Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Been thinking...are Trains male or female?
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: vivianod1 ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Been thinking...are Trains male or female?
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Sparkling Star Models?! Topic Next Topic: Glue for styrene/foam
Page: of 4

Orotina

Posted - 2009 April 03 :  8:42:50 PM  Show Profile
In Spanish trains is masculine.

Regards,

Rodolfo

Catenaries to the coasts

tomvitacco

Posted - 2009 April 03 :  8:58:37 PM  Show Profile
If it was up to me EVERYTHING would be 21 year old college girls... and yes, my wife is cool with that.

nkalanaga

Posted - 2009 April 03 :  9:15:37 PM  Show Profile
The Zephyr was named for a Greek god, Zephyrus, god of the west wind, so would be male.

I've always just called anything mechanical "it" and left it at that. Yes, I know, ships are traditionally female, but "it" works fine, and we lived in a desert anyway! Actually, since the 60s, the gender of some people is hard to determine, under the hair and clothing, so "it" works well for Hippies too.

N. Kalanaga
Be well.

OleSmokey

Posted - 2009 April 04 :  01:17:51 AM  Show Profile
Well, I never hit a woman with a 4X4 to see if they are that hard!!! Has to be a man thing or it!!!

Motorhome on wheels and time to roam. New layout in the tow trailer
http://picasaweb.google.com/oldtrains.martin011
Enjoy Freedom, Thank a Veteran!!

rails4raj

Posted - 2009 April 04 :  06:50:40 AM  Show Profile
Another thought I had regarding this is color and paint schemes. We have warbonnets and bloody noses, but we also see many soft colors, too. Again, undecided. Moreover, we get excited over the pleasing aesthetics and lines, even for work dirty trains. Coincidence? I think not.

I have made my preliminary conclusion that despite our shallow attempts to disguise the facts with masculine details, trains are in deed female. Otherwise we probably would not pamper them as we do. In fact I would mostly prefer to go along with the thought that they are the aforementioned 21 year old college girls.....

Rick

(A psychologist friend has read this thread -- he is not certain if I have a screw loose or if it is over-torqued with the head about to snap off. I will let you know when I figure it out -- but he is not a train guy.)

Rick Jackomis

davefoxx

Posted - 2009 April 04 :  07:37:39 AM  Show Profile
Did anyone try just taking a peek under the frame and seeing what's onboard?

jacobmarley

Posted - 2009 April 04 :  08:09:47 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm. I am trying desperately not to comment about all of the stereotyped comments about women and their behavior here. Having two daughters and a wife who would kick your train geek bums thoroughly for half of the commentary...

I think in western culture most positive, encompassing, protective or equipped environments, forces of nature or vehicles are thought of as female. Stereotypically mothers are thought of as nurturing and protective, fathers are thought of as brutish and workers. Women give life. I would hazard a guess that those involved with the vehicle or force would much rather they were female. A ship, a train, a storm, the earth... Throughout our history (western) the vehicles, nature and earth have primarily been considered female.

Or maybe we just miss our mommies.

Al

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~Albus Dumbledore

Edited by - jacobmarley on 2009 April 05 08:32:45 AM

Conrail_2

Posted - 2009 April 04 :  08:25:34 AM  Show Profile
My uncle worked for the PRR for over 60 years and going from what he said, steamers would be female. He used to say, "you have to stoke em and get em smoking".

Karl Schotter

Posted - 2009 April 04 :  10:46:22 AM  Show Profile
In german the gender is shown by the article:
der: masculine
die: feminine
das: neuter.

So there are
die Lok (the engine)
der Tender (...)
der Zug (the train)
der Wagen (the car/coach).

Regards
Karl

RDG-Anthracite

Posted - 2009 April 04 :  3:27:02 PM  Show Profile
well i'd prefer playing with a female over a male any day of the week, so my vote goes with "it's a she"...

Orotina

Posted - 2009 April 04 :  3:38:02 PM  Show Profile
Well,

In Spanish

Train tren masculine
Steamer vaporera femenine
Locomotive locomotora femenine
Railway ferrocarril masculine

Regards,

Rodolfo

Catenaries to the coasts

jacobmarley

Posted - 2009 April 05 :  08:42:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Schotter

In german the gender is shown by the article:
der: masculine
die: feminine
das: neuter.

So there are
die Lok (the engine)
der Tender (...)
der Zug (the train)
der Wagen (the car/coach).

Regards
Karl

Karl, you will have to help me with my German, because it has been roughly 30 years since I have studied it. And I wasn't very good back then. But isn't the "gender" of the article just the gender of the article, not the noun? For example, with even the word for girl Madchen, the article is das, the neutral. If the article truly represented the implied gender, then Madchen should be feminine. Forgive me, because none of my German teachers ever addressed this satisfactorily back then.

Al

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~Albus Dumbledore

Jim Noveroske

Posted - 2009 April 05 :  09:22:03 AM  Show Profile
Trains are androgynous!
Jim

3rdrail

Posted - 2009 April 05 :  1:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit 3rdrail's Homepage
And just exactly what is wrong with the word "it"? Trains are inanimate objects. Yes, some referred to steam locomotives as "she", but that was because engineers had an imperfect understanding of why they behave like they do, like men do of women.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Gregg.Mahlkov/

Edited by - 3rdrail on 2009 April 05 1:02:18 PM

SkipFranandFun

Posted - 2009 April 05 :  1:59:17 PM  Show Profile
Trains are male. They were created in an age when women weren't outwardly powerful. We were under wraps. Just the "chug chug" motion has a very sexual connotation--and it isn't feminine.

I am female. I remember puffer bellies coming past my childhood abode. They were big boys. (russian decapods).

Trains are male.

From a lady! (Not everything has to be co-ed.)

Fanny There is NO queen or princess emoticons...what's this all about!?!

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Sparkling Star Models?! Topic Next Topic: Glue for styrene/foam  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000