Atlas Model Railroad Co. - Free Online Printable HO Scale ruler
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 29 ]  [ Total: 29 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 HO Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Free Online Printable HO Scale ruler
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: What do Mark 3 and  Mark IV mean? Topic Next Topic: Wiring Atlas Motorized Roundhouse
Page: of 2

Michael Moore

Posted - 2008 September 24 :  1:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Moore's Homepage
Instead of buying an HO ruler, I found these online to print out. The large ruler listed needs to be printed on legal paper. The short ruler prints out fine on standard 8½x11 paper.

Rulers courtesy of Chimera Gorge Western Railroad: http://www.xs4all.nl/~lhonings/rulers.html
Click on the green sign to visit my HO railroad page. Click on the Las Vegas Mikey logo to visit my Las Vegas history website.

“Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.” - Humphrey Bogart

E Heney

Posted - 2008 September 24 :  2:45:54 PM  Show Profile
You do know that any printed image is scaled up/down slightly when copied/printed...nature of the beast really.

A printed version of this scale might be OK for "Military work" , but I wouldn't trust it for applications requiring less than about ~6" of resolution on the HO measuring scale.

el3637

Posted - 2008 September 24 :  3:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by E Heney

You do know that any printed image is scaled up/down slightly when copied/printed...nature of the beast really.

Depending on the image format, you should be able to adjust the scale so that when it prints out, it's dead on or at least useful. Trial and error, plus having a "hard" HO ruler to check against, and you should get a workable combination. Then print out a whole bunch of them. Having a "disposable" HO ruler really has a lot of uses.

Andy

chrisbutts

Posted - 2008 September 24 :  3:33:09 PM  Show Profile
Serious? A scale ruler costs 10 bucks. Is the economy that bad?

chrisbutts

GP18

Posted - 2008 September 24 :  3:56:43 PM  Show Profile
That's another 10 bucks I coud use towards some Cannon parts!

TwoHands

Posted - 2008 September 24 :  4:21:13 PM  Show Profile
TEN BUCKS for a strip of printed plastic and inch wide? 3 of those strips get you an Intermountain hopper car or a month of unlimited call calls- you tell me what's overpriced. J

quote:
Originally posted by chrisbutts

What horn?

el3637

Posted - 2008 September 24 :  4:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit el3637's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by chrisbutts

I don't think the paper ruler would replace a hard scale ruler. But being able to print out throwaways could be very handy - you could use them as templates, or measure a curve or circumference, or any surface you might not be able to use a hard ruler on.

Andy

charlief

Posted - 2008 September 24 :  7:03:59 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so I printed it off; and the scale was way out of proportion. One foot in HO should equal 1.1 eighths of an inch. The partial ruler that printed out was too big. One HO foot was 7/16 of an inch. As a consequence it started at 52'6" and ran up to 71'. Hence it printed only about a quarter of the ruler.

Edited by - charlief on 2008 September 24 7:13:12 PM

astrosa

Posted - 2008 September 24 :  7:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit astrosa's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by charlief

Okay, so I printed it off; and the scale was way out of proportion. One foot in HO should equal 1.1 eighths of an inch. The partial ruler that printed out was too big. One HO foot was 7/16 of an inch. As a consequence it started at 52'6" and ran up to 71'. Hence it printed only about a quarter of the ruler.

This means you printed it at the wrong resolution (should be 300dpi). If you downloaded the GIF version of it, the image was probably set internally to screen resolution (96dpi). I downloaded and printed the TIFF version of the short ruler after converting it to B&W in Photoshop and increasing the contrast so it would use less ink.

The first time I printed it, the markings matched my scale ruler almost exactly from 0 to 71'. The second time, it was off by a scale 3" at the end for an error of 0.35%. Still not that bad, but not quite accurate enough for me.

BTW, I don't consider a plastic scale ruler a 'real' one either. I have a couple around that I use in a pinch, or for a rounded surface like Andy said, but my real one is an etched stainless steel straightedge from General. One of those is definitely worth $10 for how well it's served me so far.

Edit: I think the main problem with these printable rulers is that they're raster/pixel-based images, which I was surprised to see. A printable ruler (or any dimensioned drawing) created as a vector-based image and saved as a PDF has a much higher likelihood of being accurate when printed, since the data is saved as coordinates and distances instead of just dots on a grid.

Alex Stroshane
--
Amtrak Prototype & Model
http://www.trainweb.org/asamtrak911

Edited by - astrosa on 2008 September 24 7:31:34 PM

Michael Moore

Posted - 2008 September 24 :  9:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Moore's Homepage
Instead of diving 50 miles round-trip to a hobby shop to buy a ruler, I went with the short printable one. I checked it against a Millimeter ruler, and it came out exact. Next time I go by Office Depot, I will have it laminated.

What I want it for is measuring my rolling stock car length. I am not going to be building any scale prototype buildings.

When/if I visit the hobby shop in Jeanette, PA, I will buy a "real" ruler. Since I get only 9 mpg in my F-150, I can't justify the cost of driving to Jeanette just for a $4 ruler.

Click on the green sign to visit my HO railroad page. Click on the Las Vegas Mikey logo to visit my Las Vegas history website.

“Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.” - Humphrey Bogart

atsfman

Posted - 2008 September 25 :  08:55:00 AM  Show Profile
Have two metal scale rulers, bought both many years ago, so I have no reason for paper ones, the metal rulers have earned what I paid for them in quality work, but to each his own.

Bob

Bob Miller
Modeling the Santa Fe
in Oklahoma 1989
http://atsfmodelrailroads.com

smudgeloco

Posted - 2008 September 25 :  09:26:24 AM  Show Profile
Well Michael, I thank you for posting this link. I just printed off the short HO ruler and it is perfect. I am going to stick it to a strip of wood, using modge-podge (This will give it some protection too, when painted over the top). For the use I will give it it is perfectly adequate.

Michael.

Oh for the days when coal was king and steam ruled.
For pics etc -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smudgeloco/

http://community.webshots.com/user/smudgeloco

http://www.youtube.com/user/smudgeloco

Luther Brefo

Posted - 2008 September 25 :  10:04:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luther Brefo's Homepage
Metal scale rules can be order online...You're all already on the internet. Use it!

9 MPG is a whole other story. I get about 32 MPG. but then again I don't drive a truck, except at work but even that the F350(Diesel) gets much better than 9.

Here are some metal scale rulers.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/285-1251

or

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/230-711

I have the MASCOT one myself. It's wonderful. Simply throw onto your next order from Walthers.

Luther Brefo
www.lalrailfan.net

Benny

Posted - 2008 September 25 :  3:01:36 PM  Show Profile
Metal is the only way to go...

charlief

Posted - 2008 September 25 :  6:02:52 PM  Show Profile
The CTT plastic ruler 233-9087 is only $3.29 [not ten bucks] and the Mascot metal ruler is $7.24 at my favorite supplier http://1stplacehobbies.com

Edited by - charlief on 2008 September 25 6:11:46 PM

Luther Brefo

Posted - 2008 September 25 :  6:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luther Brefo's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Benny

Metal is the only way to go...

Agreed!

Nice clean, straight cuts every single time and your new X-Acto blades won't nick it.

Luther Brefo
www.lalrailfan.net

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: What do Mark 3 and  Mark IV mean? Topic Next Topic: Wiring Atlas Motorized Roundhouse  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000