Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Raintree Products Int'l?
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 28 ]  [ Total: 28 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Raintree Products Int'l?
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: N Scale Kits - UK Topic Next Topic: Full Pilot/Knuckle Coupler Kits for Diesels
Page: of 2

Spookshow

Posted - 2009 April 09 :  7:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Spookshow's Homepage
Cripes, it never ends. These "Raintree" kit cars are listed in the 1997 Walthers catalog -

40' Radio Control Car
PS2 Covered Hopper
65' Mill Gondola
70' Standard Stock Car
Mount Vernon Flat Car

Got 'em? Ever heard of 'em? Know anything about 'em? Can I just pretend they never existed?!

Thanks,
-Mark

Dear Atlas - Please Make More DME/ICE Models!

jmlaboda

Posted - 2009 April 09 :  8:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit jmlaboda's Homepage
The "40' Radio Controll Car" was a Southern Railway model based on their RC cars. Was fairly nice.

The 70' Standard Stock Car and Mount Vernon Flat I think were circus models... but can't be sure because that was a long, L-O-N-G time ago.

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index 10SEPT2011 HUGE UPDATE!!! 7923 NEW LINKS ADDED!!!
Southern Railway Historical & Modeling Resources FINALLY updated 2 JANUARY 2012!!!
Appreciate Freedom? Thank a Veteran!!!

leighant

Posted - 2009 April 09 :  8:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit leighant's Homepage
I have a 65' N-scale gondola built from a kit sold under the name Red Ball. Don';t know if it might be the same. The catalog # of the Red Ball kit was #4731. If the "Raintree" kit had the same cat. number, they might be the same... But I don't know.

Santa Vaca & Santa Fe Rwy. Holy Cow!

Spookshow

Posted - 2009 April 09 :  9:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Spookshow's Homepage
Yes, the Stock Car and Mt Vernon Flat Car are listed as being "circus cars".

The Walthers catalog number on the mill gondola is 705-214.

FWIW, "Red Ball" was associated with the Wabash Valley kit cars of the 70s and 80's. Not sure if these Raintree cars have anything to do with those. For starters, these cars are plastic.

-Mark

wazzou

Posted - 2009 April 10 :  12:10:05 AM  Show Profile
I have a pair of the Raintree 65' Gondolas, one painted NP, the other still undec but awaiting the same paint and decals.

Regards,
Bryan

Alwyn Cutmore

Posted - 2009 April 10 :  08:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Alwyn Cutmore's Homepage
Hi Mark,

I have three of the undes 65ft Mill Gons somewhere in my booty and have searched for them. They will raise their heads again soon. They are a pretty darn good Con-Cor Bash but without the metal underframe.

Regards

Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Sharknose Freak
Australia

Charlie Vlk

Posted - 2009 April 10 :  11:04:22 AM  Show Profile
Alwyn is correct. The master for the 65 FT Mill Gondola was a Con-Cor Gondola kitbash... done well.
The Red Ball kit is a pot metal original and also makes up into a decent car.
However, with the recent Athearn and the new Eastern Seaboard Models PRR car, we have RTR mill gons that are pretty nice (if Athearn could just get the factory to use a spray gun on the excellent diecast metal body instead of dip painting them!!!).
Charlie Vlk

ai5629

Posted - 2009 April 10 :  11:43:41 AM  Show Profile
With a little work, the Raintree gondola can be used to represent a Lehigh Valley 65' mill gondola. The LV had 18 panel gons that are a really good match for this car. You can also use it for modeling a Conrail repaint, class GL61B if I remember correctly. The biggest issue with this model is you need to add more grab irons to the rights side of the car. It comes with one, while the prototype had four. I did a couple of Conrail cars 10 years ago, but I used ladders rather than grabs since no good grabs were available at the time. Thanks.

Spookshow

Posted - 2009 April 11 :  08:12:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Spookshow's Homepage
What's a radio control car?

Thanks,
-Mark

David Leonard

Posted - 2009 April 11 :  08:58:34 AM  Show Profile
A radio control car was used by the Southern and later NS for remote control of mid-train power. The midtrain power itself did not have to be especially equipped, as it ran from MU signals from the control car.

Spookshow

Posted - 2009 April 11 :  09:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Spookshow's Homepage
Thanks, Dave. Very interesting. Any idea when these were introduced (the prototype, not the model)?

-Mark

davefoxx

Posted - 2009 April 11 :  09:45:57 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Spookshow

Any idea when these were introduced (the prototype, not the model)?

Mark,

I'm not certain, but I would guess that the Southern Ry. radio control cars are at least out of the late '60s or early '70s, because they obviously predate the early 1980s formation of NS, as evidenced in the picture in the previous post.

An interesting aside is that, during a day of railfanning at Saluda, NC in April 1994, we made a side trip and were able to tour the former Southern Railway's roundhouse and engine facility in Asheville, NC. I was able to walk through a radio control car, and the one thing that stands out in my mind is the poured concrete floor. That, however, makes sense if you think about it, because I'm sure the extra weight helped the car track better when sandwiched between thousands of horsepower and thousand of tons of coal.

Dave Foxx

wendell

Posted - 2009 April 11 :  4:50:24 PM  Show Profile
What is a radio control car? Wendell

wendell camp

Southernman

Posted - 2009 April 11 :  10:51:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Spookshow

Thanks, Dave. Very interesting. Any idea when these were introduced (the prototype, not the model)?

-Mark

Mark, I don't have any info on the radio car pictured above but I'd bet(based on info I do have)that it was produced in late '66 or early '67 by Berwick Foundry.

The above photograph was probably taken after 1970-71 when these cars were renumbered to six digit numbers.

Look Ahead Look South

jmlaboda

Posted - 2009 April 12 :  06:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmlaboda's Homepage
>Any idea when these were introduced (the prototype, not the model)?

1965. The EMD SD35s were the first NEW engines to be control units while two Live Oak Perry & Gulf EMD GP9s were also equipped to control the cars. The RC cars themselves were built by Pacific Car & Foundry.

Southern made similar cars out of FM H15-44 and H16-44 engines and some EMD FTB units but the FM cars, for some reason, simply would go wild, causing derailments or emergency air brake applications and were soon taken out of service, to be rebuilt into yard slugs. The FTB units were the only ones to carry locomotive colors.

Its worth noting, while on the subject of RC cars, that Santa Fe and Louisville & Nashville also converted EMD F B-units to RC cars, the reasoning behind it being that with one any m.u. equipped unit could be used with them... including F-units.

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index 10SEPT2011 HUGE UPDATE!!! 7923 NEW LINKS ADDED!!!
Southern Railway Historical & Modeling Resources FINALLY updated 2 JANUARY 2012!!!
Appreciate Freedom? Thank a Veteran!!!

hegstad1

Posted - 2009 April 12 :  06:55:20 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jmlaboda

Its worth noting, while on the subject of RC cars, that Santa Fe and Louisville & Nashville also converted EMD F B-units to RC cars, the reasoning behind it being that with one any m.u. equipped unit could be used with them... including F-units.

Northern Pacific too!

Andrew Hegstad

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/4463

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: N Scale Kits - UK Topic Next Topic: Full Pilot/Knuckle Coupler Kits for Diesels  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000