Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Squealing Proto geep & RS11
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 47 ]  [ Total: 47 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Squealing Proto geep & RS11
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Atlas old style rail joiners Topic Next Topic: My Southern conversion of a Kato GP35  

WP282

Posted - 2011 January 25 :  5:43:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi folks;

I've been a lurker here for a long time, but now have a question for the brain trust:

I have a P2K GP7 and a P1K RS11 that both emit high pitched squealing noises running in both forward and reverse. The noises seem to becoming from the worm gear. I have tried several remedies, including re-lubing the trucks and shimming the worm gears with NWSL .005 thrust washers on the RS11. All to no avail. I have many other Proto locomotives that run just fine. Any suggestions?

Mike Coen

el3637

Posted - 2011 January 25 :  6:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
Have you completely cleaned the worm and worm shaft as well as the bearings? I've had this happen to some new old stock P2K locos. The lube dries up and the bearings get kind of a greenish goo on them, and they will howl like crazy. I'd recommend taking the trucks completely apart and scrubbing out all of the "peanut butter" lubricant. Pull the worm bushing off so you can remove both bearings, clean the shaft and ream the bearings with a pipe cleaner soaked in solvent if you can. Once everything is squeaky clean and dry, put it back together with some light fresh lube. That *should* fix it, but... I've had a couple where I just replaced the worms because I couldn't get them to quiet down.

Andy

bobwrght

Posted - 2011 January 25 :  6:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Try a drop of oil in the front and rear of the motor shaft between the flywheel and motor. This is where i found my squealing.

Bob

DWMills

Posted - 2011 January 25 :  7:35:52 PM  Show Profile
I had the same issue with my GP20 as Bob did. A drop of light oil on the motor bearings quieted things down nicely.

Don in 'ORYGUN' City

David Hingtgen

Posted - 2011 January 25 :  9:09:15 PM  Show Profile
In my experiments with P2K GP60s, I found that shimming the worms was a bad idea--they like lots of room. If you try to reduce the gap by more than a single of the thinnest NWSL shim, they tend to bind/squeal even if there is still plenty of play left at the ends.

Edited by - David Hingtgen on 2011 January 25 9:09:49 PM

Mark R.

Posted - 2011 January 25 :  10:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark R.'s Homepage
I took the hard way out ! .... I swapped out the trucks on my Proto 1000 RS11's with Atlas trucks. The things runs as quiet and smooth as the rest of my Atlas fleet. Not sure if the mounts are the same for the GP7 or not.

The proto trucks have a hole in the mounting plate and the king pin is on the chassis. The Atlas trucks are just the opposite. I left the pin mount on the Atlas truck and nipped off the pin on the Proto chassis and drilled a hole exactly where the pin was. Using a mixture of Atlas and Proto drive components, everything snaps into place just like a factory installation.

Mark.

My Custom Painting Site

Gnarly

Posted - 2011 January 25 :  10:35:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DWMills

I had the same issue with my GP20 as Bob did. A drop of light oil on the motor bearings quieted things down nicely.

Don, I haven't seen that signature for a while
boy howdy!

Gnarly
Modeling western railroading in HO

el3637

Posted - 2011 January 26 :  12:49:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mark R.

I took the hard way out ! .... I swapped out the trucks on my Proto 1000 RS11's with Atlas trucks. The things runs as quiet and smooth as the rest of my Atlas fleet. Not sure if the mounts are the same for the GP7 or not.

I took the easy way, I swapped the whole loco for an Atlas RS11

Andy

WP282

Posted - 2011 January 26 :  6:30:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by el3637

quote:
Originally posted by Mark R.

I took the easy way, I swapped the whole loco for an Atlas RS11

Andy

It is tempting. I have an Atlas RS3/11 drive and have been considering a drive swap as I like the Proto RS11 shell better than the Atlas (blasphemy, I know)

I will give them both a thorough going over as well as use the motor bearing lube trick.

Thanks for all the responses.

Mike Coen

rutlandfan

Posted - 2011 January 26 :  7:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit rutlandfan's Homepage
I started with an RS-11 from Atlas and didn't touch the P1K version. The only thing P1K on my layout is a single NYC C-Liner.

Phil

--
Member, Rutland Railway Historical Society - http://www.rutlandrr.org

Visit my RR Blog at http://www.rutlandrailway.com

el3637

Posted - 2011 January 26 :  11:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by WP282
like the Proto RS11 shell better than the Atlas (blasphemy, I know)

The P1K shell will look fine if you don't put it along side an Atlas RS11 or RS36, or any other "tall" Alco. Or if you notice the fact that it has the same overall profile as a GP9, and shouldn't. It's nicely done - the detail is quite good especially for a P1K

Andy

graftonterminalrr

Posted - 2011 January 27 :  10:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit graftonterminalrr's Homepage
Considering that it's based off of the RS10/18 model from Canadian Hobbycraft, the detailing should be pretty good. Damned shame about the hood length and height though.

Would a good compromise be the P1K undec RS11 plus an Atlas RS11 cab and long/short hood casting? I can tell you from experience that the Atlas walkway does not easily fit the P1K frame/drive.

Owner/Operator of the Grafton Terminal Railway, set in the 1978-1984 period

Spikre

Posted - 2011 January 27 :  12:29:02 PM  Show Profile

Blue Glaze Removal:
try soaking the bearings in WD-40 or a similar substance.
then let the bearings dry a week or so on paper towals.
that should remove everything as not sure that WD-40 is model type plastics friendly ?
seems friendly to Auto Based Plastics,but many of those are Nylon/Delrin sort of blends.
could try heating the bearings in an oven at about 200-225 degrees,may melt the Glaze off ??
should be some way to get the exterior Glaze off ??
Spikre

Erie,America's 1st Trunk Line !!
Piermont N.Y. to Dunkirk N.Y.,1848 !!!
Waiting For Skip's Train To Pull Into Hillside Station !!

el3637

Posted - 2011 January 27 :  1:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by graftonterminalrr
Would a good compromise be the P1K undec RS11 plus an Atlas RS11 cab and long/short hood casting? I can tell you from experience that the Atlas walkway does not easily fit the P1K frame/drive.

Well that's going to get you the P1K's walkway and pilot detailing, handrails, better fuel tank detail, and weird drive - IIRC it's the 16:17 compound with a 1x worm so it's in the neighborhood of 12:1. I can't imagine not using the Atlas drive in this case. The main thing there is reworking the pilots and fuel tank and swapping out the sideframes for the new C420 (they are interchangeable).

I actually think the P1K's handrail height is slightly scrunched along with the rest of it, which means they'd look funny with a correct height hood. I think I discovered this when thinking well at least maybe I can use the handrails but... nope. The last thing I thought I might use from the P1K was the fuel tank, but I decided it was easier to just scratchbuild the rectangular tank myself - so I ended up using exactly 0000 percent of the P1K model.

Andy

Previous Topic: Atlas old style rail joiners Topic Next Topic: My Southern conversion of a Kato GP35  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000