Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Source for sagebrush for making trees?
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Source for sagebrush for making trees?
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bad batch of nozzles on Dullcoat Topic Next Topic: The hobby is alive  

dstaley

Posted - 2009 December 28 :  01:18:44 AM  Show Profile
Hey guys,
Why on earth isn't there a lower cost supplier for sagebrush?

Scenic Express gets about $2.50 per tree worth of sagebrush (NOT including any ground foam or other materials, just the "armature") and other online suppliers are even higher than that, at least the ones I found.

Isn't this stuff incredibly plentiful in some parts of the country? We have none of it here in Illinois.
Leading the evolution of another Plywood Pacific to a showcase of Kansas City railroads from my childhood

rick marcroft

Posted - 2009 December 28 :  02:34:01 AM  Show Profile
the stuff grows like topsy out here

i dont know if it is the exact species that scenic express uses, but there is no shortage of nice armatures to be plucked from my back yard

but yeah..the price i see quoted is amazing

here's one of my first stabs at tree-making

dean

Posted - 2009 December 28 :  08:31:44 AM  Show Profile
Rick, as you have demonstrated the use of sage brush is an excellent source for realistic looking trees. There are other natural products, i.e. weeds for making trees that can be found in overgrow fields of weeds, heck even in your own back yard.

I will relate a somewhat humorous story here, years ago, a good friend of mine, Steve, and I were making some “trees” and we needed some more raw material. Steve a week prior had found a great source for these “weeds” found along a RR right-of-way located behind some apartment complexes. Well we headed out to this location for more scenic material. Anyway, we had a number of the brown paper grocery bags we were using to carry our “harvested” trees in. As we were returning to the car, there were a couple of police officers there waiting for our return. They inquired as to what we were doing and what was in the bags we were carrying. Well…..needless to say my friend Steve explained to the officers what we were doing, and in fact he had a piece of Styrofoam on the back of the car with some already made trees, described how we were making them and that these were going to be used for a model railroad. The officers explained to us there was an anonymous phone call placed about some suspicious individuals “harvesting” weeds in a field. They were quite amazed as to what we were doing, what we were doing and commented they now have seen everything and sent us on our way.

dean

Santa Fe all the Way....Middle Division Emporia Sub Circa 1976 - 1986
Hoping someone someday will make a quality ACF 4600

basementdweller

Posted - 2009 December 28 :  1:12:58 PM  Show Profile
Dean, that is great.
That is a great looking tree.

It's all scenery.

dean

Posted - 2009 December 29 :  2:37:51 PM  Show Profile
For sagebrush, a friend of mine lived in southern Idaho and he shipped me several boxes of the stuff to use, cant beat nautral material for making realistic trees.

dean

Santa Fe all the Way....Middle Division Emporia Sub Circa 1976 - 1986
Hoping someone someday will make a quality ACF 4600

dstaley

Posted - 2010 January 06 :  8:47:18 PM  Show Profile
That would be awesome. A person could make a nice bit of income by just selling boxes of the stuff.

Leading the evolution of another Plywood Pacific to a showcase of Kansas City railroads from my childhood

navarch2

Posted - 2010 January 09 :  8:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit navarch2's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by dstaley

That would be awesome. A person could make a nice bit of income by just selling boxes of the stuff.

....ergo...the Woodland Scenics business model....

Bob

Visit the Providence Northern at:

www.providencenorthern.com

Previous Topic: Bad batch of nozzles on Dullcoat Topic Next Topic: The hobby is alive  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000