Atlas Model Railroad Co. - The quest for a concrete look on plastic
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 27 ]  [ Total: 28 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The quest for a concrete look on plastic
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Accessory lights too bright Topic Next Topic: Pullman lettering
Page: of 2

Rob de rebel

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  01:27:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

In the past when modeling a concrete building, I just used floquil old concrete, then I started modifying the spraying techique by pulling the airbrush back, (which gave it more dusting grainy look)
As of late I have tried kryon sand texture paint, between the two, (and although its slightly out of scale) I think the sand paint captures the look of uneven, grainy, pebbly look of concrete. and in my opinion might take a weathering dusting with dry chalks better.
Anyone have any opinions on this, or other techiques to get this effect?
(this is one reason I havent' tackled one of my coaling station kits, (Walthers, and some other one I can't recall the name, but it has an acrylic shell representing the bin)

Rob

wcfn100

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  01:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been experimenting with some 'dabbing' techniques with pretty good results so far.

I've just been using regular artist acrylic paints over a primer and a foam wedge makeup applicator. The lesson learned so far has been to not let the paint get dry. It's what causes the larger chunks that you see in the following photo.

Jason

Check out the new forum and website!
www.cgwmodeler.com
www.cgwmodeler.com/forums

Rob de rebel

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  02:44:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jason,

Looking good, it almost passes for the stucco too. Did you use the sand paint from krylon??

R

wcfn100

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  03:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob de rebel

Hi Jason,

Looking good, it almost passes for the stucco too. Did you use the sand paint from krylon??

R

The undercoat is just a white sandable primer that I had around. I was mostly testing the application. I still have a lot of other things I want to try, but this set a pretty good bench mark (for me). Hopefully I can find something not quit as labor intensive and time constrained but look even better.

Jason

Check out the new forum and website!
www.cgwmodeler.com
www.cgwmodeler.com/forums

lirr

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  05:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I've always struggled to get the aged concrete color just right. I've tried various mixtures of aged concrete & white but it never looked right. This is Rustoleum right from a spray can, sprayed on white styrene. It's the fine textured Rustoleum, #7223 SANDSTONE gives it a nice flat finish, very fine texture, like 600-grit paper. Texture holds the weathering chalks perfectly. Unfortunately I didn't take a pre-weathered photo.

I think it's a perfect aged concrete color. Couldn’t be any easier, no need to fire-up nor, more importantly disassemble and clean the 'ole air brush.

Brakie

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  06:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I notice a lot of the concrete gain silos is painted white instead of being left "raw".

Larry
Summerset Ry.

Rob de rebel

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  07:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lirr,

Did you use masking tape to get the rings around the silo?

Good color, and I like the weathering.

Rob

Rossford Yard

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  09:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always used the floquil concrete (usually spray can) and then "dusted" it with grimy black (also from a spray can, but from great distance) to get a gentle speckled look, similar to the photos above. If the black gets too dark, I just "dust" it again with the concrete. From time to time, I have dusted with brown, rust, etc. for special looks.

Jeff

GM of the Indiana Harbor Belt - The "Expanding Belt Line"

lashedup

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  09:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always struggled with the best blend for concrete. Lirr's looks just about right for aged concrete. I'd also like to find something that has a little more grey in it for newer concrete as well. That textured look is key to getting it right.

On the textured paint Lirr, did you try sanding it a bit to see how it reacts?

Charlie Vlk

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  10:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wcfn-
Your makeup foam applicator technique looks perfect for stucco... good tip!
lirr-
I really am surprised that the Rustoleum Sandstone texture paint gives such a fine finish.... to me it looks just like old concrete
such as coal silos from the 1920s and retraining walls from around the turn of the century here in the Chicago region!
Charlie Vlk

lirr

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  11:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
the silo is PVC pipe wrapped with .010 styrene, I scribed horizontal lines on the styrene before i wrapped it around...
lash,
I didn't sand it, it looked good as is, very fine texture right out of the can...

lirr

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  11:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and i did mask each ring for weathering, working my way up...

Rob de rebel

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  11:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah ha! thought so! looks great!

I'm going to have to try it.

I have a few structures that are going to need the "treatment" like a few concrete coal towers, the Union station,
some silos for various structures, etc.

Rob

Rob de rebel
Prototrack,
rdressel@gci.net

Dale Jr

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  1:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wcfn100's techniques look good, but I agree that this looks too much like stucco. The rough finish of stucco in N scale is way too small for me to worry about. Plus, concrete tends to be rather smooth after finishing.

Floquil Concrete, straight out of the bottle, looks too dark for me. It looks like wet concrete. What I've used is 1/3 Floquil concrete, 1/3 Reefer gray, and 1/3 Reefer white. I'm I'm pretty much pleased with the results. More aged concrete might be duplicated with more white, but that's a personal preference based on the "age" of the model and the lighting the model will be viewed under. Just make sure to make a batch of paint big enough for the entire model.

I'm an old school Floquil guy. I use the lacquer based paints, but I also have the advantage of painting outdoors, and storage outside of the apartment/house for a couple of days to let the stink evaporate.

My world ended September 11, 1996.

Edited by - Dale Jr on 2011 March 18 1:31:02 PM

Dave Schneider

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  1:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have come around to the position that texture matters, even in N scale. It matters in the way that light catches edge and produces subtle shadows. I think that Jason's results look very believable for concrete...it is all a matter of context. If you put his finish on the side of a building, your brain thinks stucco. If you put it on a bridge abutment, a pier, a wall with form lines or expansion joint, and the brain thinks concrete. Put it on a roof and paint it black and the brain thinks tarpaper. The point is that both texture and context matter. Color matters as well, and for this there are regional differences based on locally available aggregate and environment. Concrete that ages in a warm humid environment will look different than that which ages in a hot, dry one.

Best wishes, Dave

k9wrangler

Posted - 2011 March 18 :  1:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had good luck using Krylon or Rustoleum CAMO paint in the TAN color for seement....

Karl Scribner
H.M.F.W.B.I.C.

Sunfield Twp. Michigan

Just a grumpy old man playing with my toy trains!
Friend of SPIKRE

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Accessory lights too bright Topic Next Topic: Pullman lettering  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000