Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Diaphragms!!!!!!
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 47 ]  [ Total: 47 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Diaphragms!!!!!!
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Would this work for MP steam Topic Next Topic: Cork Sheets?  

davidone

Posted - 2008 December 28 :  02:10:26 AM  Show Profile
Time for somebody to make a one piece rubber or composite diaphragm. I would buy dozens.

Dave

PARADISE275

Posted - 2008 December 28 :  10:02:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh Oh , this is going to be fun!!!

Dave Vollmer

Posted - 2008 December 28 :  11:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave Vollmer's Homepage
I wanted to, really... I almost did... but I don't want to be banned!

Visit the N Scale Juniata Division
http://www.thevollmerfamily.com/Pennsy/index.html

Rob de rebel

Posted - 2008 December 28 :  11:53:36 AM  Show Profile
I would ask my GF, they make great O scale tramplenes! oops wrong item? or yes someone makes them already!
RRRR

davidone

Posted - 2008 December 28 :  2:09:19 PM  Show Profile
You know when i posted this i thought of the same thing but then we are train guys so please back to the subject at hand or if you have a really good one please post it.

Dave

gunner

Posted - 2008 December 28 :  5:59:07 PM  Show Profile
Looking for O Scale traction tires???

Really though, I understand your need for the inter-car difrisms.

OWWWW!!!! I just got shot in the back with a champagne cork.

Bob

C855B

Posted - 2008 December 28 :  7:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit C855B's Homepage
This is something the enterprising modeler could DIY. Mold your own - make up a diaphram-shaped buck to paint layers of black (or gray/silver) latex over, then peel off, apply and done! If you were impatient with the multi-layer process, try the thick latex used to coat tool handle grips, or the paint-on "electrical tape".

Hmm. You've given me an idea here.

SkipFranandFun

Posted - 2008 December 28 :  7:27:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gunner

OWWWW!!!! I just got shot in the back with a champagne cork.

Bob

Gunner, Gunner, Gunner....LOL!

Seriously, should we really be concerned with TRAIN diaphragms in N Scale? I mean...can you see them from 2 feet...3 feet? And will operating N Scale diaphragms contribute to derailing if they become too stiff?

Where is the balance between proto accuracy and N Scale operation?

At some point, proto accuracy should not be attempted in modeling, due to scale.... Oops,.. did I just start a flame war? Sorry!

Skip

midwestrailroader

Posted - 2008 December 28 :  8:42:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
[
Seriously, should we really be concerned with TRAIN diaphragms in N Scale? I mean...can you see them from 2 feet...3 feet? And will operating N Scale diaphragms contribute to derailing if they become too stiff?

At some point, proto accuracy should not be attempted in modeling, due to scale.... Oops,.. did I just start a flame war? Sorry!

Skip

I won't flame you, but if the guy wants to make his trains, no matter how small, more realistic by adding operating diaphrams between cars, then why should you or I or anyone else discourage him?

Some people strive for realism beyond just watching the little train run around in circles. Just look at some of the modeling here on SNFF!

No matter what the scale, accuracy can always be improved. Look at the 2mm folks in UK. http://www.2mm.org.uk/layouts.htm They do some fantastic modeling that rivals anything I have seen in the US. Just this month, you swooned over the Reid's layout. Just how much detail should they apply? What makes their layout so good is their attention to detail.

Salt

SkipFranandFun

Posted - 2008 December 28 :  9:20:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by midwestrailroader

quote:
[

Skip

I won't flame you, but if the guy wants to make his trains, no matter how small, more realistic by adding operating diaphrams between cars, then why should you or I or anyone else discourage him?

You are absolutely right!

More power to anyone who wants and can see operating diaphragms in N Scale (that won't contribute to derailing).
I should have said,... it's beyond what I personally would expect for N Scale, and not something I personally would buy.
So, davidone,...I hope you get (or make) your "dozens".

The balance between proto accuracy and N Scale operation is probably a personal thing.
N scale train diaphragms are not high on my list, but for those that feel they are important....go for it.

Skip

davidone

Posted - 2008 December 29 :  12:49:58 AM  Show Profile
My thoughts on this is that the gap on most hood units F, E units etc just too distracting. I like my models to be as best as i can make them without limiting their running ability. C855B, i have thought of the same thing but with my limited use of one hand it would just be too hard for me to do. Atleast for now i will continue with the American models diaphrams.

Dave

Previous Topic: Would this work for MP steam Topic Next Topic: Cork Sheets?  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000