Atlas Model Railroad Co. - resistor wheels
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 36 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 resistor wheels
Previous Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Loco wheel wobble Topic Next Topic: Z6 NP 4 6 6 4 handrails
Page: of 2

dkruse

Posted - 2009 December 21 :  03:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit dkruse's Homepage
Jeff,

My experience with resistor wheelsets is that to get full proof detection the cars need weight. Cars are a lot lighter than locos and so are even more prone to problems with contact between wheel and rail. It is very common that they will be detected while rolling, but then go undetected when stopped. Adding weight usually stopped the problem for me.

Daryl

http://genevasub.blogspot.com

http://home.comcast.net/~dpkruse

4x2dsp

Posted - 2009 December 21 :  09:41:32 AM  Show Profile
Daryl
How much weight were you putting in the cabs? Are you detecting all your rolling stock? I think with lots of cars in a train, it will show up well, but hoping that the OS sections aren't too short to give 100% feedback (at 2 1/2 cars)...

JB
I was holding back on power consumption due to reaching near max already. I might have to upgrade to an additional power booster sooner than planned just for the detection....
I am using two 10K on this caboose that gave me trouble, but was experimenting to find what worked by using other values earlier. I am going to put two wheels on all cars eventually, but 5k could be a possibility to get the detection I want. Digitrax recommends 10k in their manual for the BDL168, but looking for feedback from others what is working for them...

Jeff

visit my Layout pics
and my Espee Oregon Division Blog

dkruse

Posted - 2009 December 21 :  11:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit dkruse's Homepage
Jim,

I'm not really sure exactly how much I added. I just kept adding until they were detected consistently. My plan, eventually, is to make sure the EOT cars are weighted with two resistor axle and then have one resistor axle on all the other rolling stock. I'm using 10K surface mount resistors. With over 300 cars and just one 4 amp booster, I do not want to over do it.

Daryl

http://genevasub.blogspot.com

http://home.comcast.net/~dpkruse

4x2dsp

Posted - 2010 January 08 :  11:18:51 PM  Show Profile
So now I have completed over 200 wheels with SMD resistors. Everything was fine until I decided to paint them all black.... Maybe I made a mistake using Floquil with it's oil base, but 10-20% of them lost their resistance values, and now I have to redo those. Next time I will try water-base to see if that is what caused the change. Any of you guys come across this? I remember building a cubicle quad RR antenna that worked great... until I painted it black... Used to be one of my favorite colors...

Jeff

visit my Layout pics
and my Espee Oregon Division Blog

nkalanaga

Posted - 2010 January 09 :  12:58:26 AM  Show Profile
If you used resistance paint anywhere in the circuit the Floquil probably disolved it. Water base paints should work.

N. Kalanaga
Be well.

peteski

Posted - 2010 January 09 :  05:13:58 AM  Show Profile
I know it is a silly question but I have to ask: Did you clean the paint off the wheel threads?

Peteski

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Loco wheel wobble Topic Next Topic: Z6 NP 4 6 6 4 handrails  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000