Atlas Model Railroad Co. - SCL and the U36B.
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 47 ]  [ Total: 47 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 SCL and the U36B.
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Athearn Genesis GP15-1s!!! Topic Next Topic: NE RPM is less than a week away
Page: of 2

amtrakb32

Posted - 2010 May 24 :  10:34:12 AM  Show Profile
I have been looking at quite a few pictures of locomotives of the Seaboard Coast Line, and I notice they really used the U36B a lot. These have EMD trucks on them. Was the U36B kind of a standard locomotive on the Seaboard Coast Line?
Paul Hebert

FP45Tony

Posted - 2010 May 30 :  10:35:34 PM  Show Profile
A32,

Yes the U36B, along with the U33B made up a large chunk of the SCL's road engine fleet back in the 70s. I enjoyed seeing those U-Boats hauling phosphate trains, Trailer Train blocks,and fast freight on the SCL. Occasionally these U-Boats "pinched hit" for ailing Amtrak E-units. U36Bs were often assigned to America's most famous perishable manifest: The Tropicana Juice Train.

Here's a couple of clips featuring SCL U-Boat power.

Trio of SCL UBoats. The lead, #1805 is a U36B coupled to a pair of U-18Bs. Notice that the U36B has the radiator "wings" on the back. The U18s do not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUUQFp9EQMw&feature=PlayList&p=587478119137D6EF&playnext_from=PL&index=43

A U36B and 4 EMD Geeps hauling a fast freight. The horn at the very beginning of the clip is a Leslie RS5T-RR0, which became SCL's standard horn for road units. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spvd469P-ck&feature=PlayList&p=587478119137D6EF&playnext_from=PL&index=1 I've just ordered an undecorated model of an ATLAS Wide Vision Caboose from my LHS, Happy Hobo Trains. Though the Atlas version is not exact, it's close enough for me. I plan on airbrushing and decaling it into the orange SCL paint scheme.

I miss those wonderful days. Here in Florida, SCL (from my experience)during the 70s was very railfan friendly. Good manners often got me into yards and even several cab rides.

--------------------------

Yes, Waiter. I'll take my Pullman Standards and Budds in clean, southeastern Stainless Steel flavors, please!

What? Silver? No..... leave that stuff off!

Edited by - FP45Tony on 2010 May 30 10:43:27 PM

EASTERN MARYLAND RWY

Posted - 2010 May 30 :  11:52:39 PM  Show Profile
I love U36B's. Here are some Atlas Kitbashed U36B's John from Southern Tier models did for me.

Don Boehs

Edited by - EASTERN MARYLAND RWY on 2010 May 30 11:57:08 PM

FP45Tony

Posted - 2010 May 31 :  10:49:18 PM  Show Profile
Very nice job! Were these a combination of Atlas U36Cs and Proto 2000 U30Bs?

Yes, Waiter. I'll take my Pullman Standards and Budds in clean, southeastern Stainless Steel flavors, please!

CSX3305

Posted - 2010 May 31 :  11:02:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by FP45Tony

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark that these are the result of Atlas U23B's kitbashed with cut-down Atlas U36C long hoods.

And to the OP, hardly anything screams SCL more than a U36B.

Top Five prototypes I'd like to have in HO scale:
1. GP40-2 phase 2c with and without nose headlight, preferably in Master or Genesis format
2. Pullman 3000 cu ft. 2-bay 100-ton cement hopper (Family Lines, CSX,SOU,NS) (Come on, Blaine!! You can do it!)
3. Raceland-built 52'6" Chessie gons
4. Late-phase GP40 in Chessie in Master or Genesis format
5. U36B and/or U33B, preferably in Master format

"I'd rather have razor blades shoved under my fingernails than see one more thread about the economics and marketplace theory of model railroading."

http://csxchickamauga.blogspot.com

santafeguy

Posted - 2010 May 31 :  11:25:48 PM  Show Profile
I love the SCL SD45-2s, great looking engines. "Pulling For You."

Jacob

EASTERN MARYLAND RWY

Posted - 2010 May 31 :  11:35:01 PM  Show Profile
FP45, No, I think they were Atlas U23B drive and body kit-bashed w/ a Atlas U33/36C Radiator/ fan area (Rear of the U33/36C body cut off and attached to cab/engine doors and frame of a U23B).

quote:

Don Boehs

nygl2

Posted - 2010 June 01 :  08:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit nygl2's Homepage
All Atlas on these U36Bs.

I used the radiator & prime mover area from a 33C body as I needed 8 access doors.
Splice is along rivet strip right behind clean air room.
Each one has unique details, each built from photos of real loco. The only way to truly model.

And before I relocated to the Sunshine State, I'd vacation railfan from the Bradenton Holiday Inn, overlooking the bascule bridge over Manatee River, which is just north of Tropicana plant. Nothing like catching the Juice Train with 3 U36Bs, later B36-7s.
I'm actually an EMD guy, but those Boats sure were impressive.

John, Southern Tier Modelworks

FP45Tony

Posted - 2010 June 01 :  9:36:18 PM  Show Profile
NYGl2, I understand your sentiments. I generally like EMDs, but was always impressed by SCL'sU33B and U36Bs. To me and friends I know, the combination of: The loud chugging prime movers, the "Dick Tracy face" styled GE cab, and those radiator "wings" or "hammer heads"made these particular U-Boats cool, tough looking brutes.

CSX3305

Posted - 2010 June 01 :  10:36:39 PM  Show Profile
quote:

NYGl2, I understand your sentiments. I generally like EMDs, but was always impressed by SCL'sU33B and U36Bs. To me and friends I know, the combination of: The loud chugging prime movers, the "Dick Tracy face" styled GE cab, and those radiator "wings" or "hammer heads"made these particular U-Boats cool, tough looking brutes.

And don't forget the thick plumes of black smoke that would pour out of the stacks anytime the hogger grabbed another notch. That was always one of things I found most charming about these units along with the B23-7/B30-7/B36-7 units. (as a CSX man I have no affinity or need for Alcos).

When I get a few more projects completed I need to build a couple of these. It"ll be costly unless I can get the U36C shells from Atlas...

1. GP40-2 phase 2c with and without nose headlight, preferably in Master or Genesis format
2. Pullman 3000 cu ft. 2-bay 100-ton cement hopper (Family Lines, CSX,SOU,NS) (Come on, Blaine!! You can do it!)

"I'd rather have razor blades shoved under my fingernails than see one more thread about the economics and marketplace theory of model railroading."

Edited by - CSX3305 on 2010 June 01 10:39:57 PM

RailThunder

Posted - 2010 June 01 :  11:56:46 PM  Show Profile
Hopefully we won't have to build them as Atlas will bless us with some in SCL and Auto Train...

quote:
Originally posted by CSX3305

quote:

And don't forget the thick plumes of black smoke that would pour out of the stacks anytime the hogger grabbed another notch. That was always one of things I found most charming about these units along with the B23-7/B30-7/B36-7 units. (as a CSX man I have no affinity or need for Alcos).

When I get a few more projects completed I need to build a couple of these. It"ll be costly unless I can get the U36C shells from Atlas...

Modeling the Seaboard Coast Line (SCL) Tampa Division and Amtrak. We need a U36B and SDP40F....

CSX3305

Posted - 2010 June 02 :  11:14:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RailThunder

Hopefully we won't have to build them as Atlas will bless us with some in SCL and Auto Train...

I guess its possible, but I would say highly unlikely unless they can tool it in such a manner that they can also make U33B's from the same mold base. In order to up the roadname/paintscheme count, y'know.

Edited by - CSX3305 on 2010 June 02 11:16:17 AM

nygl2

Posted - 2010 June 02 :  7:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit nygl2's Homepage
quote:

And don't forget the flames !

Back in Suffern, I'd wath the NJ Trainset U34s accelerate eastbound and in winter, they blow 6 foot flames, sparks & chugs out those big stacks.

carrman

Posted - 2010 June 02 :  7:56:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Well, my source for U33 shells is sold out, so I'm not sure where you'll find them now.

Dave

CSXT4447

Posted - 2010 June 03 :  08:39:38 AM  Show Profile
Don, John, - great looking CSX B/G kitbash units.

John - I like the colors on the units; the gray has that blue-ish tint that early CSX had. Is it custom mix or just a stock gray? (looks like Polyscale New Gravel Gray maybe?).

Mark Menges
CSX Barr & Garrett Subs
csxt4447@hotmail.com

nygl2

Posted - 2010 June 03 :  08:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit nygl2's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CSXT4447

Don, John, - great looking CSX B/G kitbash units.

John - I like the colors on the units; the gray has that blue-ish tint that early CSX had. Is it custom mix or just a stock gray? (looks like Polyscale New Gravel Gray maybe?).

Thanks, many manufacturers don't realize CSX had different grays. Yes, custom mixed, like all my colors, to match photos of prototypes I always use.
The photo has a blue shift, it appears bluer in these photos than it is, but I feel the models are dead on.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Athearn Genesis GP15-1s!!! Topic Next Topic: NE RPM is less than a week away  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000