Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Bragdon retaining wall molds etc
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 34 ]  [ Total: 34 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Bragdon retaining wall molds etc
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Are capacitors common on sound equipped locos? Topic Next Topic: E/F Unit Noses Compared  - Photos  

steve turner

Posted - 2009 October 10 :  1:54:02 PM  Show Profile
I ordered 5 of these molds HO to O scale indicated, unseen other than the site pictures. Any pointers on using them and how to color the plaster after.. I have been impressed with the Bragdon weathering powders so im thinking these molds maybe a good product. Thanks steve

Lance Mindheim

Posted - 2009 October 10 :  7:01:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by steve turner

As with all of their products Steve I found the Bragdon molds to be very good. My only experience is with the latex rock molds. I used their 'cast satin' resin product. The resin is very light and very strong. You coat the mold with a thin film of petroleum jelly, spray on lacquer spray paint as a release agent, and then do the pour. I found it to be so strong I did not need to fill the hollow void behind the casting. Do wear gloves though as that stuff itches like crazy if it gets on your skin.
Lance Mindheim

Visit Miami's Downtown Spur at www.lancemindheim.com

Nebrzephyr

Posted - 2009 October 11 :  10:00:07 AM  Show Profile
Steve...have used several of their rock retaining wall molds with plaster. very nice results.

Bob

steve turner

Posted - 2009 October 12 :  6:00:33 PM  Show Profile
Very nice coloring Bob.What was your formula? . These i believe are latex or rubber molds, any tips on keeping them flat ?.I guess for curved wall you can curve as desired?.Thanks Steve

Nebrzephyr

Posted - 2009 October 13 :  12:38:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by steve turner

Very nice coloring Bob.What was your formula? . These i believe are latex or rubber molds, any tips on keeping them flat ?.I guess for curved wall you can curve as desired?.Thanks Steve

Steve.....coloring...just various "craft" paints and a small brush.

Molds....depends on what size you get. My experience is the weight of the plaster holds them flat (I didn't "cast in place").

Bob

rick marcroft

Posted - 2009 October 13 :  2:01:08 PM  Show Profile
the bragdon people sell and highly recommend using pigment powders, which are made into thin washes. They avoid using acrylics because those craft paints have some white in them as a base. To me, a thinned craft paint produces a suitable wash, but bragdon insists this does not produce the "translucent" quality of washes made with pigments.

just tossing that out there

Previous Topic: Are capacitors common on sound equipped locos? Topic Next Topic: E/F Unit Noses Compared  - Photos  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000