Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Pictures of MTH NS SD70M-2
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Pictures of MTH NS SD70M-2
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Sunday Photo Fun - 01/24/2010 Topic Next Topic: Sceniced staging on layout
Page: of 5

rdc_jay

Posted - 2010 January 19 :  06:13:59 AM  Show Profile
Curt...I like lighted number boards and I don't like smoke, yard chatter and the other things you list. For someone who harps on models being absolutely as prototypically correct as possible I'm surprised that you're not pro lighted number boards. I'm not surprised that you're derogatory though.

I'll say it now, I won't be buying the Athearn ACe when it arrives. I did buy the MTH DRGW heritage unit. Why? Every Athearn Genesis diesel I have cannot be handled without something falling or breaking off. The sole exception to this are the Highliner based F-units, which rock. I'm not crazy about MTH's lawyer happy mentality but their SD70ACe is a solid model.

ATSFAN

Posted - 2010 January 19 :  07:46:33 AM  Show Profile
Athearn would receive $0 in return for their investing in the tooling until they actually sell product.

I do not know how much they paid for the tooling, but 2+ years is a long time for that cost to be sunk.

During this time they have seen an SD70ACe come to market and a GEVO be announced.

Just some observations from a business perspective. As a hobbyist, this is all just casual to me [:-apple We are fortunate to have two each of the modern engines available (or coming).

steamer10

Posted - 2010 January 19 :  08:52:22 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by navarch2

Their position is off a bit symetrically and should be centered more, as opposed to out by the ends. However I don't see that as much of a deal.

The mismatch/mistake is a fact, but, indeed, the importance of it is the owner's to decide.

quote:

Are you referring to them not being high enough on the panel? If so yes, they look a bit off toward the bottom.

Yes, they go too far low, pushing the labels too low as well.

quote:

The item on the side of the cab is there on the demonstrators. So it may be the case that the EMD drawings had it.

That detail is specific to Union Pacific cabs, which is the largest batch of such equipped cabs.

I for one, am modeling the prototypes not the drawings, so my judging is based on prototype pics, which for the NS #2651 unit go back to 2006.

With that being said, this model fits the roster's spot for many, like yourself, and that's a good thing.

---

quote:
Originally posted by jtrains

Another odd thing about the 2 pictures, The MTH model, the third open space in the hand rails, see that the last fan is not centered with it as it is on the prototype.

You may be right.... In comparing the pics for this model, one thing to keep in mind is that the stanchions positioning of the left and right set of handrails is not symmetrical.

I am quite sure that paying attention to each detail would reveal a lot more mismatch/problems - some of these were already mentioned in the past.

For instance, comparing the model and prototype rear steps/ladders from the pics posted (navarch2 and nsfantodd), on the model the steps and yellow stripes are equal in length, while on the prototype, the first(upper) step is shorter, and the lowest step is longer than the mid steps, while the yellow stripes are not equal in length - so both shape and paint are a mismatch.

Edited by - steamer10 on 2010 January 19 11:12:34 AM

navarch2

Posted - 2010 January 19 :  6:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit navarch2's Homepage
Amen......remember the SD70 spartan cabs....3 years nearly from announcement to delivery? I have no quarrel with their timing on this.

quote:
Originally posted by Curt Mc

In a hobby where some units took 4-5 years to make it to market, the Athearn delay is quite reasonable. I was told that at the time of the acquisition they had 30+ projects already in the production pipeline... and a few of which that we haven't seen advertised yet even at this time...

Jbonzo, how about the Kato SD70M with phase 2 cab that was supposed to be done over 4 years ago (shortly after they did them in N-scale)? BTW, were you in the hobby when Athearn added about one new locomotive per year, or two if they really pumped up production?

- Curt Mc

Bob

Visit the Providence Northern at:

www.providencenorthern.com

navarch2

Posted - 2010 January 19 :  7:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit navarch2's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by steamer10

quote:

Their position is off a bit symetrically and should be centered more, as opposed to out by the ends. However I don't see that as much of a deal.

The mismatch/mistake is a fact, but, indeed, the importance of it is the owner's to decide.

quote:

Are you referring to them not being high enough on the panel? If so yes, they look a bit off toward the bottom.

Yes, they go too far low, pushing the labels too low as well.

quote:

The item on the side of the cab is there on the demonstrators. So it may be the case that the EMD drawings had it.

That detail is specific to Union Pacific cabs, which is the largest batch of such equipped cabs.

I for one, am modeling the prototypes not the drawings, so my judging is based on prototype pics, which for the NS #2651 unit go back to 2006.

With that being said, this model fits the roster's spot for many, like yourself, and that's a good thing.

---

quote:
Originally posted by jtrains

Another odd thing about the 2 pictures, The MTH model, the third open space in the hand rails, see that the last fan is not centered with it as it is on the prototype.

You may be right.... In comparing the pics for this model, one thing to keep in mind is that the stanchions positioning of the left and right set of handrails is not symmetrical.

I am quite sure that paying attention to each detail would reveal a lot more mismatch/problems - some of these were already mentioned in the past.

For instance, comparing the model and prototype rear steps/ladders from the pics posted (navarch2 and nsfantodd), on the model the steps and yellow stripes are equal in length, while on the prototype, the first(upper) step is shorter, and the lowest step is longer than the mid steps, while the yellow stripes are not equal in length - so both shape and paint are a mismatch.

Yes indeed...the rear stepwell is not correct. Again not fatal for me...but looking at the Athearn pictures of the new SD70ACe, they did get it right.

Bob

Visit the Providence Northern at:

www.providencenorthern.com

FECTrain101

Posted - 2010 January 19 :  7:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Athearn just announced their first roll of ACes... Much better than MTH according to the proto pics from before... So there you go with the Athearn situation

-Tolga
Florida East Coast railway and CSX rules! :D
Proprietor of a soon-to-come CSX modern switching layout.

steamer10

Posted - 2010 January 20 :  08:16:28 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Yes indeed...the rear stepwell is not correct. Again not fatal for me...but looking at the Athearn pictures of the new SD70ACe, they did get it right.

Would be nice to see a full and thorough comparison of the models with the prototypes. I don't expect that from the Hobby press though.

I congratulate you for what I view a right attitude - accept, when it's pointed out, that the model is not perfect, and acknowledge that we all make in this hobby our own compromises.

Robbman

Posted - 2010 January 20 :  08:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Robbman's Homepage
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the angled box next to the inertial filter doesn't belong on a SD70M-2.

www.krunk.org/ns-nrv

www.mark4design.com

www.blmamodels.com

steamer10

Posted - 2010 January 20 :  08:58:42 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Robbman

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the angled box next to the inertial filter doesn't belong on a SD70M-2.

Oh yes, that's a big one!!!

Unfortunately, like the other details, the ABS shell makes this a lot more difficult a Do It Yourself fix.

Here it is, as obvious as it can be - the model pic (Bob's) and the prototype pic bellow it. Which also brings into focus the "too large" size of some of the warning labels on the model.

Edited by - steamer10 on 2010 January 20 09:09:24 AM

nygl2

Posted - 2010 January 20 :  09:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit nygl2's Homepage
I found something that really aggravates me.

The body is near impossible to remove.

The walkway is part of thr drive, weights & stuff is screwed down to it.
I think the only way to remove body is to totally remove handrails, and risk breaking things trying to pry cab, then long hood off. The problem is the body tabs (similat to Atlas system) cannot be accessed because trucks are blocking that. It isn't a simple wiggle & pull body release.

This is not good for me as customer doesn't want crew in cab and rear truck clip has popped, dangling useless. He would like light weathering too but getting windows out is also impossible.

I'm recommending that the customer sends it back.

And those are NOT Kadees they include, they are plastic clones (used loosely as they don't look like Kadees).

John, Southern Tier Modelworks

steamer10

Posted - 2010 January 20 :  09:59:59 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nygl2

I found something that really aggravates me.

The body is near impossible to remove.

The walkway is part of thr drive, weights & stuff is screwed down to it.

This answers a question I posted a while back on a similar thread.

It seems that the entire pilot, entire tail, and walkways are cast in one piece with the chassis, motor supports, and weight/core of the fuel tank.

Edited by - steamer10 on 2010 January 20 7:24:06 PM

amtrakb32

Posted - 2010 January 20 :  11:33:35 AM  Show Profile
Bring on the Athearn SD70M-2.... :)

Paul Hebert

MONONC420

Posted - 2010 January 20 :  11:51:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit MONONC420's Homepage
Did any of you SD70M-2 users notice that the horn file seems to be a great representation of a Nathan P5 instead of the correct K5LA?

Christian

Modeling the Central Railway of Indianapolis Circa. 1996-1998

"Central!"

upcsx

Posted - 2010 January 20 :  6:06:56 PM  Show Profile
MONONC420 Yes.

steamer10

Posted - 2010 January 20 :  7:20:32 PM  Show Profile
These are easier to fix as a DIY:
1. wrong size tabs
2. wrong position of grab iron

Model:

Prototype:

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Sunday Photo Fun - 01/24/2010 Topic Next Topic: Sceniced staging on layout  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000