Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Photos & Report New Bowser C628's in D&H/PC
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 40 ]  [ Total: 40 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Photos & Report New Bowser C628's in D&H/PC
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: SD70I/SD75I Raised Walkways Topic Next Topic: Athearn 40 Fruehauf Trailers
Page: of 4

navarch2

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  12:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit navarch2's Homepage
Here are some images of two of the new Bowser C628's that came in today. One is in PC, one in D&H. both came non-sound/non-dcc. I added N-scale 8 pin DN143IP decoders to each with plug extenders. The sound units i'm told are delayed pending the arrival of the Tsunami sound boards.

These are essentially the old Stewart models as far as the shell is concerned, with added details such as pilot details, mu hoses, antenna, wipers, grabs etc. The paint on the D&H is quite nice. The handrails are the former Stewart rails, and are a bit on the heavy side.

The trucks, fuel tanks and air reservoirs are all former Stewart parts.

The drive is all new with all wheels now driven. You may recall the Stewart C628 had only 4 wheels driven on each axle. The power board is all new as well, with an 8-pin decoder plug. gone are the old Steewart class light LED's and the weak headlight. The new headlight is a bright white LED. It sits in a shrink tube and is aimed at the headlight lens casting, but therein lies one of the issues. The photos below explain it all.

Both the PC and D&H units came out of the box with this same handrail damage issue. A quick call to the place they came from indicated all of the units they had, had this issue. The corner rail on the engineer's side crams up against the foam in the packaging because there is a bit of slack in the fit in the box. I managed to fix it on both units but the paint on the rails chips easily and came off.

Here is the "fixed" PC unit rails.

Here is the other issue. The LED headlight, while in a shrink fit tube, still fills the cab with light. If you look at the PC unit above, I reduced this a bit by pressing the LEd up into the putty holding it in, but as you can see, that did not work on the D&H unit. The problem really lies in the window molding. It has an exposed edge along the top, which lies under the LEd and therefore acts like a light bar. The only way I can see to fix it is to add more shrink fit tubing and get it right up to the back of the lenses, with zero gap. Right now the unit has about a 1/8" gap there, causing the problem.

The untit runs smoothly, if not a bit noisy. It quieted down after an hours' break in running, has decent slow speed c ontrol in DCC, and pulls pretty well. I broke it in with a set of four Atlas U30C's and it speed-matched them pretty well.

The Bowser people at Springfield last year had said the D&H units would come with the correct air intake shield behind the cab, but as you see, it was left off. Not a big deal....but an item clearly seen on the prototype.

I have a sound one coming, and owning these I do feel there is room for an Atlas unit in the marketplace. I give these units a B+ overall, with rails, headlight issues bringing down the score, while the smooth mechanism and decoration, as well as the added details and body, helping raise it.

Bob

Visit the Providence Northern at:

www.providencenorthern.com

Reading Lines 1

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  06:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Reading Lines 1's Homepage
Well,
Now it's time for Atlas to either shrink their O Scale model or enlarge the N Scale versions to HO Scale.

Matt
http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w54/RDG5302

red P

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  07:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit red P's Homepage
I got one on order at my LHS, im looking forward to its arrival

red baron

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  07:28:25 AM  Show Profile
To me, one of the most glaring issues remain. The walkway over the radiator is a large solid chunk of plastic.
Don't get me wrong, that can be corrected but at the price it would have been a nice improvement over the original issue.
Of course, even the U25B had these "improvements", and I really think an Atlas version of the U25B would fill a market void (and a U25C while we're at it).....
But I still would welcome a Bowser C636 if they're going to step up to the plate.

navarch2

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  08:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit navarch2's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by red baron

To me, one of the most glaring issues remain. The walkway over the radiator is a large solid chunk of plastic.
Don't get me wrong, that can be corrected but at the price it would have been a nice improvement over the original issue.
Of course, even the U25B had these "improvements", and I really think an Atlas version of the U25B would fill a market void (and a U25C while we're at it).....
But I still would welcome a Bowser C636 if they're going to step up to the plate.

Yes, after the Atlas C420, we're all going to be spoiled with regard to how to handle that walkway atop the radiators on the Centuries.

I have all the Bowser D&H and PC numbers for this unit ordered via my LHS, and as it is the only 628 out there, and it really is a pretty nicely done, very nicely running model, I'll be inclined to also purchase the C630 which I'm told is the next from Bowser.

In my view, the C628 is the best looking road locomotive ever produced. We could do an entire thread on that alone - but its' angled cab front, round roof and arched hood, long length, trimount trucks and just the right number and configuration of "boxy" carbody protrusions on an otherwise smooth carbody, (giving it a "working power" look.....) all cooperate to make this a very good looking loco.

I'm happy with these units but yes, I can only imagine how great an Atlas HO version would be. I have three of the previous Stewart C628's in D&H, and they will be gutted, detailed and made into sound dummies.

Bob

Visit the Providence Northern at:

www.providencenorthern.com

amtrakb32

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  10:15:20 AM  Show Profile
Man those handrails really look huge. The yellow paint really brings that out. Kind of a bummer because they are good looking models.

Paul Hebert

DnHMike

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  10:48:04 AM  Show Profile
Hey come on guys, ALL you ever want to do is bash BOWSER. Nobody ever says what a GREAT job they are doing trying to turn this line around. Heck Rome wasn't built in a day!! Just look at the difference of this run of NEW century's compared to the releases of the old Stewart line!!

1 Paint colors are CORRECT not a guess of what they should be.

2 Rain shields, If you do you home work you will see that the ONLY D&H units that had these were phase 1's and the numbers chosen were phase 2 numbered units!

3 The NEW run has lift rings and Brass details which is a feature ATLAS does not have.

4 They also have the grill weathered.

5 They also have other details that Atlas does not. Proper horns and other road name specific details.............

I would also like to mention that I've spoke to Bowser and All of there engines in the future will use True line trains metal couplers a copy of the Kadee #5. Another feature that atlas does not have......

And they are trying to fix the packaging issue for the Sound Version.

Don't get me wrong Atlas does make a good product but BOWSER is & HAS come a LONG way from the old Stewart days.....

Also I have NO affiliation to them just my $.02 worth...

Mike

MONONC420

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  10:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit MONONC420's Homepage
A pair of D&H 628's sounds really tempting!
Christian

Modeling the Central Railway of Indianapolis Circa. 1996-1998

"Central!"

amtrakb32

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  11:12:35 AM  Show Profile
They also have HUGE handrails, can't they fix that?

Paul Hebert

E Heney

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  11:26:45 AM  Show Profile
I just hope Bowser/Stewart sells enough of this first run to warrant doing some ACL or SCL units on the second (or third?) runs. I haven't seen them market undecs yet, since the current emphasis seems to be on getting road specific details correct on the RTR units.

Those handrails look to be 3 scale inches diameter or so.

Could probably use a bit of silver or black paint in the (unseen) portion of the cab glass adjacent to the headlight that is acting like a light bar. This would prevent "light pollution" and the Athearn fire-in-the-cab look.

John Mock

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  12:58:27 PM  Show Profile
I had a chance to examine these in person at my favorite store:

The handrails are NOT huge, but where they are painted, the paint film is rather thick--thus the handrails seem to be thicker than they really are.

I was told the handrails have been redone already because the previous Stewart handrails apparently didn't stay attached very well.

John

jbonzo1

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  2:13:01 PM  Show Profile
The bent handrails are a concern. I don't like the sideframes either. Hopefully, when the PRR units show up in ten years or so, corrections will be made. The Executive Line U25B's are nice, but their handrails are hideous.

rdc_jay

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  2:29:40 PM  Show Profile
Got a pair of snow white LV in transit now. Thanks for the thorough review!

carrman

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  4:21:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DnHMike

Hey come on guys, ALL you ever want to do is bash BOWSER.

No, all we ever want to do is bash MTH, or is that Athearn, or is it Kato this week? What we got here was an honest review of a revised product, and truthfully pointed out the pluses and minuses of the unit. How is that bashing?

Dave

Paul Cutler III

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  5:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Paul Cutler III's Homepage
DnHMike,
With the New Haven U25B's, Bowser messed up in the number font on the cab sides and on the number boards. This is a step backward from previous Stewart efforts. So not everything Bowser has done has been an improvement.

Paul A. Cutler III

Reading Lines 1

Posted - 2008 December 12 :  5:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Reading Lines 1's Homepage
I am not bashing Bowser, I would just rather have a smooth running, nicely detail Atlas Master Series C628, C630, and C636.
I Have 7 Centuries from the first run several years ago, and really like them. But again their no Atlas.

Matt
http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w54/RDG5302

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: SD70I/SD75I Raised Walkways Topic Next Topic: Athearn 40 Fruehauf Trailers  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000