Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Walthers HO 130' Turntable
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 23 ]  [ Total: 23 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Walthers HO 130' Turntable
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Old days new days........wow ! Topic Next Topic: Bridge abutments ............both ends same?????/  

Trapper13

Posted - 2009 December 26 :  2:29:33 PM  Show Profile
I am about to install a Walthers 130' turntable. Any advise that isn't in the instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks

richhotrain

Posted - 2009 December 27 :  05:58:09 AM  Show Profile
Trapper,

The instructiions that come with the turntable are pretty complete.

The only thing that I can add about installation is to be sure that the turntable is raised to the height of the incoming tracks. Some place the turntable on the surface of the layout and taper the tracks down the surface of the layout to meet flush with the turntable track. I don't like that idea because it just causes potential alignment problems.

One other thing. While the indexing feature works pretty well in terms of lining up the turntable track with the roundhouse tracks, it began to seem like a royal pain as the turntable stopped at each roundhouse stall. So, I disabled the index and not do it manually. What I mean by manually is that I use the controller to electronically operate the turntable, but I stop the turntable at the roundhouse track that I want instead of relying on the indexing feature. Just a matter of personal preference.

Lastly, keep the turntable pit clean and be sure that ballast does not fall into the pit. It will jam the turntable and cause all kinds of problems, all of which can be remedied by a good vacuuming.

You will like the turntable. It is extremely reliable.

Rich

Capndick

Posted - 2009 December 27 :  07:53:12 AM  Show Profile
Rich,
You bring up an interesting point. I have been considering replacing my old Heljan TT with this one because I have to align the tracks manually due to the slop inherent in the drive, if you align with the motor and don't relieve the tension, the bridge will move as the loco enters or leaves.
My question is can you over-ride to the selected track and then let it index itself or is it strictly manual? and if so will the bridge stay put once aligned?

It's A lot of bucks and work if I still have the same old problems.

Thanks up front.
Dick

richhotrain

Posted - 2009 December 27 :  6:01:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Capndick

Rich,
You bring up an interesting point. I have been considering replacing my old Heljan TT with this one because I have to align the tracks manually due to the slop inherent in the drive, if you align with the motor and don't relieve the tension, the bridge will move as the loco enters or leaves.
My question is can you over-ride to the selected track and then let it index itself or is it strictly manual? and if so will the bridge stay put once aligned?

It's A lot of bucks and work if I still have the same old problems.

Thanks up front.
Dick

Dick,

I am not sure if I entirely understand your question, but let me answer it this way. If you program the index feature, the turntable stops at each roundhouse track that you have programmed but continues past each roundhouse track that has not been programmed. Each time it stops at a programmed track, a simple press on the controller button automatically moves the turntable track to the next programmed track.

Incidentally, the way that the Walthers turntable is engineered, the turntable track actually overruns the roundhouse track slightly, stops, then reverses itself to the exact position programmed. That indexing feature works pretty well as far as alignment goes. It just takes a long time if you have programmed several tracks.

In my case, I have a 9-stall roundhouse and 6 other tracks (2 on one side of the roundhouse and 4 on the other side. It just seems to me to be a lot faster to disable the indexing feature (you have to kill the indexing to each programmed track in that case) and run the turntable without the indexing feature by holding down on the controller button until you reach the desired track.

I rationalize this by thinking about the fact that it was done that way on many prototypes.

Rich

High Ball

Posted - 2009 December 27 :  8:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Hello;

I hope to someday have one of these turntables.

Recalling the track plans I've seen that incorporated turntables it seems that they are not very close to an operator.

If the indexing is deactivated dosn't it become kinda tough to align the turntable track with the other tracks?

If the operator was close enough to look down on the tracks it would be quite easy I would think. thanks.

nicholas

gmcrail

Posted - 2009 December 27 :  8:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit gmcrail's Homepage
I have a 105' CMR table, which has no indexing. I decided to build it that way for two reasons: one, that the indexing unit would have cost way too much, and two, the prototype tables are not indexed. On the prototype, the operator aligns the table by eye, and then they flip a couple of locking plates over that lock against the web of the approach/roundhouse track rails, to keep the table from wandering when an engine rolls onto it.

---
Gary M. Collins - CEO, Flint Hills Northern Ry.
http://fhn.site90.net
(please remove the "NOSPAM" to reply via email)
============================================
"The only capital crime in Nature is stupidity. The punishment is always death, and it is administered promptly and without mercy." -- Robert A. Heinlein
============================================
gmcrailgNOSPAM@gmail.com

E-L DIAMOND

Posted - 2009 December 27 :  9:07:07 PM  Show Profile
We have this turntable at the club. It is fully indexed. To
bypass any track or tracks just hold the direction button down
until you approach the track you want. Then let go of the
button. The indexing is what makes it so wonderful.
Also, although it says you can use A.C. or D.C. power, use
A.C.

Gary Blay

Erie Lackawanna
The Friendly Service Route

Edited by - E-L DIAMOND on 2009 December 27 9:21:15 PM

richhotrain

Posted - 2009 December 28 :  06:29:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by High Ball

Hello;

I hope to someday have one of these turntables.

Recalling the track plans I've seen that incorporated turntables it seems that they are not very close to an operator.

If the indexing is deactivated dosn't it become kinda tough to align the turntable track with the other tracks?

If the operator was close enough to look down on the tracks it would be quite easy I would think. thanks.

On my layout, the turntable is about 16 inches away from the edge of the table because of an eight track freight yard. Even so, I can reach into the layout and easily reach the turntable bridge, if necessary. From thst distance away, it is pretty easy to align the turntable track to any of the roundhouse tracks by "eyeballing" the correct alignment.

Incidentally, my layout height is 36 inches so that helps.

Rich

RDG-LNE

Posted - 2009 December 29 :  12:59:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit RDG-LNE's Homepage
One modeler in our round robin has a 130' turntable with a unique condition: It forgets the track positions over time. We programmed it several times and after a few weeks the track positions were forgotten by the indexing. We contacted Walthers about the problem and they offered a few suggestions (the first being read the manual) but none worked. Eventually, Walthers asked him to box everything up and return it. They sent a replacement that seems to be working great. To date, I've had no issues with my 130' turntable.

Drew

My railroad photos are here http://rdg-lne.rrpicturearchives.net

The Schuylkill & Ontario Ry. Co.

Selector

Posted - 2009 December 29 :  2:52:52 PM  Show Profile
I have the 90' HO version, and I too opted to use the AC power supply, but I can't really say why I did. Also, I shopped around locally to find a used one at an electronics supply outfit, not a store. I had the fellow spec it out and would purchase it only if the total voltage output was near 17 volts. He found it to be 16.5, and that was good.

I placed the turntable flat on the yard surface supported only by some thin strips of vinyl underlay...no problems. However, it meant that my yard lead to the bridge had to climb just a bit, and since I was using Code 100, I also had to file shallow trenches for the rails to match in height with those supplied on the bridge. I just used a Dremel with a thin grinding stone and swiped two shallow trenches set the right distance apart.

Other than that, figure out how your radial tracks into the roundhouse will align with any indexed positions, and do follow the wiring and programming instructions...mine were straight forward and worked as Walthers intended.

And do get into the habit of vacuuming the pit interior regularly...or else!!!!!

-Crandell

Edited by - Selector on 2009 December 29 2:54:29 PM

High Ball

Posted - 2009 December 31 :  11:05:01 AM  Show Profile
Hello;

HO scale is 1 to 87 right? If my kakulations are right a 130' turntable is 17.93"? A 90' turntable is 12.4"? That's the actual turntable right? What is the total, overall diameter of the units, both the 130' and the 90'? It's way ahead of turntable time but if I can get a good idea of size it will help me decide if it's doable. Normally, is the unit recessed down into the table top?
thanks.

nicholas

steve turner

Posted - 2009 December 31 :  11:41:56 AM  Show Profile
Add about 2 inches for the lip of turntable, about 6 inches for the feeder tracks to roundhouse and about 12 inches for the roundhouse depth. These facilities take alote of room up , plus the feeder tracks with whatever they have for facilities. Some serious planning to fit this all together .I like mine close to fasia too.All in all i must be taking up at least 5 to 6 feet by 18 inches in area to make it nice and not cramped. Roundhouse takes some figuring to get it right and cozy in its correct position and more room than you think.

steve turner

Posted - 2009 December 31 :  11:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Walthers have transition strips of code 100 to code 83 track since the track on bridge is code 83. Actually if you file under the code 100 track it will sit on lip and mate the code 83.The ends of track i filed at about a 45 degree. Mine is mounted on sheet cork over 1/2 inch plywood.Used full size template to mark ot with pins and felt pen then used jig saw to cut round hole out. The small screws can be a pain to install to hold down turntable........you could probably use cauking. The control panel is el cheapo and hard to install.It really need tobe placed at at a minimum 45 degree angle or at best so you look down at it not side ways. Mine will be flush mounted with a tiny bead of caulk with an off an on switch toggle switch at side for powering off and on.I dont want tobe pulling walwart each time i want it off or want to re programme. The color and weathering is terrible, i will eventually airbrush mine other than for the drive area.does work great though.

Previous Topic: Old days new days........wow ! Topic Next Topic: Bridge abutments ............both ends same?????/  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000