Atlas Model Railroad Co. - 36"x80" layout
Atlas Model Railroad Co.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Atlas Model Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Rules   FAQ  
Active Topics | Members | Online Users | Forum Archive | Basic Forum (Mac / Netscape Users) | Search | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 32 ]  [ Total: 32 ]  [ Newest Member: jjbern ]
 All Forums
 Atlas Model Railroad Forums
 N Scale Model Railroad Forum
 36"x80" layout
Next Page
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Sunday Night Photo Fun (SNFF) - 2008/10/05 Topic Next Topic: Walthers Overhead Crane - Im Confused
Page: of 4

harrys_trains

Posted - 2008 August 31 :  2:57:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey guys
just got myself a nice hcd 36"x80" now i just need a nice track plan. my personal preferences are to watch the nice train pulled by steam. a few sidings to give it a nice reason to be. but mainly i want to watch the beautiful steam engine pull. any suggestions?
thanks
Harry
Harry A Richardson

Dave Vollmer

Posted - 2008 August 31 :  3:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave Vollmer's Homepage
Check out my webpage; I have a trackplan based on a Model Railroader project layout for a 36" x 80" door.

http://www.thevollmerfamily.com/Pennsy/index.html

It's double track with lots of running.

Visit the N Scale Juniata Division

davefoxx

Posted - 2008 August 31 :  3:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Harry,

Dave Vollmer's layout is beautiful and certainly an inspiration for hollow-core door layouts. Also, check out the following thread on layouts by fellow forumers which are based on Model Railroader's Carolina Central layout.

http://forum.atlasrr.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43495

Dave Foxx

Michigan Central

Posted - 2008 August 31 :  5:30:39 PM  Show Profile
Kere is a link to a site called Mike's track plans - he has several interesting door sized layout ideas

http://www.naisp.net/mfischer/m_train2.htm

Obviously someone is buying MT fantasy cars, could it be you?

http://z11.invisionfree.com/N_Scale_Talk

Doug Gosha

Posted - 2008 August 31 :  5:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Gosha's Homepage
Dave Vollmer's layout is beautiful. A lot of you guys sure have weird looking power packs though.

Doug

Atlas First Generation Locomotives and Treble-O-Lectric - Click on Link
http://www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos

harrys_trains

Posted - 2008 August 31 :  6:40:55 PM  Show Profile
Dave to be honest i love how you have done your layout and i also love the steam engines you have created. i am leaning toward your track plan just looking for maybe something with a new twist?

Harry A Richardson

midwestrailroader

Posted - 2008 August 31 :  8:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Ok .. here is some outside of the box thinking .. cut the door in half, and make it a shelf layout

Salt

Edited by - midwestrailroader on 2008 August 31 8:44:44 PM

Dave Vollmer

Posted - 2008 August 31 :  10:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave Vollmer's Homepage
Thanks for the kind words, everyone... I didn't do anything special, though. I owe much of whatever success I may have achieved to the techniques invented and mastered by others as well as to the great selection of products available today.

Oh, and this is my fifth layout...

Visit the N Scale Juniata Division

Edited by - Dave Vollmer on 2008 August 31 10:22:56 PM

Roger Perkins

Posted - 2008 September 01 :  08:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Roger Perkins's Homepage
"Track Planning for Realistic Operation" contains some great ideas. I think the first printing was in 1963 according to my copy; I do not know if it is still available. My first layout was roughly the size you posted and my interest was steam and still is steam.
I actually started with one of the yards in the subject book on page 86 figure 9-6 as the center of my layout and then worked in a mainline around the yard. I had dreams of a larger layout at the time and those materialized a few years later as I added modules to this initial plan.
That central yard idea survives today some 33 years later.
I did a quick Google search and this seems to still be available in a more current printing.
It is an excellent resource.

Edited by - Roger Perkins on 2008 September 01 8:51:29 PM

midwestrailroader

Posted - 2008 September 01 :  9:00:55 PM  Show Profile
skipandfun . where did your post go? The one where you told the guy to think outside of the box?

Salt

DJCONWAY

Posted - 2008 September 02 :  3:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Harry

Also take a look at 4'x8' HO scale plans, with a little editing in RTS they can be adapted for N scale. Think 18" HO curves as 9.75" N

Do your part buy stuff!

harrys_trains

Posted - 2008 September 02 :  9:08:38 PM  Show Profile
i found this it is close to Daves layout but i like the double around ability and the crossing of another rail line am trying to figure out how best to possibly change this to a folded dogbone

Harry A Richardson

wlal21

Posted - 2008 September 02 :  10:36:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by davefoxx

Harry,

Dave Vollmer's layout is beautiful and certainly an inspiration for hollow-core door layouts. Also, check out the following thread on layouts by fellow forumers which are based on Model Railroader's Carolina Central layout.

http://forum.atlasrr.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43495

Dave Foxx

I used a variation of the Carolina Central and am very happy with it.

It`s times like this I ask myself, "what would Jimmy Buffet do?"

Brakie

Posted - 2008 September 03 :  12:06:57 AM  Show Profile
When designing a 36"x80" door layout one must use the space wisely by thinking out side of the box.
My all time favorite layout was on a 36"x80" door..I had a double track main line,a 6 track yard,a 4 track engine terminal and a industrial park that contain 6 industries.A city with tall buildings acted as a view block..There was no space eating mountains,lake ports and other such space eaters..I wanted a operating layout and not just another ho-humm "caboose chaser" with limited operation possibilities.
That layout gave me 8 1/2 years of operation pleasure.

That is what one can do IF he/she thinks out side of the layout design box.

Larry
Summerset Ry.

Edited by - Brakie on 2008 September 03 12:08:38 AM

jacobmarley

Posted - 2008 September 03 :  08:46:00 AM  Show Profile
Harry, one important question is will you have visible and physical access around the entire layout? A 36x80 can present some problems if you can't walk around it. The reason I decided on the Carolina Central was that my space dictated I have access only from the front. Most of the action is visible from the one angle. I love the idea of the double-sided layout, but sometimes that's just not realistic in a limited space.

Al

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~Albus Dumbledore

harrys_trains

Posted - 2008 September 04 :  9:17:39 PM  Show Profile
yes i will have access to three sides of this layout. i like this plane because of the added length of mainline run available. and the crossing line is a nice touch give the feel of interchange with another rail road maybe i can pretend it is dave's road? wonders if any of his steam would come visit then ? doubt it but can always hope.

Harry A Richardson

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Sunday Night Photo Fun (SNFF) - 2008/10/05 Topic Next Topic: Walthers Overhead Crane - Im Confused  
 Forum Locked |   Topic Locked |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Atlas Model Railroad Co. © 1709-2011 Atlas Models Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000