Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Scalecoat II Question
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 32 ]  [ Total: 32 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Scalecoat II Question
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Boxcar Data Question Topic Next Topic: New again
Page: of 2

BEDT26

Posted - 2011 May 20 :  6:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just painted several models with Scale Coat II
Loco black and the paint seem to be a bit tacky, is this normal?
B.E.D.T. / BROOKLYN EASTERN DISTRICT TERMINAL

www.freightrrofnyc.info

Edited by - BEDT26 on 2011 May 20 11:32:11 PM

SPSF

Posted - 2011 May 20 :  7:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually wait 24 hours for it to dry. Was this airbrush or can? What thinner did you use?

Steve Woodward

Posted - 2011 May 20 :  7:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scalecoat can take longer to dry than Floquil or any of the water based paints. As SPSF mentions lots of things can determine the drying time. I'd say just set the models aside for a couple of days and then check on them.

BEDT26

Posted - 2011 May 20 :  7:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPSF

I usually wait 24 hours for it to dry. Was this airbrush or can? What thinner did you use?

I used an airbrush, and I used Scalecoat thinner. Thanks for the help guys.

www.freightrrofnyc.info

FP45Tony

Posted - 2011 May 20 :  7:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BEDT26,

How much did you thin the Scale Coat II paint? The 2/3 to 1 ratio leaves the paint a bit on the thick side so I usually thin it 50/50 or slightly more. For me, the paint dries rather quickly but I still give it time to cure thoroughly.

--------------------------

Yes, Waiter. I'll take my Pullman Standards and Budds in clean, southeastern Stainless Steel flavors, please!

What? Silver? No..... leave that stuff off!

ratled

Posted - 2011 May 20 :  8:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know some guys heat SCII also. You have bake SC I but it helps on the II also. I know of guys putting it in the car or the attic to help it along. On another board a pro painter made a kiln from a couple 100 watt bulbs. The target temps are 125 to 160. You don't want to go too high since it's plastic. I paint in the garage and that gets plenty of heat. Also give it a day or two between coats, esp for applying tape

ratled

HO 1980 proto lanced SP line along the Klamath River. "The State of Jefferson Line"

BEDT26

Posted - 2011 May 20 :  8:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FP45Tony,

I thinned it 50/50.

www.freightrrofnyc.info

Mark R.

Posted - 2011 May 20 :  8:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark R.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's the Scalecoat II thinner that causes the paint to take so long to dry - up to 72 hours depending on the temp and humidity. I've had much better luck thinning Scalecoat II paint with Scalecoat I thinner. It sprays much smoother and dries to the touch in less than half an hour - cured for masking in 24 hours. Not sure exactly the chemical make up of the Scalecoat II thinner, but it has very slow evaporative properties making it dry very slowly. It will take even longer as the humidity levels rise.

Mark.

My Custom Painting Site

jbretz

Posted - 2011 May 20 :  9:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbretz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
YES...at least 50/50...I just eye ball it. The best advise is to give it the time to dry...at least 24 hours. Oven baking it is possible and this used to be a standard method of my (actually I learned it from a close friend of mine). You set you oven on the lowest setting, let it heat up, then turn it off, place model in oven with door cracked open, and keep an eye on it. It dries very fast. However, if you are not careful, you will warp you model (brass not a problem though), and the last time I used this method I melted the nose on a Kato SD40 (cut it off, used a Cannon nose, painted it and attached it to Kato body), and if that wasn't bad enough or a lesson learned I tried it one more time and warped a Cannon cab (cab was still usable, just had to force it to position and glue. So I stick with the idea that I will not be in a hurry for paint to dry, I paint it and forget it for a day...I move on to my many other projects on the bench.
Good luck, SCII, IMHO is by far the best paint on the market.
Jeff

Penn Central, how not to run a railroad, but fun to model

Check out my Blog: http://wwwlittlegreencaboose.blogspot.com/

BEDT26

Posted - 2011 May 20 :  9:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff,

The paint is drying up slowly it's been like 10 hours now and boy it is shinny of course I will dullcoat it after I decal the locomotive. I can't wait to see it finished as it will become a Penn Central E7 for my passenger train.

www.freightrrofnyc.info

Mark R.

Posted - 2011 May 20 :  11:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark R.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ten hours ? - yeah, it's no where near being cured yet. The best way to tell if paint is fully cured is to smell it ! If you can still smell the paint, it's not fully cured.

Mark.

My Custom Painting Site

Trainmanjeff

Posted - 2011 May 21 :  08:07:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey BEDT,
Remember that is has been humid here in balmy Central Florida. It does takea while for Scalecoat II to cure as has been stated, but the results are worth the wait!

Jeff Coleman
Superintendent
Niagara Terminal Railway

doug p

Posted - 2011 May 21 :  08:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used Scalecoat II for years.I've always waited a week before decaling or applying dullcoat. Doug P

BEDT26

Posted - 2011 May 21 :  09:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all of you for the tips and advice.

www.freightrrofnyc.info

ACL1099

Posted - 2011 May 21 :  6:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
72 hours to cure? You guys must live in the desert . Here in the southeast I'll give it a least ten days to dry, that is, to the point where the solvent smell is mostly gone. I'm patient.

BEDT26

Posted - 2011 May 22 :  12:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well here are 3 photos of my E7 painted with Scalecoat II after 48 hours, not finished yet the paint still needs several more hours to completely dry, needs decals, dull cote, windows back in place, and the pilot glued in.

www.freightrrofnyc.info

Edited by - BEDT26 on 2011 May 22 1:38:01 PM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Boxcar Data Question Topic Next Topic: New again  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000