Atlas Model Railroad Co. - CN Colors
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 38 ]  [ Total: 38 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 CN Colors
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The new Exactrail gons are...... Topic Next Topic: P2K axel issues  

Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Posted - 2009 September 22 :  7:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bob Rupp-Kilgore's Homepage
I hate to ask this question (being a Wisconsin Central sorta guy), but...

What are good choices for the red and black on Canadian National EMD SD70? You'd think that kinda info would be readily available on-line, but so far Google has let me down.

www.oldmuleysroundhouse.com

steve turner

Posted - 2009 September 22 :  7:32:22 PM  Show Profile
Try this page from central hobbies.......cn lines paint colors provided by cn users group.
http://www.central-hobbies.com/products/cnsig.html#P

Mark R.

Posted - 2009 September 22 :  10:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark R.'s Homepage
I've used a few of the CN SIG lines paints .... nice stuff. The colors are dead-on and it really goes down nice. Made by Scalecoat, they dry to a nice glossy finish perfect for decalling.

Mark.

CN 3577

Posted - 2009 September 22 :  11:35:02 PM  Show Profile
I used to use AccuPaint for all my CN stuff, AP-18 CN Red-Orange for the red and AP-2 Stencil Black for the black. On my last two CN locos I used the new TrueLine Trains paints, 010019 CN Red #12 and 010016 Warm Black. I was quite happy with the results, the colors seem very close to the AccuPaint. The TLT paint is made by Polly Scale but is a bit thinner, good for airbrushing but not as good as Polly Scale for brush painting. I am not sure of the availability of the TLT paint in your area, it is definitely focused on the Canadian market. I bought mine at Maritime Hobbies and Crafts in Halifax NS.

Hope this helps,

Andrew C

Mark R.

Posted - 2009 September 23 :  12:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark R.'s Homepage
Is the TLT paint water or chemical based ?

Mark.

CN 3577

Posted - 2009 September 23 :  05:37:05 AM  Show Profile
TLT paint is water based. Lots of accurate colors for anyone modelling Canadian railroads. Their website has a chart showing all the colors.

If you are a Testors fan I just remembered hearing about some local modellers using a Model Master color for the CN red, I believe it was Chevy Engine red.

Andrew C

graftonterminalrr

Posted - 2009 September 23 :  09:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit graftonterminalrr's Homepage
Vallejo red-orange is a dead ringer for CN orange.

ModelMaster Chevy Engine Red is correct for the red used on CN cabooses.

Owner/Operator of the Grafton Terminal Railway, set in the 1978-1984 period

Edited by - graftonterminalrr on 2009 September 23 09:11:06 AM

Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Posted - 2009 November 28 :  11:39:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bob Rupp-Kilgore's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CN 3577

I used to use AccuPaint for all my CN stuff, AP-18 CN Red-Orange for the red and AP-2 Stencil Black for the black. On my last two CN locos I used the new TrueLine Trains paints, 010019 CN Red #12 and 010016 Warm Black.

Here's my dilemma:

My LHS tried to order TrueLine Trains paint, but was only able to get a handful of colors, none of which were what I need. I bought a bottle of the "010019 CN Red #12" but this color looks very maroon to me- more of a boxcar red/brown. I think what I need is 010017 Red/Orange #11. Accupaint and TLT paints appear unavailable from Walthers at this time, and I've had trouble finding a Canadian supplier who will ship TLT paint to the US.

So right now my best/last shot is Vallejo paints from the local "gamers" store. Can this paint be airbrushed without too much difficulty? I've never used it myself.

steve turner

Posted - 2009 November 28 :  1:20:53 PM  Show Profile
Bob! try this company your side http://www.desplaineshobbies.com/store/department/35/Paint-Supplies-Airbrushes/ Tried 3 stores in Canada they wont even mail to Canadians unless you want to pay courier haz material upcharge.Any guy that talks his model supplier into shipping otherwise is playing with fire if something happens or goes weird.Steve

Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Posted - 2009 December 08 :  10:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bob Rupp-Kilgore's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by graftonterminalrr

Vallejo red-orange is a dead ringer for CN orange.

I ended up ordering some of this Vallejo paint, and yes, the color looks good. Any tips on how to airbrush with it? It seems kinda thick.

Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Posted - 2009 December 20 :  7:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bob Rupp-Kilgore's Homepage
Well, you can't paint Polly Scale over Vallejo paint. After an entire afternoon of taping off and masking, my black immediately started peeling and lifting off of all the parts that had previously been painted orange. I guess it's back into the rinse to strip and start over...

graftonterminalrr

Posted - 2009 December 21 :  09:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit graftonterminalrr's Homepage
Didn't know that; but then again I use acrylics wherever possible. Last CN engine I painted, I used Vallejo red-orange for the cab and then used thinned Ceramcoat black over it with no ill effects.

Owner/Operator of the Grafton Terminal Railway, set in the 1978-1984 period

Bob Rupp-Kilgore

Posted - 2010 January 07 :  2:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bob Rupp-Kilgore's Homepage
THIS PROJECT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!! I stripped my engine and re-painted the black (Polyscale). When it came time to put down the Vallejo orange, something went seriously wrong. Instead of going on nice and smooth (like it did the first time), it came out thicker and "dried" to a gummy finish. When I pulled off the masking tape, the Vallejo orange peeled right off- it was like I'd sprayed a layer of gum on the model!

I seriously didn't think that a straightforward CN scheme would give me this much trouble! Too bad that the Norfolk Southern never had an SD70i, that would have been an easy one to paint!

I'm gonna give this one more shot- maybe uber-mask everything and let the paint cure for a month between coats.

beenthereCNthat

Posted - 2010 January 08 :  3:07:55 PM  Show Profile
If the problem is from different brands of paint, use Polyscale GTW orange for the CN red-orange. That is the brand and colour I use and it matches a CN paint chip as close as is possible. It is somewhat transluscent so what I do is paint the cab and hood end with a thin coat of white first, then paint the red-orange, then mask and do the black last.

extra 2436 out.

Previous Topic: The new Exactrail gons are...... Topic Next Topic: P2K axel issues  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000