42250-42299. The first article is in Prototype Modeler, Dec 1986, pages 34 to 38 and written by Kevin N. Tomasic. It has some good photos in B&W of the converted cars. The other article was in Model Railroading, Aug 1990, pages 21 to 23 and written by Ed Sanicky. It has a couple color photos of a converted car.

I'm interested in what the floor looked like and what owner(s) had these cars after PLE. Anyone have a copy of these articles?

Mark Menges
CSX Barr & Garrett Subs
csxt4447@hotmail.com

chicirjs

Posted - 2011 July 26 :  3:47:37 PM  Show Profile
Model Railroading magazine articles can be found on the Trainlife website. Click on the "Magazines" link at the top of the page, then search from there for the issue.

Jason

d_stark

Posted - 2011 July 28 :  3:40:48 PM  Show Profile
Mark,

These cars went straight from P&LE to HS reporting marks. Scanning the STB recordations on these cars indicates P&LE leased them from USRE from construction in 1968 to Feb.7, 1989. P&LE renewed with the current lease-holder Itel from Feb. 7 1989 to Jan. 30 1990. Itel then leased them to HS in July 1990, and HS immediately entered them in an assigned service agreement with Chicago Short Line.

As for the floor, somewhere I've seen a shot of the interior of one of these cars and I recall it looking a lot like the Walthers or Red Caboose Evans coil cars - sloped sides faced with wood planks, and a horizontal center section.

Doug Stark

quote:
Originally posted by CSXT4447
I'm interested in what the floor looked like and what owner(s) had these cars after PLE. Anyone have a copy of these articles?

brokenrail

Posted - 2011 July 28 :  8:32:24 PM  Show Profile
CSXT4447, check your email. Should have PDF of Prototype Modeler article.

Brokenrail

CSXT4447

Posted - 2011 July 29 :  10:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Doug, Brokenrail,

Thanks for the notes and the email, exactly what I needed! Looks like I'll do my models as HS.

Mark Menges
CSX Barr & Garrett Subs
csxt4447@hotmail.com

Previous Topic: Tichy cars... Topic Next Topic: Toy Train Heaven  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000