Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Oddball Decals Application
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 26 ]  [ Total: 26 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Oddball Decals Application
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Help! Topic Next Topic: Mopac GP18 (old run Proto) question
Page: of 2

Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Posted - 2009 December 21 :  9:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bob Rupp-Kilgore's Homepage
Are Oddball decals "good to go" right out of the package, or should they be topcoated with something first? I'm wondering if I should pick up some of the Microscale liquid decal film on my next run to the LHS. I've got a big project on the workbench, and a nice break during which to complete it!

www.oldmuleysroundhouse.com

john timm

Posted - 2009 December 21 :  9:47:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Bob,

I've used them without any special preparation and they worked fine for me.

John Timm

ACL1099

Posted - 2009 December 21 :  10:05:09 PM  Show Profile
Not crazy thin and apply fine out of the baggie.

route rock

Posted - 2009 December 22 :  08:40:53 AM  Show Profile
One thing is, be very careful while applying them to the model. They scratch very easily.

Bradford Greene "At the Rock Island, we are helping to feed the world, one car at a time"
(modeling the Rock Island in central Iowa & southern MN. in 1977).
http://rits.org

cf7

Posted - 2009 December 22 :  08:48:51 AM  Show Profile
Here is one that I did using their decals-

I applied the decals after spraying the car with clear and then used dull-cote to finish.

atsfman

Posted - 2009 December 22 :  08:50:04 AM  Show Profile
Can always recommend Odd Ball decals. Tom Stolte, the owner, is part of our local group in Kansas City and has a pretty good product going, along with a darn good railroad.

Bob

Bob Miller
Modeling the Santa Fe
in Oklahoma 1989
http://atsfmodelrailroads.com

Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Posted - 2009 December 22 :  10:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bob Rupp-Kilgore's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by atsfman

Can always recommend Odd Ball decals. Tom Stolte, the owner, is part of our local group in Kansas City and has a pretty good product going, along with a darn good railroad.

Bob

Good stuff to hear, guys. I've visited the Oddballs website numerous times and finally decided to place an order. He had the best variety of decals for my ridiculously large fleet of undecorated PS2 4427 covered hoppers. I'm excited to start applying 'em.

www.oldmuleysroundhouse.com

jayl1

Posted - 2009 December 22 :  10:38:14 AM  Show Profile
I also water down the Solvaset a bit.

nygl2

Posted - 2009 December 22 :  11:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit nygl2's Homepage
My experience with Oddballs Decals are they ARE crazy thin.
I've had break up upon wetting(Conrail ballast cars), the film rolling under itself when sliding off backing(most) and very few perform like good ol' Herald Kings.
Some of his older sets are bears to work with(Nebraska Central SD45).

I recommend a light coat of clear as a sealer, the ink does scratch easily.

I do want to add that I applaude Tiny,(Grumpy),Tom for producing decals that fill a huge void. Many of his sets are greatly needed and I've used hundreds.
It is getting very difficult printing decals with Alps & Kodak printers & inks being discontinued. Keep it up !

John, Southern Tier Modelworks

Edited by - nygl2 on 2009 December 22 2:25:02 PM

route rock

Posted - 2009 December 22 :  11:33:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Tom Stolte, the owner, is part of our local group in Kansas City

One thing about Tom you can easily pick him out in a crowd.
(one of the few guys that I can look up too)!Im66.

Bradford Greene "At the Rock Island, we are helping to feed the world, one car at a time"
(modeling the Rock Island in central Iowa & southern MN. in 1977).
http://rits.org

atsfman

Posted - 2009 December 22 :  1:20:15 PM  Show Profile
around kansas city he is known as "Tiny"
Bob

Bob Miller
Modeling the Santa Fe
in Oklahoma 1989
http://atsfmodelrailroads.com

CNW

Posted - 2009 December 22 :  1:56:18 PM  Show Profile
I have some of his newer sets and your are right John, they are thin like Microscale. I have also noticed they scratch very easily. Great if you are trying to weather the decal but not so good if you want it to stay nice. If you are careful you shouldn't have any problems with them.

Rockford and Indiana Railroad - THE Chicago connection!

ACL1099

Posted - 2009 December 22 :  3:39:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CNW

I have some of his newer sets and your are right John, they are thin like Microscale. I have also noticed they scratch very easily. Great if you are trying to weather the decal but not so good if you want it to stay nice. If you are careful you shouldn't have any problems with them.

Ah. To me, Microscale are not thinner than normal. They're like DM or Rail Graphics decals to me and I find them easy to handle. Dan Kohlberg's IC decals are and when he recommends the overcoat of liquid decal film, he means it. Once coated they handle well but also scratch easily. Herald King and Champ are thick to me. That's not condemning them by the way as I use them still.

nygl2

Posted - 2009 December 22 :  4:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit nygl2's Homepage
Some Herald King's were thick, but newer glossy were not that bad. Besides, Don Manlick printed most Herald King sets. Those two are the same, and compatible.

With any computer printed decal guys, the paper they use is the key.
Highball went through many kinds, some were useless. But now he's using great paper.
Some even use Microscale paper, actually called Clear Trim Film. It performs differently than Microscale's own decals, but works well.
It is best to clearcoat over any of this type of dry ink printed decals.

Microscale is thin in that they print right on glue, not clear film. They then screen print a clear film over the color heralds.

Now Champ, that's thick ! But I found many of their latest sets were better, thinner film and even crisper, more complete data.
But I've used Champ decals that were 30 years old,yellowed & they never broke up. I think modelers demand a better product now.

John, Southern Tier Modelworks

Edited by - nygl2 on 2009 December 22 4:51:34 PM

Tom

Posted - 2009 December 22 :  5:09:25 PM  Show Profile
I have used Oddball decals with success but have had some trouble with scratching and the thinness.

I would now recomments using Microscale Liquid Decal Film on them first. You just brush this stuff on, wait about 20 minutes for it to shrink down and dry, then apply the decals.

This stuff works great, protects the decals, and adds a slightly thicker film. Makes applying these decals very easy and the final finish is great.

ATSFAN

Posted - 2009 December 22 :  6:04:23 PM  Show Profile
They are thin. Be very careful applying setting solutions. Dilute them out of the bottle. Only use if you really need to over bumps etc. Overall a good product though.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Help! Topic Next Topic: Mopac GP18 (old run Proto) question  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000