Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Best All-Time Nscale Kitbash!
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 36 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Best All-Time Nscale Kitbash!
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Beaver boxes for free Topic Next Topic: Bachmann Gen2 C40-8 improvments
Page: of 2

sd80mac

Posted - 2004 September 01 :  6:22:19 PM  Show Profile
I am primarily an HO scale modeler, but I do dabble a little in N scale. It's one thing for HOers to kitbash projects, but when N scalers do it...it becomes something all new!

For two of the best "All-Time" N scale kitbashes I would like to nominate Tehachapifans's ATSF GP60M and SD75M.

Romans 10:9-10

GimpLizard

Posted - 2004 September 01 :  6:25:13 PM  Show Profile
Very impressive. Even an old time fan like me can respect the workmanship.

Mike

"They don't call it the GREAT Northern for nothing."

hemiadda2d

Posted - 2004 September 01 :  6:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit hemiadda2d's Homepage
My only kitbash:
GN X1-X30 series slant-cupola cabeese:

Mopar or NoCar!!
Long live the BN!

http://www.railimages.com/gallery/jeremiahsiembida

Virginia Atlantic RR

Posted - 2004 September 01 :  6:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Getting nothing but Red X's on your Pics sd80mac...

conrail1963

Posted - 2004 September 01 :  6:58:12 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

The only thing I really kitbashed/scratchbuilt was a GP60M in Maersk #146 for my intermodal port. Russ' GP60M and SD are by far very impressive models and I couldn't compete with them but, he gave me the inspiration and drive to try to build one! BeforeI started this project, I was just a RTR type guy, just put a little weathering on them and throw them on the layout or back in their cases. During building and still after I've got the kitbashing bug and am looking for my next project. I still need to add a few things but, here's the stage it's been in for about a year.

Thanks, for taking a look!

Happy Rails evryone,
Rick

hemiadda2d

Posted - 2004 September 01 :  7:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit hemiadda2d's Homepage
Rick, great stuff, and though I'm on cable, that pic is HUGE. Perhaps scale it down a bit?

Mopar or NoCar!!
Long live the BN!

Boxies

Posted - 2004 September 01 :  7:39:09 PM  Show Profile
Very nice work guys. I hope that Chris333 will post a picture of the 2-6-2 that he bashed from an Atlas/Ace Mogul.

Chris

Posted - 2004 September 01 :  7:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage
I am a steam guy, but wow! This is great stuff!

Chris Barany - TAMR NE Rep
Its just a dream, If you run on steam

GN Fan

Posted - 2004 September 02 :  6:21:07 PM  Show Profile
Hey hemiadda2d, How did you make the GN X1-X30 caboose. I would really like one or more of those. Any hints, instructions, would be really apreciated.

Tom GN Fan

Any day that you wake up with no dirt covering your face is a GOOD day.

Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina | Posts: 274 Go to Top of Page

hemiadda2d

Posted - 2004 September 02 :  7:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit hemiadda2d's Homepage
Tom,
It was a bash of an Atlas international std cupola caboose.
I got a donor car, cobbled the roof, and chopped the underframe till I had what I needed.
The only parts the car did not have was MT couplers, and new Gold Medal Models
(from a freight car detail set) roofwalks.
The sides and ends were sheet styrene, painstakingly cut, and installed.
The final finish is Microscale decals and Polly Scale acaboose red paint.
A forum friend of mine has a laser cutter, and cut a set of sides for me to try another car,
but I haven't had time to try them.
A retrofit kit may become available, if the experimental sides work out. A complete series of shots
(about halfway down the page)from start to finish are available on my rail images albums:
http://www.railimages.com/gallery/N?page=2

Mopar or NoCar!!
Long live the BN!

emd45

Posted - 2004 September 02 :  8:22:40 PM  Show Profile
This is not a kitbash, but it is one of my favorites. Did this for show in Chatilly.

3rdrail

Posted - 2004 September 02 :  8:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit 3rdrail's Homepage
Here's a very old steam locomotive kitbash. As a matter of fact, it was done thirty years ago, still runs, and its contruction was described in my article in the December, 1975, issue of Model Railroader. Parts from Atlas (Rivarossi), MiniTrix, and Kadee were used. It's a PRR H10s Consolidation:

As to the pictures in the preceding posts, the photos of Tehachapifan's GP60M are on Geocities, which can be obstinate about remote linking. conrail1963's photo is almost 500KB, no wonder it's so big!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Gregg.Mahlkov/

revnjeff

Posted - 2004 September 02 :  10:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit revnjeff's Homepage
About the only "kitbashing" I've done is this locomotive, an SD35M or SD35W. It's basically an Atlas SD35, with the cab from a Kato SD70MAC.

I also did another with a Kaslo shop safety cab, but no pics yet on that one. This photo was taken when there was still some work left to be done on it.

Da Rev
Even God is a model railroader. The Bible says, "I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple." (Isaiah 6:1)

Skytop35

Posted - 2004 September 03 :  09:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Skytop35's Homepage
Hi All,

Here's a photo of my favorite kitbash, an FP7.
It was made from two Kato F7 shells to get the extra 4 feet.
The Kato mechanism was stretched as well by sawing the frame in half and adding a new section using White 2 Ton Epoxy.

I hope Intermountain comes out with these someday as I'd like more but don't want to go through all the work it involves.

Bill Denton

------------------------------
Bill Denton
The Kingsbury Branch
------------------------------

Edited by - Skytop35 on 2004 September 03 09:12:27 AM

hemiadda2d

Posted - 2004 September 03 :  11:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit hemiadda2d's Homepage
Bill, you da MAN!
That FP7 looks like it came from Kato that way! Great work!

Mopar or NoCar!!
Long live the BN!

wm3798

Posted - 2004 September 03 :  2:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit wm3798's Homepage
Somebody needs to resize that photo. It's killin' me.

Here's one I did, making a GP-9 chop nose from an Atlas shell and a LL GP-20 drive.

Lee

Mill Street Studios - Custom N Scale Offerings.

www.wmrywesternlines.net

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Beaver boxes for free Topic Next Topic: Bachmann Gen2 C40-8 improvments  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000