Atlas Model Railroad Co. - MTL Trucks for MDC 50" boxcars
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 84 ]  [ Newest Member: vivianod1 ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 MTL Trucks for MDC 50" boxcars
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Scale speed motor replacement Topic Next Topic: Any good hobby shop -- Hartford CT  

slimster99

Posted - 2010 June 05 :  8:55:47 PM  Show Profile
A couple months back I purchased some MDC 50' modern boxcar kits painted up for CV [model not based on an actual prototypes]. I need to swap out the MDC trucks and rapidos with MTL trucks with couplers. Does anyone know if the trucks with short-shank couplers [1030] would work or should I stick with trucks with medium shank couplers [1033]? I will be running them on 11" radius curves.

Thanks in advance,

John

sdodge

Posted - 2010 June 05 :  9:43:33 PM  Show Profile
This is a good question....I have replaced the trucks on many MDC modern box cars and here is my experience. The trucks I use are Barber Rolling Bearing but the coupler length is open for discussion. I have used both the short and medium length and the short couplers work but in my opinion they are just a tad short and the mediums are probably just a tad long unless you want the cushion underframe look. The short ones are a little more difficult to uncouple with a pick, but again they will work. Either one will work on 11" radius curves. I would try one of each and see which one you like best.

Not trying to be evasive but there is IMHO not a real correct answer, some personal preference comes in to play.

Steve Dodge

Edited by - sdodge on 2010 June 05 10:08:36 PM

Ike the BN Freak

Posted - 2010 June 05 :  11:09:04 PM  Show Profile
I like Steve am the same way...some cars I use mediums on for a cushioned underframe look and others I do short. They both seem to work just fine.

nkalanaga

Posted - 2010 June 06 :  12:14:46 AM  Show Profile
I used body mounted 1025s and Precision Masters or MT wheels in the original trucks IF the MDC cars had their good roller bearing trucks. Otherwise, most have the 1025s and MT RB trucks. Those that do have truck mounted couplers all have the short couplers and work fine.

N. Kalanaga
Be well.

Previous Topic: Scale speed motor replacement Topic Next Topic: Any good hobby shop -- Hartford CT  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000