Atlas Model Railroad Co. - MT 1015 coupler install on older Atlas loco?
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 37 ]  [ Total: 37 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 MT 1015 coupler install on older Atlas loco?
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: St. Joe Valley Club Fall Show Oct 17th Topic Next Topic: Need Kato E8/9 Locomotive Frames.  

MarkJ

Posted - 2010 October 16 :  8:48:34 PM  Show Profile
What is the best way to add MT couplers to an older Atlas locomotive? I have an Atlas GP-35 from1992 (Kato made version) and I’m trying to install MT 1015 couplers on it.

The problem is that there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to mount the couplers because the sill is so thin. Also the 00-90 screw supplied with the couplers is too long and will prevent the walkway from mounting flush with the sill after it is installed. I tried using the coupler retainer that held the factory supplied coupler, but it doesn’t hold the MT coupler firmly in position.

I would like to use the screw and have it be removable from the bottom so the coupler can be easily serviced or replaced if necessary. I saw on Spookshow’s encyclopedia site that the 2001 production run came with AccuMate couplers. Are these sills very different form the older sills? Are they interchangeable?

What is the best way to mount these couplers without major modifications?

MichaelWinicki

Posted - 2010 October 16 :  9:40:31 PM  Show Profile
I installed 1015's on my two Atlas/Kato GP35's... It wasn't bad at all.

I just pulled the coupler retainers using tweezers. I removed the Rapido's and installed the 1015's. I then snapped the coupler retainer back in place with the tweezers.

Yes, there is some play in the coupler, but I haven't had any issues with the coupler not working or staying coupled.

Bob Horn

Posted - 2010 October 16 :  11:20:14 PM  Show Profile
1015 with provided shims work great. Have used them since 1996. Bob.

CBQ Fan

Posted - 2010 October 17 :  09:44:45 AM  Show Profile
ME as well, very happy!

Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Carolina Northern

Posted - 2010 October 17 :  10:31:08 AM  Show Profile
Microtrains made a pilot add-on for this model. It may be hard to find by now.
All the earlier Kato/Atlas locos had the big opening and truck mounted couplers.

I haven't tried it with the 35, but the current sills work with both the RS-1 and SD-7, so it's a good bet that you can just get the right sill from Atlas and it'll be a drop in.

Good Luck.

Lou D

Posted - 2010 October 17 :  11:32:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Northern

Microtrains made a pilot add-on for this model. It may be hard to find by now.
All the earlier Kato/Atlas locos had the big opening and truck mounted couplers.

I haven't tried it with the 35, but the current sills work with both the RS-1 and SD-7, so it's a good bet that you can just get the right sill from Atlas and it'll be a drop in.

Good Luck.

AS far as I remember,the GP35 always had full pilots,even the Kato's.The original coupler retainer should hold it in,the pin goes through the screw hole..If it has an open pilot,it's a Kato GP38-2 or GP50,that needs a Microtrains pilot..

Edited by - Lou D on 2010 October 17 11:35:18 AM

Carolina Northern

Posted - 2010 October 17 :  12:38:21 PM  Show Profile
I pulled out my GP35 and Gp30.

Lou is abosutely correct.

Sorry for any misinformation.

Since I can't rely on my memory for this loco, I won't comment on coupler height.

davefoxx

Posted - 2010 October 17 :  2:09:54 PM  Show Profile
If I remember correctly, on my Atlas SD50s, I removed the plastic retainer clip and just used the MT 1015 screw, which I carefully threaded into the shell's hole. It tapped its own threads. I cannot recall whether I needed to shim the coupler, but a height gauge will resolve that question.

Hope this helps,
Dave Foxx

mmyers

Posted - 2010 October 17 :  5:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Use the plastic clip that held the OEM coupler. You won't need the little brass spring strip.

Martin Myers

Previous Topic: St. Joe Valley Club Fall Show Oct 17th Topic Next Topic: Need Kato E8/9 Locomotive Frames.  
 Forum Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000