Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Amtrak GE P30CH locomotives
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 39 ]  [ Total: 39 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Amtrak GE P30CH locomotives
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Scenery help Topic Next Topic: Trainman vs. Atlas
Page: of 2

mrBrian1-160

Posted - 2009 October 18 :  07:23:22 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering about the GE P30CH and why it has been so rarely represented in either HO or N-scale. You would think it almost never existed but from what I have recently learned it seems like it was more significant to Amtrak's operations than I previously thought and was in service from Amtrak's early days until 1992. It is sad to hear none of them were preserved. I know it was considered an "ugly duckling" but "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I saw some pictures on Railpictures.net of a P30CH coupled to an F40PH and I never before realized how much larger the P30CH was. I think Minitrix made a model of the GE U30CG (incorrectly painted for Amtrak) but I did not think they made a P30CH. A better quality model of the GE U30CG in Santa Fe warbonnet scheme would also be great to see. There may of been only 6 prototype U30CG's but I found it interesting to know that the FP45's were not the only new passenger cowl units to be put in service on the Santa Fe after the F-units. I would think the P30CH had a long enough service life to appeal to at least phase 2 & 3 modelers. I found some previous discussion about this on the HO forum but couldn't find any here. Would there be any interest in an N-scale P30CH?

-Brian

Trevor D. CSX Crr fan

Posted - 2009 October 18 :  08:43:33 AM  Show Profile
I personally think that this would be a great item for Kato to do! It would definately be a good model for anyone that models RF&P, Family Lines, Seaboard System and CSX! Heck, if they wanted to they could do the "Amtrak Auto-Train" as a complete train, kinda like what they've done with all of the other ghosts of the past! I would also imagine that the POOCHs would have a great amount of pulling power if done.

Trevor D.

CBQ Fan

Posted - 2009 October 18 :  09:08:31 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see Kato do one for the SC and El Cap. I am thinking they would sell a ton of them!

Brian

Way of the Zephyr

GP38-2freak

Posted - 2009 October 18 :  10:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Yeah...and because the POOCHes were built on the U30C frame they could...oh Lord, just imagine the possibilities...and then they could make a U34CH for the New Jersey area (Hey Cory, did you hear me^^)

Tim

fcnrwy

Posted - 2009 October 18 :  10:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit fcnrwy's Homepage
Well Kato kind'a did one several years ago. I helped a little.
The unit shown here was made to fit on a U30C chassis. A Kato U30C sill,handrail assembly was the start. Styrene stock was used for most of the body with other Kato parts for details. The roof is from a Kato Smooth-side passenger car. The roof and side grillework are from a U30C shell, as is the numberboards/headlight assembly. The pilot/steps are also from the same U30C and brass rod for the handrails and plastic ladder stock covers most of the ladder rungs.

This is about as far as I got before I shelved the project.
I sold it later.

Jerry G.

Edited by - fcnrwy on 2009 October 18 10:44:29 AM

fcnrwy

Posted - 2009 October 18 :  10:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit fcnrwy's Homepage
For those adventurous, this is the kitbashed shell before painting.

Gray= Kato parts/sections
White= Styrene stock(.040", .020" thick sheet)
Red= Kato numberboard/headlight

Jerry G.

geocan

Posted - 2009 October 18 :  2:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit geocan's Homepage
Since these were also used by the SP on the commuter lines there would be an additional market there.

Unfortunately Kato's apparent and reported minimum production quantities will generally preclude production of "marginal" items.

We have several customers that would buy all produced in multiples for the variety alone but convincing a manufacturer to produce this, the U25C, U28C, U30C, U33C, U36C/SF30C and many others has been so much like talking to brick walls that we've given up trying.

Wig-Wag, LLC
www.wig-wag-trains.com
505-298-7177
e-mail: wigwag@swcp.com
PLEASE no PMs

David Leonard

Posted - 2009 October 18 :  3:04:33 PM  Show Profile
NJT had some ex-AMT Pooches as well. Amtrak also operated them in various other parts of the country, e.g. on the Chicago-Carbondale trains operating on ICG. (Did Bachmann make a P30CH in N many years ago?)

Edited by - David Leonard on 2009 October 18 3:08:21 PM

CBQ Fan

Posted - 2009 October 18 :  6:22:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by geocan

Since these were also used by the SP on the commuter lines there would be an additional market there.

Unfortunately Kato's apparent and reported minimum production quantities will generally preclude production of "marginal" items.

We have several customers that would buy all produced in multiples for the variety alone but convincing a manufacturer to produce this, the U25C, U28C, U30C, U33C, U36C/SF30C and many others has been so much like talking to brick walls that we've given up trying.

Now if I am not mistaken Kato did the F-3 in CB&Q and that is a one off for the pilot. Not quite the same thing but I could just see unusual AT&SF power selling like nutz in Japan and the US as a result.

Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Charlie Vlk

Posted - 2009 October 18 :  6:29:45 PM  Show Profile
The Kato CZ CB&Q F3 is a common configuration, not a one off by any means. The "Passenger" (Enclosed) Pilot was specified by many roads for its protecting the uncoupling rods and, intitially, the coupler, from being damaged and hanging things up in grade grossing mishaps.
The GN, NYC, PRR, and others had Phase IIa F3As with similar features. There are well over 60 factory changes/options on units from F2 through F7... and that is not counting the F9 or FP7/9 units. There might be two roads that had units that match exactly but the odds are against it when you start figuring all the combinations of features that any one unit can have... and that only looks at Factory as-built condition, not later railroad modifications!!
Charlie Vlk

CBQ Fan

Posted - 2009 October 18 :  6:44:31 PM  Show Profile
Charlie, great info. I just remember somewhere on the forum that kato did something with the Q F-3's that they were not doing on the other road names they were producing. It gave hope of more specific body styles for each road name. Kinda like the new run of Pennsy E units and the more specific details on the SP PA's. Did I imagine the whole thing or is there some truth in what I recall?? WHile not clear I was referring to the model not the prototype.

Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Edited by - CBQ Fan on 2009 October 18 6:45:29 PM

turbineman

Posted - 2009 October 18 :  8:01:49 PM  Show Profile
I was always a fan of the GE P30CH. They had a very rugged look to them, and the round roof and squared off nose nose added to their looks. The usual GE prime mover with the Chug-a-lug...chug-a-lug sound was always a nice change from the EMD masses. I suppose there is a slight chance that Athearn or Atlas might do it in model form someday, but don't hold your breath on getting it from KATO. KATO never listens to the modelers when they tell them what they want, as least not the US market, they don't seem to have a clue what we want. Probably a P30CH in brass would be the only one available. I'm not sure if its been done before or not.

nkalanaga

Posted - 2009 October 19 :  12:08:14 AM  Show Profile
IF the U30C chassis was readily available the P30CH would be a natural for a resin shell.

N. Kalanaga
Be well.

Scaro

Posted - 2009 October 19 :  06:39:57 AM  Show Profile
Small points in its favour . . . it looks vaguely OK from certain angles, and it isn't ubiquitous, like the EMDs.

But looking at the larger picture, all the P30CH and GM's stumpy bricks of the 1970s said to me is that as passenger locomotive builders go, the US loco builders of that era were umm, great freight locomotive builders.

How hard can it have been to graft a nice looking prow onto a cowl body like this?

http://comrails.railpage.org.au/common/graphics/photos/cd_p0111056.jpg

Ben

AUS120 - TTb 51/4 - TT scale on broad gauge track and TT scale on N track

Hence all the weird questions about chassis . . . I crave your courtesy, your sympathy, your taste.

screeh

Posted - 2009 October 19 :  07:41:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Scaro

How hard can it have been to graft a nice looking prow onto a cowl body like this?

Ben

Ben, I'm surprised that you didn't choose a shot in Genessee & Wyoming family colours to make our northern hemisphere friends feel more at home

(here's one: http://comrails.railpage.org.au/common/cd_p1005484.html - and if you're wondering what the heck these are, look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CL_class)

Cheers,

Stu

jnevis

Posted - 2009 October 19 :  09:22:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by screeh

quote:
Originally posted by Scaro

Ben

Ben, I'm surprised that you didn't choose a shot in Genessee & Wyoming family colours to make our northern hemisphere friends feel more at home

(here's one: http://comrails.railpage.org.au/common/cd_p1005484.html - and if you're wondering what the heck these are, look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CL_class)

Cheers,

Stu

OK who's building one, or at least planning on it?

I can't model worth a darn, but can research like a SOB!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Scenery help Topic Next Topic: Trainman vs. Atlas  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000