Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Background Building Manufacturer
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Background Building Manufacturer
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: PRR Truck-Train color info needed Topic Next Topic: Overland Genset  

BNSF_FL

Posted - 2010 January 21 :  9:48:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I seem to recall that I saw a website for a company that manufactures background buildings, possibly mounted on foam board, sold individually.

Has anyone seen this site? I haven't been able to locate it amongst my multitude of modeling links... (I also have the Modelbuilder software to make my own, but was looking for this other site for alternatives...)

Thanks for any help!
JR in FL
Atlas - Please make a GP30 - Never mind - make a Shay, or Heisler!!!

basementdweller

Posted - 2010 January 21 :  10:08:22 PM  Show Profile
Walthers has their Cornestone buildings that are background buildings, they are very good and come with lots of extra parts.
Here is an example of one: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3160

In my opinion I think you are better off to buy a full size building for a few Dollars more and cut it down into two background buildings.

It's all scenery.

JDL3

Posted - 2010 January 21 :  10:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDL3's Homepage
You can also make your own from a regular kit--just build it as a flat. Since the CP Rail M & M Sub. is only a foot wide in most places (up to 2 feet in the yard area), almost all my buildings are flats. Some are scratchbuilt, like the Peace River Paper mill in the first photo below (made from Evergreen Styrene); others are kits that are laid out flat on foam core (second photo).

John Longhurst, Winnipeg

Gil Janus

Posted - 2010 January 21 :  10:47:14 PM  Show Profile
I think you might have been thinking of King Mill - http://www.kingmill.com - their flats/shallow buidings are available as separate buildings or in a package with many buildings. They look quite interesting. They are printed on 80-lb cover stock.

Gil

Edited by - Gil Janus on 2010 January 21 10:51:06 PM

BNSF_FL

Posted - 2010 January 21 :  11:05:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Gil - That is the company. Couldn't find that link...

Thanks,
Joe Reckner

quote:
Originally posted by Gil Janus

I think you might have been thinking of King Mill - http://www.kingmill.com - their flats/shallow buidings are available as separate buildings or in a package with many buildings. They look quite interesting. They are printed on 80-lb cover stock.

Gil

BNSF_FL

Posted - 2010 January 21 :  11:08:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Basementdweller. I already have a few of the Walthers building flats, was looking for some other background building flats to put behind areas like that, or in areas where the Walthers kits won't work for me.

Thanks!
JR in FL

quote:
Originally posted by basementdweller

Walthers has their Cornestone buildings that are background buildings, they are very good and come with lots of extra parts.
Here is an example of one: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3160

In my opinion I think you are better off to buy a full size building for a few Dollars more and cut it down into two background buildings.

BNSF_FL

Posted - 2010 January 21 :  11:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips John.

I am in the same boat as you regarding the width, although my layout is much smaller. Love your work that I have seen here and on video!

Thanks!
JR in FL

quote:
Originally posted by JDL3

You can also make your own from a regular kit--just build it as a flat. Since the CP Rail M & M Sub. is only a foot wide in most places (up to 2 feet in the yard area), almost all my buildings are flats. Some are scratchbuilt, like the Peace River Paper mill in the first photo below (made from Evergreen Styrene); others are kits that are laid out flat on foam core (second photo).

John Longhurst, Winnipeg

charlief

Posted - 2010 January 27 :  11:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Wish I had seen these sooner, but have gotten by with lots of Walthers background buildings. I have also used the DPM townhouse flats which do not have sidewalls, however the Walthers kits came with extra brickwork which provided the missing sidewalls. The DPM hotel includes sidewalls. Have also used the SS Ltd bank and grain exchange which are called "false fronts" yet come with sidewalls.

Flxw1

Posted - 2010 January 28 :  12:13:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Gil Janus

Gil

I use several of them in both N Scale and HO they look really nice. I use Spray adhesive to put them on thin scenery board so to add some added depth. Quite reasonably priced as well.

Also there is "Model Tech Studios; they have some nice Laser Cut Backdrop Structures; I also mix in a couple of their kits also. Very nice detail and better depth.
http://mts.inline.net/merchant.ihtml?id=4&step=2

Edited by - Flxw1 on 2010 January 28 12:14:38 AM

Previous Topic: PRR Truck-Train color info needed Topic Next Topic: Overland Genset  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000