Atlas Model Railroad Co. - EZ DCC OR EASYDCC;
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 28 ]  [ Total: 28 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 DCC Forums
 DCC Forum
 EZ DCC OR EASYDCC;
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: HO B30-7 Analog Topic Next Topic: Newbie question  

GTIRR

Posted - 2010 July 20 :  4:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Don't get the 2 confused because there is a big difference!
EasyDCC is out of Richardson TX and is made by CVP Products and is one of the leaders in the DCC market.
The other is by Bachmann....Need I say more???
gtirr

Rusty

Posted - 2010 July 23 :  5:10:16 PM  Show Profile
I have seen them both, and yes there is a big difference.
One is junk and the other, which I have, is great.
CVP Products have been around a long time building
quality products for our great hobby.
Also, for someone who doesn't want to spend
as much on DCC, check out NCE as they have a
great starter set with great tech support as
does CVP.
R

Edited by - Rusty on 2010 July 23 5:17:14 PM

Selector

Posted - 2010 July 26 :  4:46:15 PM  Show Profile
I try to avoid appearances of contributing to discussions that sound off against any one particular manufacturer, but I do have to agree that the two are widely separated in terms of their overall utility. I haven't looked at prices for this comparison, but in terms of what you can do with either, the EZ-Command is unlike anything else on the DCC market. How could Bachmann have brought to the shelves a train controlling system that didn't afford its owner the most basic attraction and functions of DCC in terms of managing what the host locomotive does...inputting values to the numerous CV's controlling movement and sounds?

I have never understood this decision. Sell me a bottle of Scotch without alcohol in it. Yeah, that'll work.

GTIRR

Posted - 2010 July 26 :  8:06:05 PM  Show Profile
Selector, I can answer that in 1 word, cost.
Make it as cheap as possible.
When you look at it you think it can only cost $10 bucks!
That's probably what it cost to make it, or less, but they can jack
up the price and then the dealers can discount it 70-80% and still make money.
I'll stick with a well known name that has quality products and great support
after the sale.
gtirr

iansouthaustralia

Posted - 2010 July 26 :  9:06:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Selector

I try to avoid appearances of contributing to discussions that sound off against any one particular manufacturer, but I do have to agree that the two are widely separated in terms of their overall utility. I haven't looked at prices for this comparison, but in terms of what you can do with either, the EZ-Command is unlike anything else on the DCC market. How could Bachmann have brought to the shelves a train controlling system that didn't afford its owner the most basic attraction and functions of DCC in terms of managing what the host locomotive does...inputting values to the numerous CV's controlling movement and sounds?

I have never understood this decision. Sell me a bottle of Scotch without alcohol in it. Yeah, that'll work.

TheE-Z Command system was, I think, aimed at the toy train market and served that market very well.

The E-Z system was a toy train controller that just had basic DCC. Was nothing more and I don't think was ever meant to be.

I will admit it did serve as a cheap way into DCC for those that wanted to try it.

Ian

Click here to see Neverwos Rail Link home page : http://members.kern.com.au/users/wadeiai/

Selector

Posted - 2010 July 26 :  10:31:29 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I can see that. Scotch without the hangover.

rick marcroft

Posted - 2010 July 28 :  5:40:51 PM  Show Profile
I'll make this small, conditional case FOR the EZ command from Bachmann

If you already have a full-functioned system, like NCE or digitrax, and you have multiple small layouts like I do, then using the Bachmann is fine

I program my locos on the NCE I use at home, and use them on my office layout at work, which is powered by EZ Command

I use the NCE to program addresses, adjust speed and sound CV's, then take the engins to work where they run just fine under the BAchmann system

As a single system, the EZ command is a waste, but as a supplemental system for running a small layout, it's cheap and reliable.

tstage

Posted - 2010 August 16 :  1:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit tstage's Homepage
Selector and I have a respectful disagreement over this very topic. (Hey, Crandell ) Crandell regretted buying his E-Z Command from the getgo while I enjoyed mine for the year that I had it. Why? Because I knew exactly what it could and couldn't do and I worked happily within that frame work.

I originally picked up my E-Z Command (in 2005) for nearly 50% off MSRP. Had it been regular price ($100 MSRP) and I had had the $$$ on hand, I would have considered getting the Digitrax Zephyr instead. However, the E-Z Command afforded me the luxury of adding DCC and two decoders (for my then startup fleet) for just under $100. This allowed me to both enjoy DCC for an entire year, as well as time to research which DCC system I would upgrade to next. (I eventually settled on the NCE Power Cab.) Bottom line: The E-Z Command aided in allowing me to get my feet wet in DCC - without spending a lot of $$$ upfront.

Is it a limited system? Absolutely. Is it garbage? Not to me. Even though it only had 1A of output, I could run up to 3 locomotives at a time on my small 4x8 layout. I could also turn on and off headlights, as well as play F1-F8. Far more fun operating trains - to me - than running them on DC.

I will agree that the E-Z Command is no EasyDCC. But...that's because it was never meant to be. It is what it is and, I think, serves a useful - albeit somewhat niche - purpose for those interested in trying DCC but not able or willing to plunk down a chunk of change just to try it out.

Just because a particular DCC system (or car, or computer, or cell phone, etc.) doesn't fit YOUR needs doesn't mean it isn't right for someone else.

Tom

Tom's New York Central HO Layout

Time...It marches on...without ever turning around to see if anyone is even keeping in step.

Previous Topic: HO B30-7 Analog Topic Next Topic: Newbie question  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000