Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Blue, Blue, my RS11 is Blue
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Blue, Blue, my RS11 is Blue
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Thursday Proto Photo - May 20th, 2010 Topic Next Topic: SD70Ms in storage where?
Page: of 3

el3637

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  03:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
and has decals too

Un-weathered locos are really difficult to photograph. The glossy blue looked absolutely un-flattering in any kind of photo so I spared you all. This is after decals and a 50-50 dull+glosscoat mix. Hopefully once it cures it will make a decent (oil) weathering base.

There are so many things I can do better next time around. Those end railings are a bitch. I can't really figure out how they transition from the front to the top, or where. Do it straight, and either the end rails lean in (as you can see in the close-up), or you have to bend the uprights out to compensate. It's not a lot, I just can't figure out where the kick needs to be so that both parts can stand up straight.

Also that brake chain is not routed through the hanger incorrectly, it just looks that way because when I dullcoated it, the chain flopped and stuck to the sideframe. It should just be dangling between the pulley on one piston and the clevis of the other piston. The part of the chain that descends from the sill pulleys to the piston pulley is likely to be the last detail added to the model.

I think my rigged up antenna came out ok, with no real plans or anything. Actually I made a lot of parts for this thing - the antenna, the sandfill hatches, the pilot steps, the cut lever extensions, the entire fuel tank and air tanks, the entire brake chain pulley rigging, the drop steps, the cab window (those are trimmed and conjoined Cannon EMD window frames), the awnings, as well as fabricating the end uprights.

Yeah, it's not done yet... Nobody is going to be impressed with the finished thing because y'all have seen where it's been... LOL. I guess it's my best documented Superfleet loco so far. Hopefully the pics will make a handy reference for my next RS11, so I can recognize my mistakes when I make them again.

Andy

CNW

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  04:00:15 AM  Show Profile
Looks great Andy, well done!

Rockford and Indiana Railroad - THE Chicago connection!

kog1027

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  07:09:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Yeah, it's not done yet... Nobody is going to be impressed with the finished thing because y'all have seen where it's been... LOL. I guess it's my best documented Superfleet loco so far. Hopefully the pics will make a handy reference for my next RS11, so I can recognize my mistakes when I make them again.

I beg to differ Andy. That is one beautiful model. Well done, Sir, Well done.

Mark Gosdin

Capndick

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  07:23:54 AM  Show Profile
Shoot Andy,
I thought it was an out of the box kit you found in blue....outstanding job.
I model the N&W, Southern etc too, love the blue.
Dick

Dave Owens

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  08:48:23 AM  Show Profile
Terrific model, Andy. I think it's damned good.

Dave Owens

2012 New England/Northeast Prototype Modelers Meet
June 1-2, 2012 (Always the weekend after Memorial Day)
Collinsville, Connecticut
www.neprototypemeet.com

graftonterminalrr

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  09:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit graftonterminalrr's Homepage
Agreed. A very handy reference should I ever build that CV ex-NW RS11 (CV 3612) that's captured my interest lately.

Owner/Operator of the Grafton Terminal Railway, set in the 1978-1984 period

carrman

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  10:07:10 AM  Show Profile
Don't be so modest Andy, well done.

Dave

Brakie

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  10:10:02 AM  Show Profile
Very nice..

Your 375 looks better then the real 375. Last time I saw the 375 she was sandwiched between 2 GP9s on a manifest rolling out of Portsmouth toward Columbus around 78/79..

I had its picture but,it was among the pictures lost in the flood.

Larry
Summerset Ry.

drolsen

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  10:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit drolsen's Homepage
Andy - I always think it's the mark of a great model when the paint brings everything together, and you can't see all the seams and individual detail parts anymore. Well, obviously you know where they all are from building it, but to us, it just looks like a complete diesel. Great job!

Dave

Railfanning and Modeling the CSX Old Main Line in the 1990s
http://drolsen.rrpicturearchives.net/

Edited by - drolsen on 2010 March 06 10:15:44 AM

Edwardsutorik

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  10:57:39 AM  Show Profile
Andy,

Very nice work, indeed. I hope to someday put together some decent BN versions from my pile of Proto and Atlas ones, and your work will be a guide.

As far as the end railings go:
From side photos of BN RS11's in the 1975-1976 BN Annual, it appears to me that the correction happens down at the bottom at the horizontal section between the mounting point and the curve that brings the handrail to vertical. I think it also happens in the curve itself. I'll note that, because we modelers don't work to "exact fineness", you've probably got more of an offset to do than the prototype--I at first didn't even see the above mentioned offset. One help will be to shove the handrail onto the pilot face until it's "all the way in"--I'm not totally sure from the picture, but it looks like you might be able to pick up a bit of distance that way.

Ed

PS: And the question is: "What song is Paul Mauriat famous for?"

Edited by - Edwardsutorik on 2010 March 06 4:16:01 PM

rutlandfan

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  11:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit rutlandfan's Homepage
Nice work Andy!

Phil

--
Member, Rutland Railway Historical Society - http://www.rutlandrr.org

Visit my RR Blog at http://www.rutlandrailway.com

Gnarly

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  12:47:21 PM  Show Profile
Really Nice Andy. Glad to seee your keeping busy. I think I'd rather be doing that than
the wiring nightmare I'm involved in right now!!

Gnarly
Modeling western railroading in HO

el3637

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  5:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Brakie
Your 375 looks better then the real 375. Last time I saw the 375 she was sandwiched between 2 GP9s on a manifest rolling out of Portsmouth toward Columbus around 78/79..

I shot the real 375 along about Dec 18th, 1975 in Hammond on a westbound on a winter morning when I had decent light. The 375 and 400 (even later RS11 phase) were the 2nd and 3rd of a 4-unit consist, both LHF. I decided right then to build a model of both. So here it is 34 years later...

Andy

nsfantodd

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  9:08:23 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

When you posted your photos a few weeks ago, I was impressed with your un-painted model.

I was hopeful, but afraid I would never see your model painted.

That's one of my pet-peaves... people posting un-finished projects, telling me how they are going to look when finished! (BTW that's why I don't post often... I have not finished anything in quite a while!)

So, I congradulate you, (and anyone else who has finshed any projects)!

375 turned out excellent!

Great job!

Todd Templeton

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/nsfantodd/
http://nsfantodd.rrpicturearchives.net/

BEDT26

Posted - 2010 March 06 :  11:36:32 PM  Show Profile
Outstanding! Great job Andy...

B.E.D.T. / BROOKLYN EASTERN DISTRICT TERMINAL

www.freightrrofnyc.info

el3637

Posted - 2010 March 07 :  01:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by nsfantodd
I was hopeful, but afraid I would never see your model painted.

When I am that close, it's not a problem. Painting is never the holdup, it's always something else. When that last something else is crossed off the list, I'm going to fire up the airbrush. Sometimes even if it's 4 am.

And it still needs weathering to look like this:

I was wrong, the 375 was 3rd in a 3-unit consist, the 400 was ahead of it. Lead unit was 1544, an SD35 running long hood forward. In the oncoming shot you can see the first part of the train... a full frame tank car, what looks like an Airslide, and what looks for all the world like a Southern Waffle. How topical is that? I got one today too, couldn't resist... I have 6 more waiting but I came across one at a swap so I grabbed it. It needs some very light weathering... in my era, the car would have been almost brand new (if I renumber it as a 1975 car especially).

Andy

Edited by - el3637 on 2010 March 07 01:56:03 AM

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Thursday Proto Photo - May 20th, 2010 Topic Next Topic: SD70Ms in storage where?  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000