Atlas Model Railroad Co. - An HO shelf "Timesaver" Variation
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 36 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 An HO shelf "Timesaver" Variation
Previous Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: IS SPEED REALLY AN ISSUE??? Topic Next Topic: Thats enough, STOP!!!!
Page: of 2

JeffShultz

Posted - 2004 September 20 :  1:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffShultz's Homepage
Only problem I can see is that I think your run-around in the middle is a bit short... but then I happen to think my two are as well, and they'll generally fit 2-3 cars, depending on length, without too much difficulty.

Jeff Shultz
Willamette & Pacific - Oregon Electric Branch
http://www.shultzinfosystems.com
Now part of the Model Railroad Hobbyist crew - come join us at
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com

Brakie

Posted - 2004 September 20 :  5:06:34 PM  Show Profile
Here is a rough draft of my HO scale industrial switching layout.The switches are Custom Line #4s.I use both flex track and some pieces of snap track where needed. The crossing is 12.5 degrees.Track is C83.The layout is 11'6" x 2'

Download Attachment: south jackson industrial park-1979.gif
15.06 KB

Larry
Summerset Ry.

Edited by - Brakie on 2004 September 20 5:07:39 PM

Steve Woodward

Posted - 2004 September 24 :  06:26:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the plan Brakie, still going nuts trying to come up with my own track plan, so any inspiration is appreciated! Speaking of inspiration, do you have any photos of this layout?

Steve W

dmitzel

Posted - 2004 September 24 :  10:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit dmitzel's Homepage
Right on, Steve. I need to thank Brakie as well for sharing his plan. Everyone can benefit from bouncing ideas and plans off each other - I know I do.

And Brakie, thanks for showing on your plan what the "kick track" is. I see it is a shorter, double-ended siding across the main from the primary run-around track. Just a storage, or "for now" track to place cars being worked in town.

Say, is South Jackson a real 1:1 scale location, or based upon somewhere on the prototype? I looks like it would make a great on-line townsite for any layout.

Thanks again.

D.M. Mitzel
Oxford, MI
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA

Visit my blog at http://danmitzel.blogspot.com/

Reddog

Posted - 2004 September 24 :  10:39:11 AM  Show Profile
I built Atlas' Southside Connecting (HO-26) layout and I can tell you it's a blast to operate. I use "ShipIt!" software www.albionsoftware.com to create switch lists. I lengthened the plan by a foot and used a Walther's turntable instead of the Atlas. I also used Peco #6 switches (and two #4's) with flextrack instead of the sectional track described in the plan. I operated the layout "as is" for a long time, then added a single staging track on the right side before finally incorporating it into a larger layout. You can see construction of it at www.railimages.com/gallery/petebresciani

Pete

g.f.handel

Posted - 2004 September 24 :  7:34:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I built Atlas' Southside Connecting (HO-26) layout and I can tell you it's a blast to operate. I use "ShipIt!" software www.albionsoftware.com to create switch lists. I lengthened the plan by a foot and used a Walther's turntable instead of the Atlas. I also used Peco #6 switches (and two #4's) with flextrack instead of the sectional track described in the plan. I operated the layout "as is" for a long time, then added a single staging track on the right side before finally incorporating it into a larger layout. You can see construction of it at www.railimages.com/gallery/petebresciani

Pete

Pete,

Great job on the Southside Connecting. I believe there are more operational possibilities on some of these shelf type switching layouts than many of the larger layouts. I would like to see some more photos when you have finished. Can you add some buildings or flats against the backdrop? What is the width and length?

Nice work.

g.f.

Brakie

Posted - 2004 September 24 :  9:36:57 PM  Show Profile
Steve,No.I do not have a digi cam.I will be buying one soon.
------------------------------------------------
dmitzel,South Jackson is of course the South Side of Jackson(Oh)on my C&HV.As far as the industries some are real except I moved them to Jackson in my HO world.
1.Pillsbury is located in Wellston(Oh)
2.North American Tanning Corp was located at Tannery,Kentucky around 1900.
3.Valley Produce was located in Portsmouth,Oh.
4.Honey Creek Meats is located outside of Nevada,Oh.
5.Cuttinghams/Petermans is names I made up.
6.Standard American Knitting is base on a real company in Mansfield-North American Knitting.I just changed the name.
Of course Jackson was on the DT&I and B&O's branch to Portsmouth from Wellston.

Larry
Summerset Ry.

Glen Haasdyk

Posted - 2004 September 24 :  10:17:22 PM  Show Profile
Pete,
Great job on the southside. I built it for my first layout. I didn't have a turntable at the time so I had to add another turnout to the upper right to make a run-around track. I sold the layout years ago since I decided that it was too long and narrow to expand into another layout.

Glen Haasdyk
http://www.railimages.com/gallery/glenhaasdyk

Reddog

Posted - 2004 September 27 :  02:35:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, G.F., and Glen. It's a great layout. I'll take some more photos sometime and post them. There is currently room for building flats, and if you build it, you could always make it an inch or two wider and put more structures behind it. Someday, when I have even more room for a layout, I'm going to takedown the backdrop, and add another couple inches in the back for a passing siding to use as an interchange.

If you look at the trackplan I have now, there is only one track that traverses the entire "Southside Connecting" portion of the layout. It would be way cool to have an extra one (or two!) to use as an interchange. Then the long freights could pass by through, dropping of the cars bound for the "Southside" :-) and then continue on their way. I do this anyway now, but just use that one track for the interchange. Makes for some interesting switching problems, but it fills up fast, and then the mainline is fouled while they are there, so I have to find other storage tracks. Very fun though!

Pete

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: IS SPEED REALLY AN ISSUE??? Topic Next Topic: Thats enough, STOP!!!!  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000