Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Badger 260 Question
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: vivianod1 ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Badger 260 Question
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Wheels of Time celestory roof cars Topic Next Topic: Broken turnout  

Spookshow

Posted - 2010 June 06 :  07:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Spookshow's Homepage
How much air pressure is required to strip paint using a Badger 260? My compressor can only maanage 20-25 PSI, which doesn't seem like enough oomph for stripping (I'm using baking soda instead of the aluminum oxide). Maybe I need to get a can of Badger "Propel"?

Thanks,
-Mark

Dear Atlas - Please Make More DME/ICE Models!

Lou D

Posted - 2010 June 06 :  08:15:06 AM  Show Profile
Mark,although I never really had a guage on it,I'm pretty sure my compressor only does about 25 pounds,it works fine..You do need fairly decent volume,though.My compressor is pretty much the same as the small Badger,but it came off a Bunn Coffee machine,LOL!!!

Spookshow

Posted - 2010 June 06 :  09:36:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Spookshow's Homepage
I guess I must be doing something wrong then; I'm not able to strip anything. Any tips?

Thanks,
-Mark

ram53

Posted - 2010 June 06 :  10:13:15 AM  Show Profile
I've just been using mine minutes ago to remove the paint off some etched brass detail parts: I used 50 psi and they were stripped clean in seconds. I don't think you will get any stripping effect under 40 psi, and the system will tend to clog up. I use a compressor with a tank, moisture trap etc. The same compressor I paint with. I find 60-70 psi about the best for stripping factory paint. I put the soda through a fine sieve before loading into the jar to get rid of lumps, and often have to shake the jar during work as the stuff is so fine it tends to clump as it settles. There is a thread on the HO forum in April of this year on the same topic, I think the title is "Paasche air eraser" or something like that. The soda was also being used for weathering effects.

You could try canned air I guess, but in the long run, that's quite expensive. You might want to try a compressor with an air tank and a higher psi output which you can use for both painting and blasting. These are often much cheaper than hobby-type compressors.

The soda blasting technique isn't perfect, but I would never go back to chemical stripping. You know 100% that the paint will come off, and you get the added bonus of microabrading Acetal and Delrin, making them easy to glue and paint.

Spookshow

Posted - 2010 June 06 :  10:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Spookshow's Homepage
Ugh, a tank now? This is starting to sound like a money pit - and all to strip one model...

Up until this Precision Craft E7 I've always had good results with chemical stripping and at this point I think I'm just going to call it a day and take Lou up on his offer to do it for me.

Thanks,
-Mark

Previous Topic: Wheels of Time celestory roof cars Topic Next Topic: Broken turnout  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000