Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Glue for styrene/foam
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: vivianod1 ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Glue for styrene/foam
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Been thinking...are Trains male or female? Topic Next Topic: Freight Car Nomenclature?  

harrym

Posted - 2009 April 06 :  2:55:08 PM  Show Profile
I want to attach a styrene [Plastruct sheet] to foam [track incline]. What glue should I use to prevent melting either the foam or the styrene? I usually use yellow wood glue to fasten the foam, but I'm not sure it would hold the styrene.

jrwirt

Posted - 2009 April 06 :  3:01:55 PM  Show Profile
You might try low temperature hot glue. I have used it to join extruded polystyrene foam with no melting. It holds well, sets fast, and doesn't burn as bad when you stick your fingers in it. You can get the glue and dual temperature glue guns at most hardware stores for a resonable price.

Jim Wirt
San Diego, CA

Edited by - jrwirt on 2009 April 06 3:02:47 PM

OzarkRR

Posted - 2009 April 06 :  3:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Hold the Foam is a great glue which will attach foam to any surface. It comes in a blue tube and is available at Hobby lobby and Michaels craft stores.

Warren Brown

davefoxx

Posted - 2009 April 06 :  6:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Yellow glue will work fine. That's how I glue my cork roadbed to the foam and my track to the roadbed. I have also used yellow glue to glue structures to the scenery base. I use push pins as clamps to hold whatever I'm gluing in place until the glue "grabs," which is only ten or fifteen minutes. It will also release with minimal or no damage to the foam.

Dave Foxx

dean

Posted - 2009 April 07 :  09:01:01 AM  Show Profile
You can also try Liquid Nails

dean

Santa Fe all the Way....Middle Division Emporia Sub Circa 1976 - 1986
Hoping someone someday will make a quality ACF 4600

gpicyk

Posted - 2009 April 07 :  4:32:03 PM  Show Profile
I believe that there are different formulas for Liquid Nails. There is one that states it is compatable with styrofoam. The other formula will attack styrofoam and melt it. George Picyk

George Picyk

Previous Topic: Been thinking...are Trains male or female? Topic Next Topic: Freight Car Nomenclature?  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000