Atlas Model Railroad Co. - CSX K340 Coke Cars
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 35 ]  [ Total: 35 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 CSX K340 Coke Cars
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Stewart F7, part II, responses to input Topic Next Topic: SD70ACe roads  

Acela82

Posted - 2009 August 17 :  08:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Acela82's Homepage
Has anyone ever built a CSX K340 coke express car? Which "normal" hopper could be used as base?

Thanks

Americas Resourceful Railroad
---------------------------------
www.modelrailroadworks.de

NSGevo7500

Posted - 2009 August 17 :  6:39:08 PM  Show Profile
A Bowser car should work, or at least be close enough. If they are 4 bay's like NS's "High Top"'s then there is nothing available even for a base car.

NSGevo7500

midwestrailroader

Posted - 2009 August 17 :  7:59:36 PM  Show Profile
I built one in Nscale using the Atlas 90 Ton as a start ..

Salt

toml

Posted - 2009 August 18 :  12:29:08 PM  Show Profile
A string of COKE EXPRESS hopper cars would be nice to have ! I would try looking at the Walthers wood chip hopper , maybe that car could be reworked into the COKE EXPRESS car. Though I haven't tried it yet,that would be my first step.

I wish you luck with that , keep us posted.

Tom L.

NSGevo7500

Posted - 2009 August 18 :  2:34:12 PM  Show Profile
Tom;

The hoppers on the Walthers 7,000 cf Greenville hopper are different than those found on a coal or coke car, as far as size, shape and discharge angles.

NSGevo7500

toml

Posted - 2009 August 18 :  2:54:56 PM  Show Profile
AHHH , did not know that ,thanks for the info. NSGevo7500 , well ,is there acess to the blue prints / plans of such cars? does one have such data like this? or like the Bowser coal car mentioned earlier , an extension top can possibly be made and added onto the car, but probably not without much material removal / filing / sanding etc. Plans showing the dimensions would be great. Also were there decals made for this car? if not,getting the font and correct lettering / number heights would be helpful too.

Tom L.

hotmetal train

Posted - 2009 August 18 :  8:50:27 PM  Show Profile
I made up about30 coke express cars BUT i used the coke cars from the walthers steel mill series.
First I want to say I KNOW thatis not the correct car for the "coke express" but in a limited space that I'm using for my steel mill complex I really needed selective compression. this fit the bill for me. And decaling up 30 coke express cars and seeing them all lined up waiting to make the crossover into the mill, well it works for me.So thats how i make my coke express train

good luck with your endevor
Jeff

CSX3305

Posted - 2009 August 18 :  11:12:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NSGevo7500

Tom;

The hoppers on the Walthers 7,000 cf Greenville hopper are different than those found on a coal or coke car, as far as size, shape and discharge angles.

NSGevo7500

Unless you're modeling the ones CSX has been making in the last couple of years by cutting length out of the old ex-Family Lines Greenville 7000's...

Top Five prototypes I'd like to have in HO scale:
1. GP40-2 phase 2c with and without nose headlight, preferably in Master or Genesis format
2. Pullman 3000 cu ft. 2-bay 100-ton cement hopper (Family Lines, CSX,SOU,NS) (Come on, Blaine!! You can do it!)
3. Raceland-built 52'6" Chessie gons
4. Late-phase GP40 in Chessie in Master or Genesis format
5. U36B and/or U33B, preferably in Master format

"I'd rather have razor blades shoved under my fingernails than see one more thread about the economics and marketplace theory of model railroading."

http://csxchickamauga.blogspot.com

Previous Topic: Stewart F7, part II, responses to input Topic Next Topic: SD70ACe roads  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000