Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Paint mixing guide web site?
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 29 ]  [ Total: 29 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Paint mixing guide web site?
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Hayley, General, Donna, Pepper... Topic Next Topic: Help - Noisy B23-7  

engineshop

Posted - 2004 October 21 :  2:07:59 PM  Show Profile
Years ago I saved a link to a web site that had a chart with different paint scheme and how you can mix them with available railroad colors. Unfortunately I cannot find the link anymore and a search on google did not turn up anything.
Does anybody know that web site? I am especially intersted in BNSF colors (green, orange) with Polly S.

3rdrail

Posted - 2004 October 21 :  2:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit 3rdrail's Homepage
Engineshop, years ago, Model Railroader ran a series of features with color renditions and paint mixing formulas for the majority of railroad Diesel paint schemes. Unfortunately, these are of little use today, as the paint formulas have all been changed and some of the makers, like 410M, are no longer even in business.

I think the website you are referring to used these old formulas, which were of course from long before the BNSF era.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Gregg.Mahlkov/

3rdrail

Posted - 2004 October 21 :  2:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit 3rdrail's Homepage
Engineshop, years ago, Model Railroader ran a series of features with color renditions and paint mixing formulas for the majority of railroad Diesel paint schemes. Unfortunately, these are of little use today, as the paint formulas have all been changed and some of the makers, like 410M, are no longer even in business.

I think the website you are referring to used these old formulas, which were of course from long before the BNSF era.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Gregg.Mahlkov/

Rick953

Posted - 2004 October 21 :  3:39:52 PM  Show Profile
I've used this one in the past:

http://www.tfs.net/~jashaw/rrdata/floqu1.txt

If you read the text, the complete guide is in 4 parts. Just change the number after "floqu" in the link to change pages.

Rick953

Posted - 2004 October 21 :  3:39:52 PM  Show Profile
I've used this one in the past:

http://www.tfs.net/~jashaw/rrdata/floqu1.txt

If you read the text, the complete guide is in 4 parts. Just change the number after "floqu" in the link to change pages.

Denver Road Doug

Posted - 2004 October 21 :  4:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Funny, I was just this morning thinking about something like this. It would be nice if that info was in a database, and then we could have others add their "forumalae" and build a comprehensive database of model railroading (and model airplanes, cars, etc.) paint mixes.

What kinda prompted me to think of this was our buddy SOO and his superdetailed Geep and him attempting to paint the BLMA handrails with a "not-quite-right" CNW yellow. I envisioned not only having "CNW Yellow", but things like...
"Atlas N-Scale GP40 Factory CNW Yellow"
"Kato N-Scale SD40-2 Factory CNW Yellow"
"CNW Yellow Faded 1995"
"CNW Yellow Faded 1985"
"CNW Yellow Locomotive #3056 in 1989"
"Joe's Super Perfect CNW Yellow Mix"
"CNW Dupont Forumula to Model Paint"
etc.

In other words, several different options since everyone has their own opinion about what looks "right". We could have photos which, while not an exact science on the web would at least give some idea. The database would also have a section on stripping paint from various manufacturers...again, the perfect "forumula" for taking the paint off. (or more importantly what NOT to do!) Anyway, just a thought...I'm in the process of finding a new host for my websites and I'm looking into PHP and MySQL capabilities so I'm dangerous!!!

Denver Road Doug

Posted - 2004 October 21 :  4:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Funny, I was just this morning thinking about something like this. It would be nice if that info was in a database, and then we could have others add their "forumalae" and build a comprehensive database of model railroading (and model airplanes, cars, etc.) paint mixes.

What kinda prompted me to think of this was our buddy SOO and his superdetailed Geep and him attempting to paint the BLMA handrails with a "not-quite-right" CNW yellow. I envisioned not only having "CNW Yellow", but things like...
"Atlas N-Scale GP40 Factory CNW Yellow"
"Kato N-Scale SD40-2 Factory CNW Yellow"
"CNW Yellow Faded 1995"
"CNW Yellow Faded 1985"
"CNW Yellow Locomotive #3056 in 1989"
"Joe's Super Perfect CNW Yellow Mix"
"CNW Dupont Forumula to Model Paint"
etc.

In other words, several different options since everyone has their own opinion about what looks "right". We could have photos which, while not an exact science on the web would at least give some idea. The database would also have a section on stripping paint from various manufacturers...again, the perfect "forumula" for taking the paint off. (or more importantly what NOT to do!) Anyway, just a thought...I'm in the process of finding a new host for my websites and I'm looking into PHP and MySQL capabilities so I'm dangerous!!!

ljudice

Posted - 2004 October 21 :  5:29:51 PM  Show Profile
Doug I agree with you, but I think the problem is there is no
room to stock any more paint at stores. Also even just plain old
"Conrail Blue" is slightly different from run to run - look at Atlas
models!!!

There IS a solution though... Model Norfolk Southern!

BTW, I am joking, I actually mix different amounts of white into black for NS
models to get a slightly lighter color and to get some variation.

ljudice

Posted - 2004 October 21 :  5:29:51 PM  Show Profile
Doug I agree with you, but I think the problem is there is no
room to stock any more paint at stores. Also even just plain old
"Conrail Blue" is slightly different from run to run - look at Atlas
models!!!

There IS a solution though... Model Norfolk Southern!

BTW, I am joking, I actually mix different amounts of white into black for NS
models to get a slightly lighter color and to get some variation.

engineshop

Posted - 2004 October 22 :  12:04:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Rick953
That is the web site I was looking for but 3rdrail was right, the list is from 1990 and those not include BNSF Heritage colors. Did anybody successful mix these colors?

engineshop

Posted - 2004 October 22 :  12:04:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Rick953
That is the web site I was looking for but 3rdrail was right, the list is from 1990 and those not include BNSF Heritage colors. Did anybody successful mix these colors?

Bill Pearce

Posted - 2004 October 22 :  1:29:38 PM  Show Profile
The Scalecoat heritage colors look pretty good to me.

Bill Pearce

Bill Pearce

Posted - 2004 October 22 :  1:29:38 PM  Show Profile
The Scalecoat heritage colors look pretty good to me.

Bill Pearce

Previous Topic: Hayley, General, Donna, Pepper... Topic Next Topic: Help - Noisy B23-7  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000