Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Atlas vs Bachmann H16-44
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Atlas vs Bachmann H16-44
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Railfanning in Decatur, IL at Wabash Depot Topic Next Topic: Atlas SD-50  question  

Bill Hebb

Posted - 2009 February 06 :  7:18:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi:
Now that both the Atlas and Bachmann H16-44s have been out for a while and people have had time to run them in and see how they are over the long haul, I would appreciate opinions and perhaps a comparison. I have read most of the old reviews of both units when they first came out and wonder how well they have aged?

I model the B&O during the transistion era. The Atlas body style only fits about four that the B&O had, none that were in use in the area of the B&O that I model. The Bachmann body is more appropriate for the vast majority of B&O units.

I seemed to have the impression that the Atlas units were better runners, maybe I need to put the Bachmann body on an Atlas frame. I also know a firm in Canada, Kaslo (http://www.kasloshops.com/nscaleproducts.htm) sells a pricey ($75) B&O correct H16-44 body for an Atlas GP9 frame, but that body alone costs as much as a whole Atlas or Bachmann engine.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks,

Bill

Puddington

Posted - 2009 February 06 :  7:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Puddington's Homepage
The Bachmann is closer to Canadian prorotypes but not perfect; I have the Kaslo shell and I have been slowly working with it - I took the GP frame and the Atlas H 16-44 trucks, put them together and will use that with the Kaslo shell.... when I get the jam to do handrails...

It's 1973 in my world so please don't mind the Geeps; Trainmasters and C Liners.....

NandW

Posted - 2009 February 06 :  10:28:33 PM  Show Profile
The Atlas model represents early (phase 1 & 2) versions while Bachmann's represents a late model (phase 3).

The differences in the carbody on the prototype (and the model) between the early and late production is significant.

http://users.inna.net/~jaydeet/h-1516-44.htm

Mark

skipgear

Posted - 2009 February 06 :  10:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Bill,
I like my Bachmann although it hasn't seem much service yet. We did run one on the display layout at the shop I work at and it lasted about 3 months straight, 10 hours a day 7 days a week before the motor finally gave up.

The only real complaint on the Bachmann is couplers and there is a fairly easy fix for that.....

Glue in two .040" thick pieces of styrene as shown then use the hole to screw in an MT 2004.

The only problem with the Bachmann may be the road number, they missed it by one as far as I can tell. The H16-44's ended at #927. I can't find reference to #928 anywhere.

Tony H

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/ppuser/4676/cat/500

Edited by - skipgear on 2009 February 06 10:38:45 PM

Bill Hebb

Posted - 2009 February 06 :  10:52:49 PM  Show Profile
Tony:
Do you think the Atlas is closer to the two B&O that were that body early style, or is the Bachmann closer to the B&O with the Bachmann late body style? Also heard the Bachmanns were a tad noisy.

Thanks,
Bill

skipgear

Posted - 2009 February 07 :  12:11:41 AM  Show Profile
Bill,
Besides the various fallen flags photo sites on the net, my best reference photo for B&O H16-44's is on the back of the Nov-Dec 86' Sentinel. I picked it up at a train show for a story on Wagontop cabooses and lo and behold it has a great shot of 9737, 9743, and 9741 triple headed pulling out of Mt. Clare yard in 1970. The Bachmann is a dead ringer for these loco's.

According to the roster on the NE Rails:
9737 was originally 925, built in 1955
9743 was originally 6709, built in 1957
9741 was originally 6707, built in 1957

The only early phase loco's I can find reference too are #6700 and #6701, originally #906 and #907. The Atlas loco would be appropriate for these two built in 1952.

I haven't really gone too deep into detaling the Bachmann yet. I did add some stacks as the exhaust in the model is just two holes. I found some thin wall brass tubing that was the right size and fit it in the stack holes. The other thing that needs to be done is change the horns but I haven't done that yet.

Tony H

wm3798

Posted - 2009 February 07 :  12:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit wm3798's Homepage
I got the Bachmann one mostly as a lab experiment. I was interested to see what they did with the drive. I addressed the B&O number by repainting it.

Overall, not a bad looking engine, although the detailing is a bit coarser than the Atlas version. It ran well, but I believe a flaw in the motor caused to to die an early death. It kept shorting out and eating decoders, so I retired it. Its shell recently found new life, though...

it rides on a VO-1000 frame as an unpowered pick-up sled modeled as a WM slug.

Lee

Mill Street Studios - Custom N Scale Offerings.

www.wmrywesternlines.net

fordhamroad

Posted - 2009 February 07 :  3:18:13 PM  Show Profile
-didn't we discuss a while ago (lost the reference) putting the Bachmann H-16 44 body on the Atlas chassis? Anyone here who adapted it?

Roger

Bill Hebb

Posted - 2009 February 08 :  4:16:39 PM  Show Profile
Roger:
It looks like the best shot for a B&O modeler is to use the Bachmann body on the Atlas frame. Do you remember if it was much of an issue? It seems like the few responses about the Bachmann indicate the motor goes south after a while...

Thanks,
Bill

NandW

Posted - 2009 February 08 :  5:28:48 PM  Show Profile
Mine runs fine with a modern power pack (MRC Tech 4) but with my MRC Throttlepak 500N it's a viable NHRA contender.

I have not run it much as my layout is "under construction" but I've not heard of many motors dying.

In Skip's example above "it lasted about 3 months straight, 10 hours a day 7 days a week before the motor finally gave up." is probably more than most n scalers run any loco in the course of many years!

So why not just buy one, and if later the chassis goes south, plan B could be to use the Atlas chassis?

Here's mine, next to an Atlas Trainmaster:

Mark

skipgear

Posted - 2009 February 08 :  5:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Bill,
The one I ran as a tourture test at the shop ran for roughly 900 hours on a track with 6.5" radius turns. I don't consider that really horrible although I have had a Bachmann 0-6-0 make it close to 3000 hours on the same track before the side rods fell off. If it dies prematurely, pull the shell, send the frame back to bachmann and take advantage of their warranty. They will usually deal with considerations like repainting and detailing and let you keep your original shell.

Tony H

Previous Topic: Railfanning in Decatur, IL at Wabash Depot Topic Next Topic: Atlas SD-50  question  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000