Atlas Model Railroad Co. - PS 5277 Question
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 84 ]  [ Newest Member: vivianod1 ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 PS 5277 Question
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: MV lenses Topic Next Topic: The Friendship Train & Model Railroading  

CN 3577

Posted - 2009 November 26 :  11:15:00 AM  Show Profile
I am looking at picking up a PS 5277 boxcar in the Railbox scheme and modifying it for CN pulp service, I see both Athearn and Intermountain offer a 5277 boxcar. I don't have access to either model at the moment so I am wondering if they are based on the same prototype and what the detail and paint quality is like on the two cars. Anybody have any opinions?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew C.

drolsen

Posted - 2009 November 26 :  11:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit drolsen's Homepage
Andrew - The Athearn model is decent, but it's a revised version of the 20+ year old MDC model with upgrade details such as separate ladders and grab irons. It's a good model for the price, but the body is a little wide and it lacks most of the underbody details of the prototype.

The Intermountain PS 5277 is, in my opinion, one of the nicest box car models available. It has beautiful, thin separate detail parts and nice wire brake piping and rods (as opposed to plastic rods like many current models). The underframe is very impressive and includes more details than just about any box car model out there. The only minor issue is that many of the car were assembled with the brake cylinder turned around backwards (the cone-shaped end points towards the air pipe instead of towards the brake lever / brake wheel). The Intermountain model is about twice the price of the Athearn model.

It's really a question of money - I think the Intermountain model has double the detail of the Athearn model and is worth twice the price. But it's up to you if you want to spend the money.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Railfanning and Modeling the CSX Old Main Line in the 1990s
http://drolsen.rrpicturearchives.net/

chessievafan

Posted - 2009 November 26 :  11:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit chessievafan's Homepage
Andrew,

I have to agree with Dave, the Intermountain car is well worth the extra money over the Athearn model.

Bryan Williams
Modeling the Chessie System - C&O Mountain Subdivision Aug 1984. www.trainweb.org/chessievalayout

CN 3577

Posted - 2009 November 26 :  11:59:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks guys, that is exactly the information I was looking for. I don't mind paying the extra for a better detailed car so I will probably be looking for the Intermountain model.

Andrew

drolsen

Posted - 2009 November 27 :  12:52:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit drolsen's Homepage
Andrew - Just remembered I had taken some photos of an Intermountain Railbox PS 5277 a few months ago for a discussion on another list. Here's a picture of the underbody (sorry it's a little fuzzy):

I love the Intermountain detail - there really isn't anything that needs to be done to their cars other than some weathering (although I plan to put Sergent couplers on mine).

Dave

Railfanning and Modeling the CSX Old Main Line in the 1990s
http://drolsen.rrpicturearchives.net/

CN 3577

Posted - 2009 November 27 :  01:21:19 AM  Show Profile
Very nice detail. I plan on installing 12' plug doors and vents in sides then painting the new parts brown. Restenciling to CNA and some weathering and I hope to have a slightly beat up former RBOX car to put into pulp service.

Andrew

el3637

Posted - 2009 November 27 :  03:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by drolsen
I love the Intermountain detail - there really isn't anything that needs to be done to their cars other than some weathering (although I plan to put Sergent couplers on mine).

What is the time frame of these cars, when did they first go into service? ISTR looking at the IM cars and decided they were too new for my mid-1970s modeling period. They are nice though.

Andy

sw1000b

Posted - 2009 November 27 :  1:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Andrew,
When building your car, the Intermountain door will come off. If you pry the door on the sides starting at the bottom and working up, the door will should pop off. There are two pins near the top of the door that are glued. I taken a few doors off and only broke 1 near the corner where there was some glue that had seeped there.
I scratchbuilt my door, but I believe the Roundhouse boxcar will work, but you have to cut it off. I believe the door has to be 12' wide if I remember right.

Butch Eyler
[/img]

CN 3577

Posted - 2009 November 28 :  03:40:57 AM  Show Profile
Butch, thanks for the tips. That is exactly the type of car I am planning on building. I am not sure if I will scratchbuild the doors or track down an old MDC car.

Andy, an article I found says these cars were delivered to Railbox between 1978 and 1981.

Andrew C.

Tony Long

Posted - 2009 November 28 :  10:35:53 AM  Show Profile
The Intermountain model is superior over the Athearn/MDC, but I'm still gathering the revised Athearn cars when I can find for $10-12 or less.

If you want to improve the Athearn model you replace the existing with their PS 5344 under frame.

Here's how -

Take a Athearn PS 5344 under frame piece and remove the two weight tabs on the floor side so you can lay it flat.

Using a hack saw blade cut the under frame along each bloster on the inside edge. The difference in length is equal to two standard hack saw blade thicknesses.

After make your cuts and have three pieces, clean up your cuts with a file and ensure you have straight cuts.

Using a clean surface and available metal ruler, MEK the pieces back together and lay flat and align with edge of a ruler of something to ensure you have it all straight and even.

Let the piece cure for 24 hours before you start handling it to ensure it hardens well.

Then complete the detailing of the under frame using whatever available tanks, valves, cylinders you have and form the piping, brake rods and hangers with brass wire.

On the current Athearn 5277 you can retain the weight and three brake detail pieces for this project.

The under frame may not be an exact match and is not as detailed as the Intermountain, but it's a big improved from the MDC.

The 5344 under frame will also fit (uncut) on the Athearn/MDC FMC box cars too. But, a better subsitute would be the Athearn 5347 FMC under frame piece.

Anyway - something to try out.

Tony

Edited by - Tony Long on 2009 November 30 09:14:40 AM

steam4122

Posted - 2009 November 29 :  7:06:22 PM  Show Profile
The rib width and spacing on the Intermountain model appears to be more correct. Athearn's improved version of that older MDC car just does not look right--particularly the width and spacing of the ribs where the grabs attach.

However, sometimes Intermountain's fit and finish leaves something to be desired--i.e. flash that gets painted over instead of removed.

Fred Moehrle

Posted - 2009 November 30 :  09:53:34 AM  Show Profile
Also, Intermountain sells undecorated kits.

Modern loco's!?! We don't need no modern Loco's.
We need Alco's!

jack mougin

Posted - 2009 November 30 :  10:04:19 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by steam4122

The rib width and spacing on the Intermountain model appears to be more correct. Athearn's improved version of that older MDC car just does not look right--particularly the width and spacing of the ribs where the grabs attach.

However, sometimes Intermountain's fit and finish leaves something to be desired--i.e. flash that gets painted over instead of removed.

I have been critical of IM's assembly in the past, but the latest runs I have had a chance to look at have been vastly improved. The latest run of the 5277's is outstanding. The Railbox versions are sharply done, the paint color is more accurate and assembly boo-boo's non-existant.

d_stark

Posted - 2009 November 30 :  2:37:22 PM  Show Profile
Generally yes, however the 5277 was not among them until recently and the release date has now been pushed back from Oct/Nov. to April 2010.

There may have been a limited number of 5277 kits released earlier as one individual on the MFCL reported having some. I don't believe they were publicly announced, or cataloged on the IM website until this year. Otherwise, the 5277 and FMC 5283 were only available undecorated and assembled, the 19,600 gallon syrup car painted (black) and assembled, and the Maxi-IV car has not been available other than decorated RTR.

Still, availability of kits from IM surpasses many others and I will patiently wait for the 5277s and 5283s.

Doug Stark

quote:
Originally posted by Fred Moehrle

Also, Intermountain sells undecorated kits.

Previous Topic: MV lenses Topic Next Topic: The Friendship Train & Model Railroading  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000