Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Bridge ID help
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: vivianod1 ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Bridge ID help
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Kudos for Atlas! Topic Next Topic: iHobby  pics of the Athearn SD70ACes  - more?  

Nashoba

Posted - 2010 October 27 :  8:34:40 PM  Show Profile
So I picked up a brass bridge off a famous auction site.

There are no identifying marks on it at all. It's details are fairly nice, but not great quality.

It is about 88 scale feet, and the walkway is also brass. It was factory painted, judging by what I see.

Any ideas as to the Mfg, and is it prototypical (it looks pretty short -height wise)? The seller had no info to share.

I only into it for ~$21, so I am not too concerned about my investment.

Thanks
Mark

Mark R.

Posted - 2010 October 27 :  8:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark R.'s Homepage
I may be off, but based on the construction and size, it almost looks more like a single lane road bridge ! (?) I've crossed many similar to that driving some dirt backroads.

Mark.

My Custom Painting Site

Selector

Posted - 2010 October 27 :  9:35:21 PM  Show Profile
I wouldn't hazard a guess as to its make, but it looks like a Warren Truss bridge that has all sorts of applications. This one, as a non-engineer, seems a little shallow for heavy tonnage in the 200 ton range, but....(shrug)...

Crandell

Nashoba

Posted - 2010 October 27 :  9:48:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Selector

I wouldn't hazard a guess as to its make, but it looks like a Warren Truss bridge that has all sorts of applications. This one, as a non-engineer, seems a little shallow for heavy tonnage in the 200 ton range, but....(shrug)...

Crandell

Thats my direction of thought, Crandell.

Mark - I had not considered a S/L road bridge at all. Nice thinking!

My intent was to build a scene from it, and it was certainly cheap enough to move forward with.

Thanks!
Mark

Edwardsutorik

Posted - 2010 October 27 :  9:54:42 PM  Show Profile
It looks like a road bridge to me, based on the observation that what passes for longitudinal stringers don't fall underneath the location of the track rails. Also, although it would be revealed more with an end view, it appears that the bridge is wider than a railroad bridge would be--there's really no reason to make the bridge much wider than the width of the rolling stock--it just adds expense.

Still, it's indeed a neat looking little bridge. I wouldn't mind finding a place for it somewhere on my layout.

Oh, yeah, I think it's what's called a "pony" truss because there's no connections between the two top chords of the trusses. Or so my not too large repertoire of bridge knowledge reveals.

Ed

steamer10

Posted - 2010 October 27 :  10:03:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Edwardsutorik

...there's really no reason to make the bridge much wider than the width of the rolling stock--it just adds expense.

It's not only cheaper, but it also adds a "death by train" hazard, which the area didn't have before its construction.

Nashoba

Posted - 2010 October 27 :  10:58:38 PM  Show Profile
Here's a couple other shots:

It's tight with power on the bridge...

Mark

Edited by - Nashoba on 2010 October 27 11:02:22 PM

Spikre

Posted - 2010 October 27 :  11:06:36 PM  Show Profile

dont think that is a Hi-way type bridge,the interior braces wouldnt be there if it was.
can just see plenty of crashes into the braces in rain or icey conditions.
will guess that is a Bridge Master kit from about 1990.
or possibly even one of Bridge Masters show samples ??
Spikre

Erie,America's 1st Trunk Line !!
Piermont N.Y. to Dunkirk N.Y.,1848 !!!
Waiting For Skip's Train To Pull Into Hillside Station !!

chljohns

Posted - 2010 October 27 :  11:17:06 PM  Show Profile
All in all it appears to be a reasonable model of a relatively uncommon railroad prototype. It is a Pony Truss, and they tend to have a squat appearance.

The rivet detail is incorrect in places, but that's probably not obvious to non bridge engineers. The truss and stringer spacing appear reasonable. The trusses should be about 16-18' apart, and the stringers about 6-7' apart. It's a model RR myth that the stringers or girders go under the rails, it's most dependent on tie space, but is almost always wider than the rails on 2 stringer or girder spans.

The floor system is simplified, but it's biggest problem the top surface. The floorbeams should be higher than the stringers, and the top flanges shouldn't be that wide. It appears that it was compromised to facilitate installing flex track. BLMA made this same (poor IMO) choice on their recent bridges.

The walkway is too heavy, but otherwise about right.

All in all it appears to be a nice model. I don't know the manufacturer, but there have been at least two brands of unidentified brass bridges showing up at dealers and on that auction site. They're normally fairly expensive.

It's not Bridgemaster, since they were plasic, most were bigger, and wouldn't have had these particular errors.

Edited by - chljohns on 2010 October 27 11:27:03 PM

Nashoba

Posted - 2010 October 27 :  11:32:21 PM  Show Profile
I appreciate all the input on this bridge.

As I stated earlier, I picked it up for under $21 - so, I have no complaints.

I think she'll make a nice scene when she is all painted and weathered.

Thanks all!

Mark

chljohns

Posted - 2010 October 27 :  11:38:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nashoba

I appreciate all the input on this bridge.

As I stated earlier, I picked it up for under $21 - so, I have no complaints.

I think she'll make a nice scene when she is all painted and weathered.

Thanks all!

Mark

Please post pictures when you're done. I always enjoy a well done bridge model.

Benny

Posted - 2010 October 28 :  12:31:24 AM  Show Profile
You got a good brass bridge is what you got!

21 bucks? Sheesh!

Previous Topic: Kudos for Atlas! Topic Next Topic: iHobby  pics of the Athearn SD70ACes  - more?  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000